SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonshadow_gw

Mac Computer: seeking your experience and opinions.

moonshadow
14 years ago

It's a lost to ask at a busy time of year, but if you have time for even a little input, I'd be grateful! Looking for input from every day users rather than tech gurus or sales associates.

So my desktop I built years ago has had a very good run, but it's time to retire it. I have way too much on my plate right now to build another. Tho I could build one kick butt machine for price of a Mac, am finding they draw me like a magnet when in a store. Would be sweet to just open and plug in. ;)

Have been shopping, researching, reading reviews. The single biggest issue stopping me from buying Mac is that I won't be able to replace parts myself anymore. All you DIYers will get it when I say paying someone else to do what we can do ourselves can sometimes be painful. ;)

I did read an older post here about Mac laptops, many loved them, but I have some specifics I'm wondering about, and am leaning towards a Mac desktop.

1) Are you a pleasure user, business, or both?

2) Have you used Boot Camp to install XP or Vista on your Mac so you can switch back and forth between Windows and Mac's OS X? Any issues?

2a) If you do have a dual boot system, did you purchase the software that lets you run both Windows and Mac's OS X simultaneously? (Versus only one running at a time when done via Boot Camp.) Any issues?

3) Did you purchase/install Office for Mac? If so, do you like it? Have you had any issues creating/sharing/reading/editing Office docs, spreadsheets etc on a Mac? (Especially something coming from a Windows machine.) Chatting w/my MD, both of us heavy Office users, he said I'd probably hate a Mac for that reason alone; he had issues with docs sent from Windows machines, & regretted the Mac purchase. He's savvy in many areas, & I have a lot of respect for him, but don't want to base my choice on one person's input.

4) If you've had problems in general, what kind: software glitches and/or hardware failure?

4a) If you've had software issues, do you encounter with any regularity? Are you usually able to troubleshoot/fix yourself?

4b) If hardware, what went wrong? What was cost and turnaround time? How many times in your ownership have you sent out your machine for repairs?

5)It's a big investment. How many years have you gotten out of your particular model?

6)Home networking. If you have a Mac and a Windows based machine, they say it's simple to share a network. Did you have any issues with sharing?

7)Software compatibility. Have you found that some of your favorite software won't work on Mac OS X platform? Or is there software you'd really like to try, but it's not compatible with Mac? Do you run into that scenario frequently, or are those days going by the wayside?

8)Peripherals: supposedly a breeze. Any issues connecting printers, scanners, camera, your own keyboard or favorite mouse, etc.?

9 Tho rare, have you ever gotten a virus? Were removal tools for Mac readily available online to download/remove?

9) Financial mgmt software: Last, but very important to me. I use Quicken Home & Business heavily (tho Inuit cust service/support drives me crazy). Seems to be an issue with Intuit creating products for Macs, and what's coming in 2010 looks very basic. Do you have a good sophisticated financial mgmt program developed for Mac you like? If you were a former Money or Qkn user, were you able to import prior data or was it lost for good? If you're running Windows on your Mac, and have Qkn installed via Windows, any issues?

Any other oddity you've run into, anything else to consider?

Thanks!

Comments (32)

• blubird
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Moonshadow,
    I'm a longtime Mac user but have used Windows extensively but reluctantly over the years. I've been a business user but am now using my Mac strictly for pleasure. I purchased Parallels and currently have XP installed on it - I use it for my embroidery software. I recently converted a friend who's a realtor - she was afraid that the Mac wouldn't be a practical choice; however, she's had no problem using her Mac except for one real estate website which only runs on a PC, so she uses her Parallels PC to run Internet Explorer.

Trying not to throw too much info at you at one time - we've had no hardware or software glitches - I run Office - no problems transferring files between a Mac and PC - the only issue is that some PC people are running an earlier version of Office and can only open .doc files - Mac's version can create .docx files, but can also created .doc files - so no problem there. My understanding is that Mac's Excel is missing some lesser known formulas - of course if those are the ones you've needed, it's a problem. Can check out on the internet for you.

I share my network with Macs and PCs- no issues there. Connecting peripherals is truly 'plug & play' - never gotten a virus - as you probably already know, they're not that common on a Mac - yet!! I run virus protection on the Parallels pc drive - AVG is good and it's free.

We have lots of Macs in this house - the ones currently in use range in age from 2 years old to 10 years old- the 10 year old one cannot run the latest operating system because it doesn't have an Intel chip as the newer ones do, but other than that it is fully functioning - internet, Office, etc.

I don't personally use Quicken, but I know people who do, for business, and have not spoken of any issues. If you have a particular question regarding Quicken I could ask it of them, if you'd like.

Outlook doesn't exist for the Mac - yet. Rumor has it that it will be coming soon. I use Entourage for mail. Did I leave anything out?

