SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
formerlyflorantha

Window treatment for high horizontal window

formerlyflorantha
13 years ago

Does anyone have any images of a relatively formal treatment of awning windows high on a wall?

I have ideas galore for my standard shaped windows, but I've got one goofy window unit overlooking the driveway in the lobby adjacent to the kitchen that is driving me nuts. DH has just finished the window trim and I really need two things: first of all, a temporary affordable window covering to last from now until I really know what the room is going to be like--probably will be in place at least 6 months, to cut draft and promote nighttime privacy. Eventually, I need to decide on something that will endure.

The unit is 6.5 feet wide and just under a yard deep, a pair of awning windows treated as a single unit. It starts about 14 inches from the ceiling, so only an adult can look out the window. (For those who have followed my story, this is the window we had to order in a rush when we realized that car doors on driveway could potentially open into a full-sized window.)

For the permanent solution, I will want light-filtering privacy at times, sun gain at times (it faces south), and full bore thermal covering at other times. There is essentially no sill because the moldings cascade in a stupid ziggurat [thanks, Pella!] out 6 inches to the wall and DH's promises for a geranium platform at position of the lower trim will never come to fruition. I could perhaps put very slim tension rods into the innermost tier of trim next to the glass pane (for something sheer) and add a second layer--a doublewide roman in a fabulous fabric hung from outside the window over the pair. OR mount some kind of light permeable blind on the inside and hang a retractable set of lined curtains on the outside, although I'm reluctant to expand the visual width of the window any more than necessary--wall space is at a premium and I have other plans for it. It is likely that a chest or a bench will be centered under the window, so I don't think I want to fake up a full length window using floor length curtains.

The front door is nearby--has full length white interior blinds embedded in it. These are for night privacy and sun gain/sun protection also.

As I said, images are solicited: Formal entryway with window high on the wall, like an old piano window. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz