SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jules8429

Need to replace heat pump

jules8429
17 years ago

I am giving up on my 12 year old Goodman HP. I have had 5 service calls in the last 6 months from 3 different companies and it continues to blow random capacitators, control boards, etc.

I have done quite a bit of research in the last couple of months and think I have decided on a Rheem or Rudd electric split system of 13 or 14 seer. It will not be possible to go higher than that as many of the ducts to this upstairs system are inaccessible and can not be replaced. I am contacting several contractors today to hopefully come out later this week and give estimates.

I would like opinions on the following:

1. Air cleaner- entire family has asthma and/or allergy problems. What is the recommended type of filter (media/electronic, etc)for this and what should an estimated cost be for adding this to a system at installation? I am in TN if that helps. Also which kind of filter is the lowest maitenance as we are busy and forgetful!

2. Should we pay to have our air ducts cleaned by someone prior to or after installation? They have never been cleaned and we have two enormous perpetually shedding animals in the house so my husband would like to have this done. I have read pros and cons on cleaning and would like some informed opinions on when to clean and what type of cleaning would be most beneficial if at all.

I'm not going to bother posting a lot of info on sq ft, current ton size, etc. until I have the estimates and recommendations of contractors. I do know to ask for the manual J thanks to this forum!

Any advice you can offer prior to Thursday or Friday will be very appreciated!

Comments (4)