Helene

• natal
    14 years ago

Im strictly a pleasure user and the majority of your questions donÂt even apply to me, but IÂll answer those that do.

I only use Pages and have encountered a few problems with Word generated documents. A family newsletter created in Word was a pain to edit using Pages. I ended up putting it in a PDF file and then editing.

The HP printer/scanner was $30 with the Mac. IÂve never been able to use it wirelessly. Dh & I have both tried. And I had issues with the scanner last week for the first time. But that was the printerÂs fault, not the Mac.

Bought the MacBook Pro in May of this year. The only problem IÂve encountered was a weird clock issue. One day I booted up and the day and time were wrong. I reset and itÂs been fine since.

No viruses (knock on wood). ;)

I love my Mac. I would never go back!

• Related Discussions

New Computer - Opinions??

Q

Comments (10)
    Pooh Bear, it looks like a good system. The embedded GeForce 7 graphics controller is going to use 256MB of your system memory for video, but the MB has a PCI-Express x16 Slot. This means you can add a better video card at a later date and you'll get the 256MB back if you do. The sound and network cards are also embedded, but the MB also has additional PCI slots for future upgrades or replacements. That's something I look for when purchasing a system. There's nothing wrong with embedded (on-board) components until they fail. Having slots to replace the embedded parts is a very good thing IMO. I'm sure the processor fan and case fans will provide sufficient cooling. Also, the HD and DVD appear to have a 3-year warranty. That being the case, I don't think the brand really matters. The seller probably purchases from different suppliers and uses different brands, as all computer manufactures do. I think you are getting a good system for the price. I'd probable be happy with the sound and network cards, but would look at upgrading the video card someday. Good luck.
    ...See More

iMac Computers

Q

Comments (9)
    I'm not a pro, but here's my two cents..........I switched six years ago after twenty years with PC. For me, the change has been wonderful. My down-time dropped to zero instantly and has stayed there. No hardware or software troubles and no bugs from the beginning until now....and I'm up and running 24/7/365. Of course I've had to learn new programs and aps but at least the machine doesn't fight me all the time like my PC's always did. Thing just sits here and runs. In response to the "Macs are expensive" argument so often encountered, I would like to say this: I used to bring in computer-techs twice year, on average, to straighten out my PC stuff. Not having to do that anymore has essentially paid for the machine at this point...and those service-dollars spent don't include the annoyance and aggravation and lost work-time that accompanied the issues. Your hot-button appears to be your particular kind of work...which I am not familiar with. Since it's important to you, I would advise finding an Apple Store and taking some of your stuff on disk or flash-drive with you. All their machines will be there up and running all the time. Let them show you how the iMac would work with your stuff and you can decide based on your actual experience. I do have several professional friends who are compelled to work with programs that only run on Windows. Those folks run Windows on their Macs via parallels and run their proprietary programs that way. However, except for those programs, they leave Windows off and run everything else with the Mac's OS. As far as "learning curve", you'll be amazed at what you can do within hours. In my case, having no previous experience, I was surfing within 45 minutes of the box arriving at the door. I was comfortable within days; confident in a week; proficient in a couple of weeks. And I was absolutely paranoid in the beginning because of all my PC hassles over the years. My advice would be don't worry about the learning curve. I have little doubt things will flow very naturally for you. At this point, I have many family members and friends who have made the switch and they've all said the same thing about that.
    ...See More

Humbly seeking opinions of kitchen layout

Q

Comments (12)
    marcolo, the pantry door will probably open in, that's one of my computer illiterate moves. As for the ovens, the oven in the island is for large functions and holidays, I don't think it will be a big problem. I use the oven a few times a week, but I don't hover over it, it's an in and out quick thing. As far a it being a hike from the stove top, that's what all those adult children living at home are for, actually, I have limited mobility in one arm, making it difficult to lift heavy items, that's why ovens are on the wall to begin with. I do have a cabinet for glasses. It will be above the raised dw, actually will come down to dw. This is for everyday glasses, plenty of room. For fancy glasses, as someone said so eloquently, "they live with the liquor", we have a full sized wet bar around corner and I plan on wine glasses by the wine frig. Oh, and the tv, non negotiable. It's the only thing DH has requested, so it stays. Palimpsest- yes, the freezer is way over there tucked in the corner. I thought long and hard on this. I decided that I'm in my freezer twice a day max, on a busy day. Ice, on the other hand was a serious problem. The under counter ice maker was my solution. Unless wise people can offer up something else. I do also have a 36" ss KitchenAid who will be moving to the garage. blfenton- too funny, my kids make fun of me because I never have my phone on. I tell them, living with 7 people and a dog, I value my quiet alone time. lol
    ...See More

