SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wmwb

Need to replace washer/Dryer quickly - need advice

wmwb
15 years ago

I've read through this website and while there is clearly alot of interesting information posted by knowledgeable people who have spent alot of time and thought on the subject - it is quite overwhelming and not easily conducive to helping making a good decision quickly - which is what I need to do at this point.

My old washer is now basically dead - my husband is afraid to let me use it anymore due to the horrible noises and burning smell it is now making. I would use it anyway, but he has unplugged it and the plug has fallen behind the washer - so its not an option :)

Well good riddens to it - it was 40 years old and nothing to write home about- but I need to replace it asap and I don't have time to agonize over the decision - but I want to make a reasonably intelligent decision.

The parameters limit our options:

The only space for the w/d is a laundry nook in the hallway. The space is only 28" deep and 57.5" wide and we would like to be able to mount a shoji screen above to cordon off the site when not in use. Also would like to mount a shelf or counter over the washer dryer to have some folding space. I assume we would want a pedestal to raise the height of the front loaders.

We want a FL washer and matching dryer side by side. We used to having such an old cruddy machine that I'm sure we will be delighted with most of the current options. I am sold on the internal heater option but other than that I don't have set ideas. Reliability is important because I don't want to have to do this again very soon. Most important is that it cannot take up more than 28" in depth in its installation (hoses,etc..). That said - we would like as big a capacity as we can get with that restriction.

Any advice on how best to work with or choose a retailer or installer? Anything to avoid?

How (not)deep does the unit have to be to fit into a 28" space installed?? I am concerned the retailer will tell me one thing and once installed the unit will stick out...... Are some brands better than others when it comes to this issue?

I am really overwhelmed by the amount of information don't know the best approach.... From my one or two forays into an appliance store I wanted to just cry. The sales person was just useless in terms of information.....

Comments (24)