SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clubtrump

Humbly seeking opinions of kitchen layout

clubtrump
13 years ago

Thank you in advance for sharing your time and opinions. Stumbling across this forum and all of you amazing people with your wealth of information has been a godsend.

OK, after 10 years of waiting and saving I am doing the first jig of my happy dance, the basement under my new kitchen is a day from completion. Yeah!

We had certain restraints due to easements on one side of the addition, which shaped our final plans.

Our current kitchen is roughly 10 x 22. It is an eat in kitchen, we have no dining room. My table seats 4, so my household of 8 doesn't sit down to dinner together, ever.

DH and myself, 4 grown children, the youngest a year left of college and two beautiful grandbabies. And yes, they should be moving out, but honestly, I love having them for as long as I can get, and as long as they are saving for their own homes and help out with chores here, they can stay until they tick me off :)

So to ask what I hope to gain from this kitchen, I say everything... More space, storage, cabinets, seating, ovens, sinks, lights, more lights, drawers, an island, just more everything.

We hope for our new space to become a less compacted hub of our home. Warm and inviting, lived in and very much cooked in. A place for homework, crafts, entertaining, I could have a real dinner party, even in the winter! yes, the little things in life. Sorry, but please understand I can reach every zone in my present kitchen in 3 steps or less. Some would call it efficient, I'm not one of those people, and besides, the doctor said I need more exercise. So I need a bigger kitchen. Right?

As I said, this will be a well used kitchen. I cook everything, oldest daughter is a baker, and the 2 grandkids love to don their aprons and pull up a stool. It's fabulous.

I'm hoping with the bigger kitchen, I won't be so apt to tell people to get out, because honestly, it's just to small for chatting, peeps stand in my way, it's nuts. I want to enjoy my family.

Ok, we are pushing out the length of our kitchen, (22' wall) 18' at the max point, corners are angled. Also adding a walkin pantry.

Appliances include:

48'' cooktop

30'' convection wall oven with a 30'' Advantium above 27'' second oven tucked on the end of island,

raised dishwasher,

36'' cd all frig, 24'' cd all freezer,

u/c ice maker,

wine frig,

2 sinks.

I'm leaning towards a maple cabinets, stained in the brown family, not red, not orange, no offense to anyone, both are beautiful, but I've lived with oak for 20 years, I need a change. And we are so NOT a white family. Anyhow, mid range brown, not too light, not too dark, soapstone counters, and I'm leaning towards a colored stain on the island and cooktop hood behind it.

More on that later. Layout first. Let me say, I am not computer literate, this layout which I hope I post right. But also, sizes of cabs and the number of drawers and such are not acurate as yet. I'm fine tuning the actual usage and getting feedback from you before I struggle to update it on my computer program. Please be patient, and please feel free to flow openly with all questions and words of wisdom. Thanks, Missy

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen layout

Comments (12)