Seeking votes/opinions - Uppers on BS Window and Sink Wall

Q

Comments (83)
    @ sena01 - Thanks for the personal experience with this kind of thing. It always helps hearing from people who have been there. And for your vote! @island - Aunt lives between Naples and Ft. Myers. I haven't been down there yet, but it sounds beautiful. The pics are great. They have a floorplan I would love, with the whole house centered around the back in a big U. That would so not work in Alaska, given you need every inch of sun here you can get. But, I just love that kind of floorplan. Now that I understand what you are liking, I can mock some things up. I do want to make the point, though, that those 18" cabinets are slightly over 1/2 the size of the 30" uppers. Isn't that what you said you preferred? @mpagmom - Well, I gotta say, that's a pretty cool sink. I don't know how hard it would be to find a sink like that or how much it would cost. Also, not sure if it really works with what I am doing here? I can sure look into it, though. I assume you are talking about the greenish kitchen when you say dark gray? That is a nice kitchen. You know, Marcolo used those exact words on me - "think slate". I'm just not really finding one I like - except the one on the back of that peninsula in the pic I posted again above. And, my neighbor friend directly across the street has a slate BS and I don't really want to do the same thing... Good question, Deedles. I know we don't have any current problems with that, but the cabinets are raised up. I want whatever is in the punch bowl, though. Monday morning or not. My partner mocked up what it might feel like at the sink last night by clamping up a board. I'm not having any problems with it, being short. He wasn't loving it. We are going to leave it up for a while and see how it feels over time.
    ...See More
  • moonshadow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, this is just what I was hoping to hear, good, bad and in between, thanks!

natal: Did Adobe come on your Mac? (Not the reader, the full program to edit/create PDF docs?)

Also: The only problem Ive encountered was a weird clock issue. One day I booted up and the day and time were wrong. If it's like a PC, it's your CMOS battery (usually located on the motherboard). In my laptop, that puppy is buried way at the bottom. To get to it requires complete disassembly. Emailed manufacturer to get CMOS battery type (not noted in User's Manual). They refused to give it to me but suggested I send it to them for $250 and they'd replace it. I searched deep and found a bootleg Repair Manual published online, got the battery type, and the fix is an $8 battery and an afternoon of my time. But notebooks are wicked to disassemble. (I'm only telling you all this because left unattended too long, it can create more problems, won't bore you with details till you need them ;) But I read on newer machines the CMOS battery is integrated into the motherboard, can't be readily changed, and your symptoms (bad date/time), especially in a newer machine, could be sign of bad motherboard. Definitely something to watch for while still in warranty! ;)

blubird, huge help, throw those details at me! LOL
    With Excel I use basic formulas, don't delve too heavily into the advanced stuff, so doubt that would be an issue.

I only use Outlook for one purpose. Kind of goofy but I backup my blackberry calendar to Outlook (OE won't work), which I then sync with Google calendar online so I can access calendar if out of town and should lose info on my Blackberry. Think if I look into that tho Google has upgraded that feature and I can sync my Berry directly w/Google calendar now and bypass Outlook. (That way at least I don't lose future appointments.)

Knowing longevity of yours is good. I'm willing to pay the price if in exchange for longevity. My niece's Sony Vaio got her through Jr year H.S. thru college and two years beyond. Pricey new, but sure worth it in the end. A Mac doing that would make me happy!

Your friends are using Qkn on a Mac, is that correct? (Been inhaling bathroom cleaner fumes, pardon any confusion, lol.) If so, if you could find out if there was any issue importing prior saved Qkn data into their Mac, I'd appreciate it. Can't see an issue if running Qkn on a Windows OS on Mac, but Qkn can be really persnickety. I have ten years worth of info; personal, my mom's and business that I would rather not lose. It's my basis for preparing tax returns, too. ;) If there is anything they think I should be aware of, it would be awesome to know! Qkn is one of my staple programs.

• natal
    14 years ago

The PDF feature is built into the Mac OS X. I found it by accident when I went to email a document one time. I'm still learning. So much I haven't tapped into.

I read about the battery issue after it happened. Have a 2 or 3 year warranty. If it happens again I'll definitely take it in for a battery replacement.

• moonshadow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cool that PDF is built in. I don't have it on mine, just freebie Adobe Reader download. Full version is very costly software (or used to be, haven't checked in awhile).

I've been focusing on hardware a lot, need to look very closely at what comes pre-installed on some of these Macs, get familiar with what is does, since names are so different from Windows on many. Hopefully there wouldn't be the need to buy much more. (So far I know I at least need to get one that allows me to install Windows and run both operating systems, and Office for Mac, which as good rebate at Best Buy right now, IIRC).

• blubird
    14 years ago

I'll check with my friend re: Quicken...hopefully he'll have internet access with this snowstorm - we're expecting up to 15 inches tonight into early tomorrow.

Not much software is comes with the Mac. The ability to read a PDF file is there and what Iove best is that you can 'print' and save a document as a PDF, but it's not the fully-featured version of Adobe Reader, but it's what most people would use for reading .pdfs.

