SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

A New Mexican Feast for New Year's Day (Recipes)

lynninnewmexico
13 years ago

Here is New Mexico, many of us serve a very traditional feast for our New Year's Day: Posole, which is a delicious pork, hominy and red chile soup is always "the star of the show". We also have tamales with red or green chile sauce . . . which is totally different from what you all refer to as 'chili'. Many people prefer both red and green chile (a stripe of each), which we refer to as 'Christmas-ing it'. Kellyeng asked for my posole recipe, so here it is:

Lynn's Posole

~ 1 32-oz package of frozen hominy (which is sometimes packaged as "posole"), thawed

~ 3 lbs of lean pork, trimmed and cut into medium chunks

~ 2 medium onions, chopped

~ 4 cloves of garlic

~ 8 pods of dried red chile (just plain red chiles, NOT

chipotle, ancho, etc.), washed and cleaned (seeded if

desired and stems removed). If not available, no problem; you can add the chile via red chile sauce after it's done.

~ 3/4 tsp cumin seeds, crushed

~ 6 cups chicken broth

~ water, as needed

~ salt & pepper to taste

~ chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges, sliced avocado, sour cream, if desired

**Needs time after for fat to rise and be skimmed off. Best made over two days.

1) In a large pot, add pork, chicken broth, one onion cut into large chunks, 2 of the garlic cloves (crushed); and 4 dried chile pods (if desired). Add water, if necessary, so that meat and veggies are just covered.

2) Bring mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until meat is very tender, at least 3-4 hours. Check periodically, adding water if necessary to keep meat barely covered.

3) When tender enough to shred easily, remove from heat. Cool to room temp and then refrigerate until fat hardens and rises to the top.

Day Two or Later in Same Day:

4) Skim off fat from pot and discard

5) Pull out meat and shred or chop. Set aside meat.

6) Pour broth through sieve into a bowl. Discard the cooked onions, etc. and return strained broth and shredded meat to pot.

7)thaw and rinse hominy to remove any loose skins and add to pot.

8) Add last onion (chopped into 1/2" dice); last two garlic cloves (crushed); last 4 dried chile pods, cumin.

9) Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 4-5 hours or until hominy pops, adding small amounts of water if necessary.

10) After hominy pops, add sat & pepper to taste.

Serve in bowls with sides of warmed red and/or green chile sauce to add to posole; garnish with fresh cilantro, a lime wedge, a dollop of sour cream and/or a slice of avocado if desired. Serve with warmed flour tortillas. We also serve tamales and my Shed's (a very well-known and loved restaurant in Santa Fe) Garbanzo Bean Salad. For dessert we have my Ginger-Vanilla Ice Cream and homemade Biscochito cookies.

Lynn

Lynn's Red Chile Sauce:

I usually start mine using dried red chile pods (have you seen the chile ristra I have hanging in my kitchen? It's to use for dishes like this one). But . . . I know that they can be difficult to find in other areas of the country, so this recipe just calls for chile powder. You can find it in bags in the Mexican food section of many grocery stores. Do NOT use Ancho or Chipotle chile powder, as these will change the flavor dramatically.

Ingredients:

4 TBS red chile powder

2 TBS canola oil

3 TSP flour

1 large garlic clove, minced

2 cups water

1/4-1/2 tsp salt

1 TBS brown sugar

1) Heat oil on low in a medium pot. Add chile powder and stir continually for 1 minute. Add flour, garlic, salt and brown sugar.

2) Add water slowly, stirring to prevent lumps.

3) Bring to a low simmer, cover and reduce heat. Cook for 15 minutes. Taste, adding more salt if desired.

Serve warm in posole, over tamales, chile rellenos, enchiladas or huevos rancheros (eggs, New Mexican style).

Posole:

{{gwi:1528288}}

Chile ristra hanging (in right upper corner) in my kitchen:

{{gwi:1528289}}

Packaged Frozen Hominy that I buy:

{{gwi:1528290}},

Comments (13)