SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmp1228

Kitchen reno, layout opinions please

jmp1228
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

EDITED POST FOR COURTESY:::::::After reading Buelh's tips on how to post to houzz so the community has the information they need to help, I am editing my post. Much gratitude to those who have given me their feedback and expertise already based on the limited information I provided. It has been extremely helpful as we try to navigate all of these decisions. Below is more information which I hope will be useful as you review my request. Thank you.

We are doing a major reno to our kitchen. Attached is the proposed floor plan by our cabinetmaker as well as a few 3D diagrams. We are wide open for opinions. And I truly appreciate anyone who takes the time to offer their opinion. We have been waiting 20 years to do this and want to make sure all angles are considered before we forge ahead. Thank you!

A few things you should know:

1. We have a 2-story brick cape code house which faces east; I've noted our front door on the diagram. When you walk into our house we have a small very entrance: straight ahead you go upstairs to bedrooms, go right and you are in the DR, a step left and you are in the LR.

2. We are taking down a wall between our formal dining room and current kitchen to make a larger space. It has a full basement underneath. It is a loadbearing wall; our preference is to not have a header that can be seen rather a ceiling which is flush between the two rooms. We know it will be more expensive.

We cannot take down the wall between our kitchen and family room as the FR was an addition using an outside wall of brick; it does not have a full basement underneath, it's built on a slab and has a 2-stair step down.

3. We are empty nesters who cook dinner on a regular basis, but we are not chefs.

4. Our primary goal is to update our kitchen overall (it hasn't been touched in 20 years) with highest *priority* to having better entertaining space.

5. The space behind the penninsula is where I envision putting a round table and chairs.

6. Appliances:

Refrigerator: we currently have a 30 inch fridge as we replaced it when we moved in (we live in a full brick house from 1960 and that is all that would fit in the current kitchen); we plan to replace with 36 inch refrigerator.

Microwave: we are planning on a drawer microwave; it's currently placed in the penninsula.

Dishwasher: standard dishwasher planned

Range: per our current floor plan, we are anticipating a slide-in range with a separate hood; we would like to have open shelves on either side of the hood

I'm not sold on the angled cab at the end of the uppers... anyone have opinions on it? (see below)

Comments (13)