SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devafreya

Space heater vs furnace in unevenly heated house

DevaFreya
10 years ago

I've read a bit about the efficiency of space heaters vs. furnaces, but my situation is a little bit different and I'd like to hear opinions on it.

The big problem is that our upstairs rooms (bedrooms and bathroom) are SO VERY HOT during the winter, while the main floor rooms (living room and kitchen) are cool. Our house is split level. The bedrooms are above the furnace. The ducts for the main floor have to snake all the way through the crawlspace before they get to the living room and kitchen. The air is barely warm by that point. (I did insulate the ducts at the end of last winter, so that should help).
Making matters even worse, is that the thermostat is in the living room, at the end of the house furthest from the furnace, and this area has two large single pane windows.

I'm wondering if it might be energy efficient to use a space heater to keep the living room/kitchen warmer. It simply cannot be energy efficient for the upstairs rooms to be so hot they are uncomfortable, while the living room is on the cool side.
To be honest, I don't even care if we save money, as long as it doesn't cost MORE, and the house is more evenly heated.

Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (8)