SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloudy_christine

Advice on buying a washer and dryer?

cloudy_christine
13 years ago

Well, my old Maytag top-loader has problems not worth fixing, so I need to buy a new washer ASAP. I know this needs more research than my big pile of laundry will allow.

A quick look at the scary laundry forum showed me that there are many complaints about front-loaders, even the expensive ones. I guess I want a front loader, just for the increased capacity, although I still don't really understand how the clothes get clean. I do hate my Maytag; it has an agitator with slits at the bottom of the fins, and they shred towels.

I'd appreciate any opinions about brands, features to look for, etc.

Comments (27)

• jessyf
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOL I understand. They are really nice people over there. Just don't get them started on H-axis versus a tilted drum and you are OK. Lets start with a questionnaire I created and I keep on my clippings.

Washing Machine Questionnaire

Do you want a front loader (FL) or top loader (TL)?

If you want a front loader, do you want an internal heater? If you dont know, please read the Laundry Room FAQ about them. Worth it!

Where in the house will the washer be set up  second floor, basement, closet? What is the floor made of? (a front loader on a second, wood floor is NOT a good idea)

What are your space configurations/confinements? Are you looking for undercounter units?

How big a machine do you want? How many loads a week do you do or want to do?

Do you have special laundry considerations like shedding pets, or young children in diapers? Do you have any problems now that you are hoping to solve with a new machine?

How important to you is the loudness of the machine?

Do you want controls on the top rear or front of the machine?

Where are your hook-ups  washer on left/right, stackable?

Are you looking for just a washer, and if not, do you need/want a matching dryer?

What factors are most important to you: cost, reliability, performance, speed, water/electricity savings, controls (specify things like: water temp, type and amount of cycles, cycle times, spin speed, ability to open the machine and add chemicals or clothes)?

How much do you want to spend?

Do you have a preferred vendor  Sears, Best Buy, Independent retailer, Lowes/Home Depot (some may have deals going)? STAY AWAY FROM BEST BUY

Have you called a few of the extended warranty companies to ensure they are within servicing distance?

Don't buy a scratch and dent front loader. Get one new out of the box. You don't know if the drum will have been damaged by movement. No problem on scratch/dent top loaders.

Extra fancy features means extra fancy repair prices!

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Awwww, come on Jessy, show 'the picture' if you still have it.

I'm no help at all on washers. I have an old Maytag stacked set that has got to be at least 25 yrs old. When a belt busted about 5 years ago (only thing that has ever broken) I asked the repair man how long he thought they would last and he told me, "they will probably out live you". I doubt it but this guy has a whole house full of parts, so at least I know who to call.

CC, they don't make them like they used to.

Nancy

• Related Discussions

Can I get some washer/dryer advice? Model no.'s included.

Q

Comments (1)
    Speed Queen, Speed Queen, Speed Queen!!! A Speed Queen has everything that you are asking for, and nothing that you don't need. I've had my model AWN542 since May '12 and I am in love with this washing machine. It is built like a tank, actually uses WATER to get my clothes clean, doesn't have a bunch of electronic crap to break, and washes load after load after load beautifully. In all the time I've had it, it has never had an unbalanced load, even when washing throw rugs or blankets. The 542 model has gentle and delicate cycles and an extra rinse cycle as well. A 3-year warranty is standard. It is more expensive than most top loaders (mine was $830 OTD), but it is a very well made and simple machine and I don't see myself replacing it for a long, long time. After seeing what else was out there, I didn't blink at paying the extra money for the Speed Queen. I can't recommend this machine enough! Seriously, go look at everything else, and then go look at the Speed Queen. It won't hurt to read the testimonials online, either. People are happy with this washing machine because it does what it should do ... clean clothes WELL.
    ...See More

washer/dryer for cabin

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello - I know that you didn't ask these questions, but being a cabin owner, I have a couple of suggestions. I don't have a washing machine at my cabin. My water is HARD, HARD, HARD. Even when I've handwashed things, they come out looking worse. I'm not going to get a water softener, I'm just a part timer. Also, my water contains a high amount of sulpher. I have 5 gallon containers that I fill at home to take to the cabin for drinking and cooking. I have a 750 gallon septic tank. Kinda small considering doing any laundry anyway. The 'septic folks' suggested 1000 gallons or more for a part time use. They also recommended a minimum 1500 gallons for full-time, moderate use. They also suggested a lint screen for the washing machine, apparently they make them especially for septic tanks because non-natural fibers will not break down in the septic tank. They also recommended having the 'honey pot' pump every 2 years. I've looked into it quite a bit. Too much money for me to spend on bed linens...at this point. But, if we retire, I'll need to consider the jump...
    ...See More

Buying my very first Washer and Dryer - Recommendations?