Office is available much less expensively in a Student version - if you have anyone who has a school id, you can usually pick that one up for very little $$. Parallels is somewhere around $75US, unless you pick up a special where it's included with the purchase of a Mac.

So far we've converted at least 4 people from PCs to Macs this year alone - everyone who has done so has been thrilled and wouldn't go back!

I'ts time to drink some KoolAid :-)

Helene

• moonshadow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Helene!

Appreciate you checking with your friend, that's very kind of you! I do have some very costly software DH got for a flat $5 rate when he was taking night classes. Saved hundreds. Might be able to get some more for a Mac via discount.

I take it you're in the mid-Atlantic/New England area, see that's a whopping big storm ripping through. Stay safe and warm!

• golddust
    14 years ago

I love my Mac. It is true I have never used anything else and never will. I've been a loyal Mac user since 1989. My first Mac had 4 MB memory and cost me $4,000. I still have it and it still works. It was an SE 30 or SE 40, if memory serves me right. Had a 4" screen.

I love Macs. I work on them myself. I've never taken one in and Mac support is great! I run no virus protector and leave my computer on all the time. Viruses just aren't an issue for Macs.

Don't even get me started about our PC at our business.

• les917
    14 years ago

Both boys are home from college at the moment, and both have the Macbook Pro. I have a Mac mini for my desktop. I have been very pleased, and believe me when I tell you I am clueless when it comes to technology. I have Bootcamp on my Mac and have found it to work well - I use it to run an old version of PrintShop.

However, the one to better answer your questions would be either son, but older one is more available tonight, so I am sending the link to him, and he will post later under my name.

• barb5
    14 years ago

I have a Mac and I'd love to sell it to you. My next laptop will definitely be a PC.

I am not computer savvy at all, had previously only worked on a PC, taught myself excel, use Quickbooks and Quicken. I work as a treasurer for a small non-profit.

I drank the Mac Kool aid and bought a Mac laptop. The keyboard broke in a month and it took me two trips to my local Mac store for them to fix it (1 1/2 hour round trip each way.) At the time I bought it I only had dial up and according to the support guy I talked to the computer wouldn't run on dial up and he basically sneered at me because he found it incredulous that anyone would still be on dial up, and by the time we figured out how to get cable (we live rurally- I had to wait for cable to come out where I live, some neighborhood have to pay thousands of dollars for it) the help that the Mac came with had practically run out.

I have found that most things are different on a Mac and it is a real learning curve to try to get up to speed. For one thing, on my laptop, there is no left click. It took me 9 months and 3 help books to figure out how to left click. That is the other thing: the Help in the computer is worthless- it usually just has no info whatsoever. So I signed up for a year of one-to-one tutoring at $99 after going to some general classes, but you have to schedule the session each week. Even if I get on early on Sunday morning to schedule, the sessions are usually all booked. And of course, it means that 1 1/2 hour drive each week to figure out stuff that should be in the help section.

But the worst thing that has happened, is that I cannot import Quickbooks from the bookeeper I work with who uses a PC. And the tutors at One-to- one have not been able to help me with this. And I do not like the numbers program compared with Excel. Even with simple adding of columns, I get a triangle that won't go away, and again, I have not been able to schedule a one-to -one session to figure this out. And the computer help, of course, does not address this. The books I bought don't either. Sometimes I just have to get out my little calculator and add the columns and type it in. It's ridiculous. Give me excel any day! Oh, and I had to pay for iwork to be installed.

I am going to get a PC for the non-profit so we don't have to do this.

I would never get a Mac again. But my neice, who is into animation say s that the Macs are best for what she does.

I have never had a virus.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

My husband has his original Mac desktop which is FIFTEEN years old and still runs like the day he bought it. He's never had one single problem with it. In that same time frame, I've had four computers, each one of them had problems at times. Next one will be an Apple laptop. My daughter is in Apple management so I will get a discount but, regardless, I would get one. Using hers is a joy. No stress and no problems. Go for it.

• Meghane
    14 years ago

Pleasure.

2) Have you used Boot Camp to install XP or Vista on your Mac so you can switch back and forth between Windows and Mac's OS X? Any issues?

I have WinFusion to run the very few Windows XP programs that I have. No issues at all. Both run simultaneously, so no need to switch back and forth. Just minimize one and work with the other or whatever.

2a) If you do have a dual boot system, did you purchase the software that lets you run both Windows and Mac's OS X simultaneously? (Versus only one running at a time when done via Boot Camp.) Any issues?

I don't have a dual boot system

3) Did you purchase/install Office for Mac? If so, do you like it? Have you had any issues creating/sharing/reading/editing Office docs, spreadsheets etc on a Mac? (Especially something coming from a Windows machine.) Chatting w/my MD, both of us heavy Office users, he said I'd probably hate a Mac for that reason alone; he had issues with docs sent from Windows machines, & regretted the Mac purchase. He's savvy in many areas, & I have a lot of respect for him, but don't want to base my choice on one person's input.

