SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayec28

seeking opinions on coordinating island to kitchen

kayec28
14 years ago

I'm hoping someone out there can help me color-coordinate my upcoming new kitchen. I bought a 50's ranch with the typical galley style kitchen. It's going to be a total gut job so it really wouldn't be much help for me to post pictures. I'm going to open it up as much as I can but I'll need to keep roughly the same footprint as the current layout so the updated kitchen will be one long row of cabinets with range and refrigerator and then there will be an island where the other wall of cabinets sits currently; it will hold my sink and dishwasher as well as bar seating. Here's my dilemna. My vision is to have cream-colored cabinets wtih stainless steel countertops on the long row of cabinets. For a variety of reasons I don't want to carry the stainless steel countertops over to my island. But I do want the island to coordinate and have it seem part of a plan, not like I cheaped out.

I've come up with the following ideas so far and I welcome any input or suggestions:

1. Use the same cream colored cabinets on the island and go with a darker gray countertop--maybe quartz, concrete, paperstone, etc. If I do that, I'm stumped as to whether I should try to emulate the shiny quality of the SS for example quartz with mirrored flecks in it, or to go completely opposite and make it matte. Go lighter? Darker? Arrgh, the choices!

2. Flipflop the colors: Use unpainted cabinets for the island, paint them a nice shade of gray and put a cream-colored countertop on it--still don't know what material would work for the cream.

3. Dark gray island cabinet with light gray countertop or vice versa

Just FYI I prefer solid colors and don't usually go for speckles or things like that unless they're tone-on-tone. My accent color will be terracotta but I wouldn't be comfortable bringing that color into anything big like a cabinet or a countertop.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Kaye

P.S. If you've seen the HGTV dream home kitchen, then you've pretty much got my color scheme. Even my layout will be basically the same, minus all the space, windows and general fancy-ness!

Here is a link that might be useful: hgtv dream kitchen

Comments (6)