Q

Comments (2)
    Congratulations on your first house! Depending on upon how long you intend to stay in this home before you move up I would consider a moderately priced set that you can leave behind when you sell this house; this allows you to start with a new washer and dryer in your next home. I suggest Fisher & Paykel; great value for the money. Fisher & Paykel offers no units with steam, but the steam is more for guarding against wrinkling in the dryer, and supposedly enhances cleaning in the washer (although given the circumstance I cannot see its value in a washing machine as there is not enough steam pressure and/or agitation against the clothing to make it effective).
    ...See More

Washer/Dryer Advice

Q

Comments (5)
    My ds and dil bought an HE TL washer at a Sears outlet and saved $$$ because there is a tiny dent at the bottom which no one can see. She absolutely loves it. I have a Maytag Bravos HE TL washer. It uses much less water and energy than a conventional TL, yet its capacity is huge - 4.6 cu ft. I can wash a king-size comforter with ease. I also have a large family so I wash a lot of clothes. If you don't need that space and don't mind using more water and energy, there are some conventional TL's on the market. If I were to buy a conventional TL again, I think I'd get this Whirlpool model: Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool washer
    ...See More
  • compumom
    13 years ago

They sure don't! I have a Bosch FL set. It works well and uses much less detergent (Charlie's Soap-- another Laundry Forum fave)than my old Maytag. They're quiet, but the cycles are longer than the TL. I'm happy except the door on the washer never shut quite right despite a few service calls by Bosch. They ended up cracking the plastic front facia and it was replaced. Now 2 yrs later it's cracked slightly again. I'm gonna try and complain during summer vacation when I have more time to sit home and wait for a repairman.
    When I decided FL, I had to go with Bosch because they had a lower pedestal base than other brands. Having a front loader w/o a pedestal would be a deal breaker for my back. Also, we have cabinetry above the machines and I didn't want to lose the opportunity to prep party trays or what have you on the tops of the machines.
    DD has the Samsung FL and is happy. Of course she's young and doesn't need a pedestal, but it's still a long reach inside.

DM & I went shopping for a set for her around the same time as I was researching mine. She wanted top loading and didn't care about bells and whistles. We ended up buying Whirlpool's from Costco. They work well, but boy are they loud! I'd hate it, but Mom is a bit hard of hearing so I guess she doesn't care.

Good luck CC, it's not a fun task and they cost a bundle!

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

I'm no help, I bought a used low-end Maytag washer/dryer set on Craig's List for 225.00 for both. They were like new. Our clothes are clean enough and we are not an embarrassment to the public. I buy towels in bulk from Costo and don't care all that much what becomes of them.

• spacific
    13 years ago

Jessy,
    I too have been a bit scared to wander over to the Laundry forum, but both my washer and dryer are on their last legs (10 years old frigidaire front loaders making lots of noise, lots of big loads of jeans or packing blankets full of dog hair) Below are my answers to your questionnaire... any hope for me?

Washing Machine Questionnaire

- Space is only available for max 27-in width stacked front loading washer and dryer

If you want a front loader, do you want an internal heater? If you dont know, please read the Laundry Room FAQ about them. Worth it!

- I'll trust you on the internal heater question.

Where in the house will the washer be set up second floor, basement, closet? What is the floor made of? (a front loader on a second, wood floor is NOT a good idea)

- ground floor, slate over cement slab

What are your space configurations/confinements? Are you looking for undercounter units?

- no terrible height/depth restrictions, only width

- because of the dog blanket requirements (old, semi-incontinent lab), I'm washing at least 1 load a day

Do you have special laundry considerations like shedding pets, or young children in diapers? Do you have any problems now that you are hoping to solve with a new machine?

- 2 shedding labs

- sounds like an airport runway during the washing spin cycle now (didn't use to be that bad), so anything would be an improvement

- don't care

Where are your hook-ups washer on left/right, stackable?

- when looking at the front of the machine, the dry vents to the right. I think the water hookup is on the left, but that could be changed if necessary.

Are you looking for just a washer, and if not, do you need/want a matching dryer?

- they're both going down the drain, need stacking, so I'm guessing the answer is need/want matching

What factors are most important to you: cost, reliability, performance, speed, water/electricity savings, controls (specify things like: water temp, type and amount of cycles, cycle times, spin speed, ability to open the machine and add chemicals or clothes)?