I have Office and everything works great. My professors were mostly PC users and I would download everything from them onto the Mac without problems. Pictures, Powerpoint, word documents, pdf files, and excel all work without any problems.

4) If you've had problems in general, what kind: software glitches and/or hardware failure?

My dog ate a couple of keys when I first got the Mac. They were easy to replace. Other than that, no problems.

4a) If you've had software issues, do you encounter with any regularity? Are you usually able to troubleshoot/fix yourself?

Never had a software issue except with the practice management software at work. The problem is that the software is REALLY old and quite flaky no matter what machine you are using.

4b) If hardware, what went wrong? What was cost and turnaround time? How many times in your ownership have you sent out your machine for repairs?

Never had a hardware problem. My MacBook is 4 years old, DH has had his for 1 year.

5)It's a big investment. How many years have you gotten out of your particular model?

4 years so far. Don't have any plans to retire it any time soon.

6)Home networking. If you have a Mac and a Windows based machine, they say it's simple to share a network. Did you have any issues with sharing?

Until DH bought a MacBook last year, we networked his PC and my Mac at home without any issues at all. Also had his laptop on the network, no issues except with his laptop seeing his PC. My Macbook saw everyone and shared very nicely.

7)Software compatibility. Have you found that some of your favorite software won't work on Mac OS X platform? Or is there software you'd really like to try, but it's not compatible with Mac? Do you run into that scenario frequently, or are those days going by the wayside?

There hasn't been anything I wanted that I couldn't get for the Mac. I have some really old Windows programs that aren't made any more that I run with my WinFusion without any problems.

8)Peripherals: supposedly a breeze. Any issues connecting printers, scanners, camera, your own keyboard or favorite mouse, etc.?

Dh has a mouse and a second monitor on his MacBook. We share our printer/scanner/fax over the wireless network. The camera is plug and play. So far, everything has worked perfectly.

9 Tho rare, have you ever gotten a virus? Were removal tools for Mac readily available online to download/remove?

There are antiviral programs for Macs, I have Norton and have never had a virus.

9) Financial mgmt software: Last, but very important to me. I use Quicken Home & Business heavily (tho Inuit cust service/support drives me crazy). Seems to be an issue with Intuit creating products for Macs, and what's coming in 2010 looks very basic. Do you have a good sophisticated financial mgmt program developed for Mac you like? If you were a former Money or Qkn user, were you able to import prior data or was it lost for good? If you're running Windows on your Mac, and have Qkn installed via Windows, any issues?

DH transferred all of our Money stuff to his MacBook from the PC without any problems. I don't do the financial stuff but he hasn't had any problems.

When I get my own vet practice, however long in the future that will be, I plan to run Macs.

• les917
    14 years ago

Hi, my mom asked me to post my thoughts here for you. First, I've been a Mac user for over 5 years. Started with a PowerBook G4 (laptop) in Fall 2004 and recently I moved on to a MacBook Pro.

If you count college coursework as business, then both.

I have installed XP on my mom's Mac Mini through Boot Camp, no problems at all. If you run Windows in this way, it'll be at least as good as the Windows experience on any other machine. The only annoyance might be having to restart if you switch a lot, but the faster reboot times of current machines make this a minor issue.

I haven't personally tried any of the virtual machine software, but the main issue would be a very slight performance hit in Windows since it's running in emulation.

I am running Office 2004 (comparable to 2003 on Windows), no problems that I've encountered so far. Windows compatibility hasn't been an issue; even complex Word docs and PPTs have crossed over without incident for me. There is an XML converter available so I can open and edit the newer formats as well. I have read of people having issues with crossover, but I guess I've been fortunate.

Two hardware issues on my PowerBook, none on my new MacBook Pro.

No software issues beyond the occasional program freezing/crashing. Nothing that has necessitated reinstalls or other drastic action. Crashes basically just require a Force Quit and restart of that application. I've never had an application be problematic beyond that. I can troubleshoot myself with no trouble.

My PowerBook had a video card issue about a year after I got it; AppleCare sent me a shipping box the next day and I got it back in just 2-3 days, great service experience, no cost beyond having AppleCare. This past February the original hard drive died (after 4.5 years of heavy use), and I was able to replace it myself since I was out of warranty/AppleCare; $40 for the drive and under $10 for the tools. The MacBook Pro has had zero issues in the 3.5 months I've had it.

As I mentioned above, 5 years from my PowerBook, as a real workhorse overall. The MacBook Pro is 3.5 months old and is working like a champ. I hope to get around 5 years from it as well.

Networking has been great in my experience. The network at my college campus has worked without a hitch. Home networking has been just as good. My dad's Acer laptop did have some recurring WiFi issues for a while, but that was due to a hardware issue.

