Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Back Bacon Meets Baby Backs

weed30 St. Louis
14 years ago

They Came

They Ate

They Left

Sharon and Clive rolled into St. Louis for lunch today. It was an all too brief visit, but it was so much fun getting to meet, and it felt like I'd met them many times before. Sharon mentioned that they wanted to try some St. Louis BBQ, so we went to Pappy's in midtown. Oh, baby...them baby backs! We ordered the Big Ben - a slab of ribs, pulled pork sandwich, beef brisket sandwich, chicken quarter and double orders of baked beans & sweet potato fries. YIKES!!

Oh, and here's me and Sharon:

Next was a quick but necessary stop for photo op at a wonderful historic hotel here:

Then it was on to a can't-miss St. Louis institution, which just happens to be on the original Route 66:

For the uninitiated, frozen custard is ice cream with egg yolks added. (all arteries may leave the room now.)

It's then churned so it comes out like soft serve, and you can have stuff mixed in if you feel the calories and fat are still skimpy ;) But wait, there's more! Ted Drewe's features the "Concrete", which is so thick you can turn your cup upside down and it doesn't fall out. Clive and Sharon got the Southern Concrete - with praline pecans and butterscotch. I had the Fox Trot Concrete -- fudge, raspberries and macadamia nuts. I think we all pretty much felt like concrete after all of that food!

Sadly, their time was short, but we still got plenty of yakking in. We parted from Ted's parking lot....Clive insisting that they had to go back a block to the car wash because "there was dust on the Thunderbird". Snort. There are more photos to come - Sharon will post when she gets a chance...there are some goodies in her camera :) Thanks Sharon & Clive, for a great afternoon!!!

Comments (17)