- I don't use lots of different cycles, simpler with high reliability and performance is much better than too many cycles and gadgets. It's fine to have long cycles, more noise if I get better price/performance for the trade-off

- It's been so long since I priced them, not really a clue. A $5000 splurge (La Canche range) was by far the highest price I ever paid for an appliance (d/w scratch & dent, refrigerator a gift from a friend moving, etc.) so I will pay if there's a huge jump in quality to get what I need, but... what can I get that fits the bill for around $2000 for the pair?

Do you have a preferred vendor Sears, Best Buy, Independent retailer, Lowes/Home Depot (some may have deals going)? STAY AWAY FROM BEST BUY

- doesn't matter, you know what I have access too, I don't like Best Buy either.

Have you called a few of the extended warranty companies to ensure they are within servicing distance?

- I've used Carter's for repair work for the d/w (while it was under warranty) and the washer (not under warranty). But DH is very handy. He's done the last few repairs to both the washer and dryer, so I probably won't pay for an extended warranty.

Don't buy a scratch and dent front loader. Get one new out of the box. You don't know if the drum will have been damaged by movement. No problem on scratch/dent top loaders.

Extra fancy features means extra fancy repair prices!

• cloudy_christine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jessica, thank you so much! Here are my answers.
    Ellen, those are really helpful things to know.

CC answers Jessy's Washing Machine Questionnaire:

I guess a front loader, mostly for the larger capacity. But Im put off by the problems. DH thinks a top-loader is a better idea, but Im doubtful. What do you think?

Ill go read about it.

Where in the house will the washer be set up second floor, basement, closet? What is the floor made of? (a front loader on a second, wood floor is NOT a good idea)
    In the cellar. Its really a cellar, not a finished basement, so the cement floor is strong but Im thinking it may be too uneven.

Depth matters, just for geater convenience. Otherwise space doesnt matter much. I would like to keep the counter-height surface. Neck problems may mean I'd need a pedestal with a front-loader?

Several loads a week but not very big ones. Need large capacity just for blankets, spreads, etc.

No pets, no kids at home. Problems: the agitator rips things, and the water temperature is too uneven. I would ideally like a washer that allows me to select a temperature. Ive been imagining that this could be done just with mixing, but maybe the way to do it is with a heater? If I could select a temp I could actually use less hot water. Id use the cold setting more if I could tell it to be sixty degrees and not forty degrees.

Not very, within reason.

Top rear, unless its high.

Where are your hook-ups washer on left/right, stackable?
    Washer on right.

Dryer, too. My dryer has a sensor setting that drives me nuts. I have to start it over again every time because the stuff is never dry, thus using much more electricity and inflicting twice as many stair trips on my knees.

Reliability. Controls that allow a choice of temperatures and cycles. Not getting moldy-smelling as I keep hearing front-loaders do. It will be in an 80-year-old cellar. If it can mold, it will.

Sigh. About half what Im going to, I guess! I am looking at the $800 "moderate" range of front-loaders, probably. Especially since the Bosch top-of-the-line seems to have problems.

Do you have a preferred vendor Sears, Best Buy, Independent retailer, Lowes/Home Depot (some may have deals going)? STAY AWAY FROM BEST BUY
    I will not deal with Sears. I prefer local appliance companies, although the Lowes next-day delivery thing is calling to me.

Do I want an extended warranty? I always thought theyre supposed to be a bad idea.

• jude31
    13 years ago

OT but, in a remote sort of way, it's related. Does anyone else have a problem with washcloths being very stiff when they're laundered. I haven't changed detergent and I do use Downy fabric softener. I now rinse my towels twice thinking there might be residual soap still in them. Doesn't help.
    And another thing, I noticed on the labels of my towels some of them say 'gentle cycle'. Is this a new thing or have I just been living in a fog?

Any opinions?

jude

• compumom
    13 years ago

Just time for a quick word-- LOWES has a 10% discount (or they did) for "new home buyers". You must register online and they email it to you a few days later. That swung the deal to Lowe's. My washer hook up was on the right too, but that didn't matter, they just extended the tubing so I could switch them so the doors opened in opposite directions to bale the wet stuff into the dryer.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

No help here either, I have a 30 year old Admiral that's still going strong and a dryer that the boss gave to me when she replaced hers. Dave fixed the door latch and other than a constant squeak, it works fine.