I can't think of a single program I use (or used) that wasn't either compatible or readily replaceable by comparable software.

None whatsoever. Some peripherals have their own drivers/software that enhance functionality, but plug & play works great.

Virus? What's a virus? I kid of course. There is malware out there, but you basically have to want to get infected, as the exploits require user action and really only appear on iffy sites to begin with. I have had zero issues with this. I did get antivirus software as part of the last MacHeist free bundle, but I have had no need to waste time or resources with it. Probably the best free option is ClamXAV.

I don't use any such software at the moment, but I can tell you a few things I know. First, it's true that Intuit has been notorious for having poor Mac software, avoid them if you can. I've heard pretty good things about iBank, which does allow you to import from Quicken and Money, not sure how well this works though.

Any other oddity you've run into, anything else to consider?

My biggest recommendation is to just try a Mac. Go to an Apple Store if you can (just not this week), find a friend/colleague who has a Mac, whatever. But spend some time trying things out, see how you like the experience. I was pretty comfortable in OS X within a couple weeks of getting my first Mac, but your mileage may vary of course. Hope this helps, and feel free to ask any other questions you might have!

• golddust
    14 years ago

barb,

I understand your frustration with macs, in your situation. I totally do. I upgraded my Mac right out of my dial up connection and was frantic while trying to replace it. There is no DSL available where I live and ended up going with Verizon wireless ($$$).

I blamed this on myself as I did my own research and bought my latest Mac via the internet. If I had gone to a store, I would have been mad in your case too. That sucks.

• jerseygirl_1
    14 years ago

I just bought a new lap top and went with an HP DV6. I was definitely going the way of MAC. Had been to the Apple store 3x. I learned computers on MAC but have used PC's for the past 12 years.

My decision on was based on my use. I could not qualify extra cost vs my needs. I guess the practical side got the best of me. No regrets. Got a great price through work which included a larger processor, micrsoft word, and wireless 3 in one printer. All for less than a MAC book.
    Yeah, Mac's are very cool. Once I got past the cool part, I was fine.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

If you are buying a mac, get a mac mini until you get used to it. It;s not so much of a big expense if you buy one plus they are really good energy wise.

I've said many time how much I dislike mine for doing anything. Networking is a PITA. No matter what I do, seems like I can share files with my windows PC (dual boot) then it will stop. Easier to access the windows PC from the mac. Even sharing the printer got to be a PITA. Some how the printer doesn't work with the Mac any more; not sure why not; it's directly connected. I've had mine a little over a year and am about done with it.

I know many PC "techs" - geeks that wanted a mac so bad until they got one; they then sent it back.

• moonshadow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh, you guys are awesome!! Much like my favorite tech board! (Where most members build their own so not much help with Mac questions.)

A special thanks to each of you, an extra special one to Les' DS1. (Your mom is a very well-liked lady here, whose talent for mentally rearranging rooms is mind boggling! I have teased in the past I'm going to come get her, drag her to my house and turn her loose, you all aren't too terribly far away, lol.) It's a pleasure to meet you and appreciate your time while you're on Christmas break!

I will look into iBank (never heard of it). I have played with Macs on multiple visits to Best Buy. Didn't seem daunting, but was disorienting (e.g. window sizing is on left, not right. And no right click button on mouse threw me, lol. ;) Probably need to head to nearest Apple store, a bit of a drive but selection is probably better (and hopefully no music blasting and shaking the rafters, kind of hard to think let alone talk. ;)

Each of you has left comments/tips that lead me to searches and learning - a lot! Being so deep into my PC (rather like my baby since it's my build) I never paid much attention to Macs. Am really impressed with what I'm discovering. I got all fired up when I saw an article today that compared models, and it noted Mac Pro Desktop is rated "Great" for DIY hardware expansion. Then I saw the price tag. :o It's difficult, but maybe I need to loosen up the ability to do DIY work. Hardware problems just doesn't seem to be a huge issue, and speed/storage should be more than ample for my needs for a long time to come.

Oh, screen glare. Wanted to ask. In the comparison article above, "Cons" were very few, but a common one was "glossy screen may frustrate some users". Anyone feel that frustration, eye strain or screen induced headache after prolonged use? (I'm coming from a matte LCD.)

Note to golddust: I had to check out your older model. Look what I found - some creative decor suggestions if it ever stops running. ;)
    Macquarium

Talk about repurposing! ;D

barb: I feel your pain. Back home (very rural) they are just now getting high speed and it's hit or miss who gets coverage.

• natal
    14 years ago

Yeah, Mac's are very cool. Once I got past the cool part, I was fine.

Before we bought our first PC in the late 90s our niece was pushing Macs. We let the price tag talk. A decision we still regret. The "cool" factor didn't even register in our decision to switch earlier this year. When the PC was fried in an electrical meltdown last year I waited more than 6 months before buying new. Used dh's Dell (work laptop) when he was home and learned to live without the rest of the time. My main criteria was trouble-free use and that's what I'm getting with the Mac. If I have problems I can contact someone locally ... not half way around the world in India.

