SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bosewichte

1st time heat mat set-up...advice?

bosewichte
12 years ago

For too many years I've tried to start seeds indoors (germinating on hot water bottles, in sunny windows, etc.) only to have leggy, weak seedlings that don't make it in my garden.

This year, I'm getting serious. I'm getting ready to purchase a Hydrofarm Seedling Heat Mat (48 x 20"). I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right...the heat mat will be set up on top of an insulating piece of foam core in my cold basement. It's usually 50 - 60 degrees down there. I'm planning to go to Home Depot and buy a fluorescent light. So, leave mat on until seedlings pop up, uncover them, and put the fluorescent light a few inches over the seedlings, raising the light as the seedlings grow. Keep them moist.

Is that all there is to it? Will the heat mat be enough to germinate the seeds in my cold basement? I should say that I'm only growing flowers, no veggies. Will an ordinary fluorescent light provide enough heat, or should I get something else? Is 2 - 3 inches above seedlings enough distance?

Thanks so much for your help! I hate to put out all the money to buy the mat, seeds, and light if it's not going to work. Oh, by the way, do I need a thermometer? I don't think my mat comes with one.

Also...any guess as to how many seeds I can fit on a 48 x 20" mat?

Thanks again!

Comments (5)