Elery would like to get a front loader, I don't know anyone who has one who is happy with it. I'm short and he says I won't want to stand on my head getting clothes out of the bottom of the washer in 10 more years, but I don't think that's a problem, really. I don't do a lot of laundry but there will be "farm clothes" which can include heavy stuff like Carhartt's and coveralls.

So, I'll be watching this, just to see what people think and what you get for your money!

Annie

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

I'm happy with my front loader and I'm short! We put our small front loaders on a platform with drawers (and wire baskets) underneath the platform, which serve as hampers. In addition, there are three baskets on top of the W/D. I bought what was considered a workhorse at the time (Miele) and in 6 years have had no problems with it.

Jessy's right about picking a washer with an internal heater. It will actually get your clothes clean.

I know a lot of people who seem to have huge front loaders. I'd rather do smaller loads, but that's just me.

My old Maytag (which is still in my basement) actually works, but it wasn't getting my clothes clean. The amount of soap I used in that compared to the 1-2 T. I use now, seems like a lot, in hindsight. I laughed as my friend carted her huge box of laundry soap through Costco (before she made the switch to front loader), thinking about my small container with the tablespoon taking up residence in my laundry closet.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

[busy day can't type, but reading, I promise to answer fully when I come back

BTW Lowe's 10% coupon good for anything, just ask, if you are breathing they will give it to you]

• Gina_W
    13 years ago

I fought buying the expensive front loaders when I needed to replace my units in my condo. I bought an economical Whirlpool top-loader and new dryer set. They worked very nicely - so much so that when I moved to this house I bought the exact same ones. I can let you know the models when I get home.

The washers I never had a problem with. The old dryer at the condo started taking longer and longer to dry clothes. When I got the new one there, it also took a long time. I hired a vent cleaner to come out and boy! was the vent full of lint. It was amazing really. After cleaning, the dryer dries in no time.

I like the "cool down" selection on the new dryer.

Expense was one reason I went with a top loader again, but also because I like simple machines with not a lot of parts (and electronics) to break. The more bells and whistles, the more repair. Just like cars - they are getting more and more loaded with electronics and software. My girlfriend's BMW 750 has a dashboard that looks like NASA mission control - she doesn't know how to use all the options after a year.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Gina, you're right on the bells and whistles, the more things there are to make work, the more problems you are going to experience. Machines break, eventually, they just do. I'm with you, the simpler, the better.

Dave was just cursing BMW the other day, he was working on one and said that just the seat adjustment part had something like 126 separate little motors and if one went kaput, there went your seat adjustment, so you gotta test 'em all or something. He was just shaking his head. For the record, though, he fixed it.

I do NOT want a washer with 126 separate little motors that have to be tested, that's for sure!

Annie

• cloudy_christine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gina, I just heard on the news that Lowe's July 4th sale has 20% off on all Whirlpool appliances, so please do tell me your model numbers.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

I have a few minutes.

TL = top load, FL = front load, HE = high efficiency (special non-sudsing soap required)

Cloudy & Pam: I no longer know about specific brands and models, it has been too long that I have lived on the Laundry room forum. I don't see any of my old homies, either. My list of questions were suggestions so you know what to rule in/out when you go to the stores - which way the doors should open, and how much clearance you need etc. I agree with Gina, you don't need expensive machines. The ONLY one I would drop big $ on is the Meiles. They are built to last.

As mentioned here, there are two kinds of machines: old reliable ones that use lots of electricity and water, and the newer ones that are planned to be obsolete/broken in five or ten years. Choose your poison. Nothing wrong with inexpensive top loaders.

With regard to extended warranties, I buy them for home appliances. It paid off handsomely for my beloved Danby - the internal hoses kept developing friction leaks. I bought one for my Bosch Nexxt - both cost me $100 each for four years. Sears' is way more expensive than that but I understand from a friend they also come out yearly for inspections. If you are handy, and your machine is simple enough (like a belt driven machine vs. LG's direct drive), I'd pass. I suggest calling the extended warranty company to find out (1) how long it takes to get a repair person over, and (2) parts availability. LG as well as Bosch had problems at the beginnings of their model introductions, and the horror stories were legendary. Bosch did not have enough trained people out there, and LG didn't have the parts. I think both issues have been resolved over time, but you get the point. Still, it pays to ensure someone is available who knows how to work on your machine. One city can be different from another .

Just as important is WHERE you buy your machine. As much as possible I like to support my hometown appliance dealer, nuff said. In Los Angeles, Pacific Sales is the best local chain, now owned by Best Buy, but so far I haven't seen any evidence of BB evil. So Spacific, I recommend Pacific Sales. Look for the best customer service and someone who will stand behind the machine if it doesn't work out . Home Depot and Best Buy have horrific appliance customer service histories.