• blubird
    14 years ago

Hi Moonshadow,

The friend who uses Qkn on the Mac got back to me with this response:

"I do use Quicken for Mac and had no problem exporting from my PC. Don't really remember how I did it but there are directions and it was pretty easy. That said, some people use quicken for things that I might not and so can't promise that it imports everything. I also use Quickbooks for Mac and the complaints are that the PC version is much better. Might be the same for quicken, but I don't use all the features like an accountant might."

As to people mentioning that the mouse doesn't have a right click button - and BTW, I even saw that mentioned in a review in a fairly well known tech magazine- Apple mice (mouses?) have both a left click and right click function, even though it doesn't look like it. Does anyone read documentation? You set the function of all the mouse "buttons" in the System Preferences menu - if you're a lefty you can even reverse the function of the buttons!!!

Helene

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

When we bought the Mac Mini, I added a Microsoft keyboard & mouse duo - right click works fine. I do have issues with the mouse "losing" the wireless connection; so do a lot of other people.

I like firefox for mac better then Windows; which is probably why I've used the Mac as long as I have. I haven't had time to do much more then surf online. Once spring comes & I use my camera more; I'll probably give the mac to my daughter.

• natal
    14 years ago

I use a wireless Logitech mouse with my Mac.

• blubird
    14 years ago

Roselvr,

Is your Microsoft mouse a bluetooth mouse? Bluetooth is a PITN - very battery dependent, and even starting sequence dependent. I have Logitech IR mice, I've NEVER lost a connection in the 4-5 years I've had them.

Helene

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Helene; no, it's a Microsoft USB mouse; what ever model it is; I looked it up, others had issues too. Every few months it will whack out on me for days at a time. Not sure what fixes it eventually.

I'm a Logitech keyboard/mouse person; the Microsoft was just something cheap I picked up & never changed out because I didn't think I'd use the Mac this long.

• learn_as_i_go
    14 years ago

I converted to a Mac about 3 years ago and love it. I use it only for pleasure. We have an iMac where I do most of my amateur digital scrapping and photo review, and a MacBook for most everyday use. We were a PC family so it took about 2 weeks tops for us to grow accustomed to the Mac shortcuts and appearance. It helped greatly to have a friend who was familiar with a Mac; I could call her up anytime and ask about a particular function. There are websites that help the transition, too. Since you sound extremely computer savvy, I really don't see this as a big issue for you.

I still use a PC for work and had no problems setting up a home wireless network and getting all 3 computers on it. I am not tech savvy so that's saying a lot. Every peripheral accessory has been plug-and-play on the Macs. No hardware failures or virus issues, ever. I bought and loaded the Microsoft Office suite software and mainly use Word and Excel; no problems there.

All in all, I think the pain level associated with shifting to a Mac is hugely dependent on your ability to adapt to a new system. Some people just can't shift so easily. Or they insist on relying upon the Apple store rather than a simple Google search. I do know some PC tech geeks who don't like Macs, however their rationale is so incredibly technical that it escapes me. Whatever the issue, it isn't the usual daily user kind of problem - apparently they feel the need to rip it apart or rewrite code or something. If you're in that camp, then you might not like it.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Well guess what, the keyboard & mouse stopped working as I was posting to another board. lol

Learn as I go; I build computers. I have about 7 Windows PC's - all are fine with the networking. It's using the windows computer to access files on the Mac. I put stuff in the drop box to share & wasn't able to access it even after logging in. I don't do a lot of sharing so it hasn't really been a huge issue for me and I have other ways around it. I own 4 Mac books, just no time to dig into them. Windows is just so much easier for my life when I need something to work.

Also, sharing the printer was a problem when it did work. Others on the network couldn't always access it for some reason. Some days things work like they should and others they don't.

So far everything has been plug & play except for my scanner which is not Mac compatible.

• jerseygirl_1
    14 years ago

Natal, I have no regrets on my decision. I guess it depends how comfortable you are with computer sciences.
    MAC is a great computer. Just could not justify the difference in cost for my requirements.

Before I decided on the HP, I had a lengthy discussion with a friend who had a computer consultant business and is a die-hard IPHONE fan since I was going back and forth between MAC Pro Book and the HP DV6. He basically came to the same conclusion as I did. When I ordered my HP, he ordered a MINI. As much as he would of loved to have a MAC he did not like the idea that if APPLE updates their operating platform, you would need to get a new computer. Your computer would be outdated. With a PC you can always change the operating platform. Steve Gates is a brillant business man.

• blubird
    14 years ago

Jerseygirl 1, regarding your computer consultant friend, you said " As much as he would of loved to have a MAC he did not like the idea that if APPLE updates their operating platform, you would need to get a new computer."

