SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgseason_gw

1st time buying washer/dryer, need your advice!

jgseason
14 years ago

Hi,

I found this site as I search for info. on clothes washers and dryers. My DH and I are moving from a condo (with a shared laundry room) to a townhouse and need to purchase a clothes washer and dryer for our new home. (There is a laundry closet on the second floor and hookups but no machines currently in place).

We are thinking that we'd like to get a FL washer because of the better efficiency. More than that, we are clueless as to reliable brands and what to expect to pay for a reliable, long-lasting brand.

I've read some good things about LG and Miele on here, but I'm concerned about vibrations (something I've read in conjunction with the LG, I think). Since the laundry will be on the second floor as opposed to in the basement, I'd like a quiet machine.

Besides going to the library to look up reviews in Consumer Reports, what other resources should I be looking at? Are there some brands that we should generally stay away from, and others that tend to be very good? What should we expect to pay? I see prices all over the map, from $500 to over $1000, and I have no idea what that extra $500 gets you.

Thanks!

Comments (16)