I advocate used machines, but ONLY ONLY ONLY regular old top loaders, and simple ones at that. Front loaders have huge blocks of concrete to stabilize the drum while spinning and one wrong bump can throw off the suspension/balancing system. I think the HE (high efficiency, low water usage) top loaders are exempt from that, but I'm not too sure. There is a FAQ on the LR forum about making sure the delivery people do NOT remove the transportation bolts until the machine is within three feet of where it will go.

I also see no need to buy matching washer/dryers. You can dry HE washed clothing in any machine, but you can't dry regular top-load, non-HE clothes in a front load matched dryer - not enough water is extracted and you'll end up over taxing the dryer. The dryer I bought 18 years ago was the cheapest one I could find that had a porcelain top and tub, drop down door so I didn't have to worry which side it would be on, and the biggest lighted drum on the sales floor. They all have sensors. Would be nice to have one that tumbled two directions, but eh that's not a big thing.

Pets: the last conventional wisdom I read about on the LR forum was TL only. FLs didn't get pet hair out. I'd search the forum for 'pet hair' and see what pops up.

Spacific: after you see what is available in stacked machines, I suggest that you search the LR for 'stackable'. If your DH is handy, you also might want to consider Fisher Paykel (FPs) machines as they are meant to be worked on by homeowners. Forum member dadoes is the resident expert and is very helpful. But I don't think FPs stack. Many of the FLs do, as you will see on appliance store room floors. I'm sorry but again, I don't know models and prices anymore.

CC- if your DH wants a TL, look at the FPs and the Maytag Bravos. I think the LR people love the Bravos. People were gun-shy about machines without agitators after the Calypso debacle. Also, if your floor is uneven, forget about a conventional FL.

CC - ah temp control. The buggaboo and smoke and mirrors show of the washing machine industry. Most machines use 'ATC' - automatic temp control. 'Hot' in one machine could be 150 degrees, and 180 in another. That might make a difference for people with allergies who need to control dust mites, or also want a certain temp to combat stains. And even in FLs with heaters, how long does the machine maintain the temp? Smoke and mirrors: some machines turn on the heater to reach, but not maintain a given temp. Useless! Others will maintain the temp the whole cycle. Right, Claire? I'm jealous of your Meiles but both my machines hold the temp steady. I won't even get into profile washes using tap cold, LOL, your eyes will glaze over. I suggest you decide what temps you think are 'cold', 'warm' and 'hot' and read the online manuals, grin. You'll find 40 vs. 60 degrees for 'cold' buried in the pages.That's one thing we laundryholics argue over. My Danby has the second highest temp setting - it will go to 200 degrees. Only the Bosch Axxis goes over that, to 205. OK I'm done.

Oh for your dryer, Gina is correct about checking lint in the dryer hose. Also refrain from using Bounce sheets, and take a cotton ball with alcohol and clean off your dryer sensor. Probably coated with wax (beef tallow....) from the dryer sheets.

Mold: everyone, keep your machine doors and drawers open in between uses. The LR folks are once again helpful about cleaning out machines that have developed mold. BIG HINT: lose the Downey! Nasty stuff! Use distilled white vinegar instead (about a quarter cup).

More later, gotta do dinner, and I also have to answer Jude about stiff towels. Yes there is a joke in there.

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

OK, I will say I use Downey, but only less than 1/2 t. per washer load. It's enough, but not enough to hurt anything. I wouldn't consider putting a dryer sheet in my dryer, and am religious about cleaning the dryer vent. I've never had mold, but do leave the washer door open...

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Inlaws are running late so I can type up a bit more.

Claire please post your pix of your set-up. IIRC they were the bomb!

Annie FWIW DH and I used to drive beamers. We loved how they drove, but we hated the repair $$$. Dumped them both and got Toyotas, now 10 and 11 years old. I do miss driving the BMWs, ah there was nothing like that German engineering. Sigh.

Jude: it is likely your towels are stiff due to excess detergent. It will be a trial and error process to get them soft again. Also, you can blame the attorneys for the labels saying 'gentle'. Search the LR for 'stiff towels' and you'll find discussions. First thing I would do is wash them hot, with no detergent and no softener, for a few cycles. Add about 1/4 distilled white vinegar to the softener dispenser. Then see what happens. No Bounce sheets either in the dryer. It could be they are coated with detergent and/or dryer sheet residue. If that doesn't help, keep reading the LR forum or come back and ask.