Is he kidding??? He's a computer "consultant"?

Apple has only just updated its operating system where you must have an Intel chip to run it. Up until now, you could be running your Mac operating system on your 10-12 year old computer. As a matter of fact, we have such a computer which is operating just fine, as long as I have no need for the Intel processor on that computer. And...they introduced the Intel chip somewhere around 2-3 years ago, so it took that long to >>requireTry that one with Microsoft's bloated operating system. Bill Gates is a brilliant business man, but so is Steve Jobs. :-).

Helene

• natal
    14 years ago

Steve Gates is a brillant business man.

That's priceless, lol!

• moonshadow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

blubird: many thanks to you and your friend. I checked out Les' son's suggestion, iBank, it actually looks like interesting software and a good alternative if necessary. (If it ran on Windows I'd do a trial now, cuz Qkn sometimes makes me crazy. Which it did yesterday, bad timing, since we'll soon be heading into tax season.)

roselvr, I was hoping you'd chime in, knew you did your own builds too. (Somehow missed yours and j-girl's post when I last posted.) So, if I'm understanding you did a dual boot and it's been a bumpy ride? And it's been difficult to access Windows files via Windows partition, so you go through the Mac partition? (Not that I'm putting any stock in it, but a BBuy tech suggested to me that Windows runs better on a Mac.)

jerserygirl, appreciate your input, want to hear the good and bad. I'll agree, sleek appearance is part of Apple packaging, but that's just a bonus to me, I'm looking for quality + good performance to get longevity. (No matter who manufactures it.) I'm confused tho, about this: As much as he would of loved to have a MAC he did not like the idea that if APPLE updates their operating platform, you would need to get a new computer. Your computer would be outdated. With a PC you can always change the operating platform.
    I've run several possible scenarios through my head but none add up. Can you elaborate a bit, help me understand?

I'm thinking screen glare might be an issue (nearly all my work is done on a PC). I'd much prefer a matte screen like I have now but have not found a suitable remedy in a Mac for that yet.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Let's see if I can explain in the limited time I have; if I don't finish, I'll come back later or tomorrow. Have hubby's last chemo & radiation today.

In my office I have a dual boot Windows machine - running XP (pro I think) and Vista. I also have the Mac. I have not tried to put Windows of any flavor on the Mac; it was on my list of things to do. I was going to buy the program verses what's on the Mac. My pain management Dr did it; he had some issues with drivers. Not sure if he did XP or Vista.

The Mac worked fine at 1st. I was able to Network; I was able to access the Windows machine both sides. When on the Windows PC; I was able to access the Mac from both. I'm not sure what changed and when but eventually I wasn't able to access either puter - I made user accounts on Windows (both sides) and now am able to access Windows (both sides) from the Mac. The problem is accessing the Mac from Windows.

Granted, it very well may be me; because I haven't been as "heavy" into building & using the computer since we moved. The most I do is work with pictures; for that I use Windows because the Mac photo program confuses me.

I like Windows much better all the way around because of ease of use; software works & I can do things without reading a manual. With the Mac, I feel so stupid some days. I haven't installed anything except firefox.. forgot how. lol It's so simple too from what I remember but I have to get the dummy book to do it again. lol

One thing that will not work on the Mac is my Microsoft Works. All of my medical databases are made with works. I looked for a Mac plug in (reader) but they don't have one. I also don't want to have to replace my full Office suite.

• moonshadow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, I gotcha now. It's the network that's giving you trouble.
    Not the dual-boot of Mac + M$ on same machine.

Gosh don't beat yourself up about feeling stupid some days. This tech stuff is a tremendous amount to absorb and retain, let alone keep abreast of all that's new. You're dealing with a lot (me too) and I swear some days my brain is like mush. We can only run on overload so long and something's gotta give. ;) Precisely why I'm not tackling a new build again. Just can't take on another project of that depth right now and I know my PC is going to bite it soon. Mboard is giving post codes at boot up, had a whirring noise the other night I thought was a fan only now I think my HD is fighting to keep going. (ack!) Doing updated backups like a madwoman!

As you well know, it doesn't take much time away from this 'hobby' of home builds to just get completely lost. Cutting edge today is old in 6 months. I was at the top of my game when I built mine. Now parts have changed so much it's like relearning all over. Talk about taxing the brain!

Good luck to your hubby today. Maybe we can chat more later. ;)

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

I think most of your questions have been answered, but I had to chime in... I've been a Mac user since the late 80s. Currently, I work and play on a Mac G5 (renamed Mac Pro when they added the i-chip). I'm also sitting here looking at my 1st Mac, an SE, which would fire up and work just like many moons ago, if'n I cared to do so, but I've outgrown the black and white screen ;-)

I've worked on PCs for several years too, work only, but I honestly do not care for them.