SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arock10_gw

Need To Replace Heat

arock10
12 years ago

Hi,

the current situation I am in is I bought an old house in virginia a year ago, but the boiler is quite old (use to be oil now converted to gas), the ac units are 10 years old, and the flue the boiler uses needs to be replaced (so I cant use it now). The boiler does work still, other then the flue, but I imagine it is quite inefficient. I have two zone central air so all the duct work is in place. The house is 2600 sq ft.

I have had 4 companies give me quotes, but 3 different setups. The first suggested remove the boiler, install gas furnaces and new ac units in each zone (so one up stairs one down stairs).

He gave 2 quotes one for

1. Rheem RGRM06EAMES 95% efficient, two stage, natural gas fired furnace with variable speed blower motor, installed in the basement

2. 14AJM24A01 2 ton, 16 S.E.E.R., A/C outdoor unit installed on a pad

3. RCQD2417CC indoor cooling coil installed on gas furnace

at $13,287

and one:

1. Rheem RGTS06EMAES 90% efficient, natural gas fired furnace installed in the attic

2. 13AJN24A01 2 ton, 13 S.E.E.R., A/C outdoor unit installed on a pad

3. RCFLHM2417CC indoor cooling coil installed on gas furnace

at $10,654.00

Next company was all about some boilers. They just wanted to replace the boiler, though a high effiency model was an option because then it could just be vented out the side versus replacing the flue (which is about $1700-2500).

#1 Utica MGB 125 80% cast iron wet base boiler

$8,259 - but I'd need to replace the flue so not likely worth it

#2 Navien Combi CH240 92% $13,200

#3 Buderus GB142 95% $18,300

installing new regulators and radiator $800

removal of current boiler $1,300 (or just leave it in the basement?)

Then Sears suggested leave the boiler, fix the flue and get replace the AC units with heatpumps. Its pretty mild around here usually so I liked this idea.

2x 2 ton 15 SEER Kenmore $14,537

They offered 18 months 0% interest financing too which is a nice option though not required. I didnt like how this guy was just a salesmen though.

Lastly, an installer for a third company came out. I suggested the heatpump strategy like Sears did and liked that and gave me a quote.

1) Install 2.5 ton Carrier 10 kw heat pump to second floor system.

2) Install 2 ton Carrier 10 kw heat pump to first floor system

Tie into existing duct work, rewire thermostat as needed and duct work to upstairs system.

15 Seer equipment: $11,726.70

Air Handler and Condenser: 25HCC5 and Fan Coil: FX4DNF

13 Seer equipment: $10,473.81

Air Handler and Condenser: 25HBC3 and Fan Coil: FB4CNF

3) Install Stainless steel chimney liner: $1,710.00

So these guys were much cheaper then Sears and I believe Carrier is slightly better then Kenmore?

Thank you for reading this far, I apologize for the length but wanted to be complete.

Any thoughts on this? I am leaning towards the last setup. Anything else I should be looking for?

Comments (13)