In general, one doesn't need to overthink these machines - they fill with water, swoosh around for a bit, spin, and do it again. Not rocket science! The big thing, to me, is where you buy it, and that the company stands behind their machines. Watch out for the Maytag of old - they trashed their reputation with the FL Neptunes.

(oh for the record - I prefer a straight drum, not tilted, and I agree with Claire -smaller drums get things cleaner and are gentler on clothing.)

Shall we start talking detergents next? bwahahahaa

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Well, I wasn't actually going to share those darn pictures one more time, but here they are. Mine aren't stacked, but they are elevated; the built-in laundry bins are great. The reason I initially moved the laundry into the closet was to bring it up from the basement as stairs were my downfall. ;) (Yes, that was a bad pun.)

While trying to figure it out, I realized my house had a major lack of closet space (or any space) on the main floor to house dirty laundry. Originally there was a laundry chute from the main floor to the basement, and it would pile up into mountains of laundry before I made myself go deal with it. I wanted something easier and more efficient that saved space, as I had very little to spare. From my least favorite laundry job which was sorting, a good design was born. It's listed in the Laundry Forum as the Luna Laundry System.

Ann, considering your affinity (and mine) for great appliances, I wouldn't hesitate to look at the Mieles. You'd probably have to spend more than you want, but less than your Lacanche. Considering the fact I expect to have mine for the next 25 years, I consider them an investment. Getting clean clothes from a small space is a beautiful thing.

Jessy, don't I recall a picture of you sitting in front of your front loader watching it go 'round? Am I crazy, or do I remember flames? Since I'm ''sharing'', you should!

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Brand new Danby, watching the 'Laundry Channel' and taking cycle time notes for the LR forum. All new FL owners watch the Laundry Channel LOL

Pimped out machine...moved to the other side of the dryer. Note the home made pedestal.

• petaloid
    13 years ago

Sears is having an appliance sale this weekend!

• dedtired
    13 years ago

I remember going to boarding school as a kid and having to do my own laundry for the first time. My mom had a TL and they had commercial FL at the school. My friends and I sat and watched the laundry going around. The spin cycle was by far the most exciting while the agitation was the most interesting.

I have an ancient TL Whirlpool (?). Maybe it was made by Timex because it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I had a gas dryer that was -- no kidding --close to 40 years old when I replaced it. It was known as Pinkie, because it was (what else) pink! It still ran like a charm but the drum got rusty and therefore, so did the clothes.

I replaced it with a Whirlpool FL dryer which is a pain. It is so deep I almost have to crawl in to get a sock out of the back. The inside light burned out quickly and it's too much trouble to replace. It would be better if it was on a pedestal.

Pinkie:

• jessyf
    13 years ago

LOL Pam check out the link, I bet your baby is on here somewhere

• compumom
    13 years ago

Claire that's one fabulous set up! You could patent it and sell the plans!

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Wouldn't that be wonderful if my old dryer found a home where it would be appreciated? A home where the people don't mind rust marks on their clothes? I like to think that's where it is now. Maybe the same family that took my Harvest Gold Sears Coldspot fridge from 1972 also took the dryer.

Please note that Pinkie was not just a Whirlpool -- she was an RCA Whirlpool!

• Gina_W
    13 years ago

I got the WTW5100VQ2 and the matching gas dryer.

Happy Independence Day!

• cloudy_christine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Gina! Happy Independence Day to you to, and everyone!

• cloudy_christine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All resolved. We got the old one fixed. It was funny, the changes we went through. DH said no way it makes sense to put money into an old appliance. But he liked the idea of top-loaders. I said my only requirement was a larger capacity than I had. Well, it was Saturday night before we had a chance to shop. We're at Lowe's and DH is doing his usual inspection of how things are made (I do rely on him for that). And he doesn't like what he sees. Suddenly no top-loader will do. The only machines he likes are the Samsungs. The stock is low and most of the models have a wait time. One very spiffy pair, with a ridiculous number of unnecessary bells and whistles, is on sale for only about a hundred bucks more than a medium-end model. Sale ends today. We pretty much decided to do it. But then I reopened the idea of just getting the old one fixed, mostly to avoid the hassle of moving all the stuff in the cellar for a delivery. So today we did. The repairman said the machine's at least 20 years old, not the 10 or 12 I thought. (Time flies when you're having fun.)
    I'm very happy. The wash is in the dryer and I saved $2000.