SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

It bounced back!!!

I had almost forgotten how pleasant the flower garden could be in fall. And I sure didn't expect it to bounce back and become so floriferous in response to the rains after such an extremely hot and dry summer.

But now all is forgiven. The checks to the water board didn't bounce, the weather is cool, most of the summer flowers are still going and the fall bloomers are in full swing. Plus it is cool enough so we can start some serious thinking about how we want to move and change things around after the first frost.

But first I'd like to show you a couple of new things for me this year.

I've wanted this tall amaranth (7 or 8 ft) since I saw it at ARE in Brenham 15 years ago. Last year I spied it at the S.A. ARE where it had volunteered and when I laid on the ground kicking and sobbing the sales lady gave me a few seeds to get rid of me. I'll be saving seeds so no one else will have to go through what I did to get them ;-) ...

This ornamental pepper was one of my best buys this year, (from Lowe's sale table no less :-) It has dark purple peppers that turn red on a beautiful bush with varigated foliage. Very drought hardy ..

Another kind of shrimp plant that puts on the best show in the fall ...

Kathy, the Kalancho paddle plant you gave me is going to bloom! I didn't know they did that. LOL ...

I just love this little pinky finger size cactus! I know Kathy will too ;-) ...

A star performer all this year has been Bat faced cuphea ...

Ditto Pigeon berry ...

The Pink trumpet vine is the biggest and best ever, with so little water this year I can't imagine how how the 'vine' managed to get so large ...

A neat combo has been Blue plumbago growing around Golden wonder senna. The senna usually attracts lots big Sulfer butterflies. They use it for a caterpillar food plant as well as a nector source, but have only seen one butterfly this year and no cats ...

Just loved the neat way Macho mocha manfreda curls around Blue plumbago ...

First lady phlox, seen here with blue salvia, has been a star performer as well ...

Saw a little tiny bug nectoring on Blackfoot daisy, a very small flower. But when I blew up the picture I see he is stalking the smaller white and green polka dot insect that I didn't even notice. Such are the constant dramas going on among the flowers of which we are hardly aware.

How about the fancy pants on this little guy! Looks like he is dressed up for halloween as Darth Vador ! ...

A very happy surpise was my next door neighbor finding this Eastern ornate box turtle I had bought as a baby six or seven years ago. I purchased two of them and they escaped from my yard. I never saw hide nor hair of them again -- until now. Now if the other one would only turn up!

The Eastern variety much brighter colored than our local ornate box turtles. His name is Gorgeous George. Hopefully we'll have some gorgous babies next year. He was thrilled to meet the girls at the feeding station ...

I always like to see landscape views so here's a part of my back yard with Max and Sport checking things out ...

I would love to see pictures of your fall gardens! Everybody, please post some photos!

Comments (35)

• trsinc
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful as always!!! I'm so glad prodigal Gorgeous George came back! And as always I have questions, :-).

How much sun does your pigeon berry get? And what is the red/pink vine growing in the very back of your property - high up in the trees- in the last pic?

Pretty pretty pretty.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Tammy!

This pigeon berry probably gets around three or four hours of sun a day, but will grow and flower with more or less sun also.

The pink vine is 'red' Coral vine, which is really a darker pink rather than true red. It has even climbed to the very top of the tall ligustrum 'hedge' along the back fence, but doesn't show up in the picture.

Since I have pink coral vine also, which can be seen to left of picture above, I don't know if any of the seedlings will be 'red' or pink.

The pink coral vine climbs to the top of the tree it is on also. The color of everything is kinda of weird in the late evening sun, but here's a picture and it doesn't even show the top of tree. Coral vines are my favorite vine!

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Lovely, lovely, lovely! Roselee.

Thanks for sharing.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Oh, everything looks so beautiful. The pigeon berry you gave me is so pretty, full of berries and beautiful bright red leaves. I love it when we actually have a Fall season.
    The bees are buzzing everywhere and skipper butterflies are everywhere and I finally have sulphur cats

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Just beautiful, as always, Roselee. Thanks for posting.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for looking!

I just walked outside and saw this salvia I meant to post. It came in a bouquet and rooted very easily. I cut it way back in late summer, as I did a lot of things I was tired of watering, but it too bounced back. I love the lime green calix that supports the dark blue flower.

In the background to the right you can barely see the colors of Fruit cocktail shrimp. Jim, I think you mentioned yours didn't start blooming until late. Perhaps when better established it will bloom very early as mine does. It never lets up blooming all season.

• justintx
    14 years ago

WOW!!
    Great pics and subjects!! You 'dun' good!!
    J.D.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Your garden is just beautiful. It looks like there might just be room for that plant you bought at ARE yesterday.

It was a fun surprise to see you, Patty, and Tammy there.
    DH hadn't been to ARE before and he really enjoyed it. BTW, what was that trowel for?

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Hahaha, a trowel, I would say that is a little worse than snatching seeds off of the ground, LOL

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Oh, so actually it was "I laid on the ground kicking and sobbing" and digging with the trowel? Ha! Ha!Ha!
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Bought' a plant??? Shirley, what do you think that trowel was for (since Jolana wasn't there with her folding shovel?) LOL

Actually what happened was Patty and I had been looking for Agave vilmoriniana for several months -- even as far way as Santa Fe, and lo and behold ARE had them in gallon pots. Patty spotted what looked like siamese twins in one pot so we bought it hoping to divide it at some point.

Upon leaving ARE Patty said "Let's go ahead and separate them now." Well, they were tightly entwined and we thought, "If only we had a knife or a trowel!".

So Tammy innocently went trotting back to the sales cottage and asked the nice lady there if they had a knife or a trowel we could borrow. The nice lady rolled her eyes, threw her hands in the air and asked "What in the world are y'all going to dig up???"

Well, it took some quite lengthy explaining on Tammy's part, but before 911 was called to catch the 'thieves' the nice lady came out and patiently helped us cut apart the agaves and we went home happy. This was the same nice lady that gave me the Amaranth seeds last year.

BTW Shirley, it sure was a NICE surprise to see you and your DH and chat with you, but darn -- you just can't 'get away' with anything these days. Hahaha!

What did you 'get' there? (smiling ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave vilmoriniana

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes Jim. Does anyone have a wig I can borrow before I go back to ARE again? LOL

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHA, uh yeah, that sounds like it could have happened, lol

A wig? LOL I think you might need a complete makeover, lol

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What Jolana? You don't believe me? I can't imagine why. LOL!

But I think you are right about the make-over! The nice lady stepped out from behind the Changsha orange tree just as we were arriving with our bushel baskets. There are lots of ways you can get in trouble at ARE. LOL

{{gwi:641586}}

Buying lots of pretty rose bushes like this Mrs. Dudley Cross is another way:

{{gwi:212599}}

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHA, did she work there are did the bustees get to bust another, LOL

That tree was loaded, how wonderful would it be to have that??
    She's a big and beautiful rose. I don't think I have ever seen that one live and in living color

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's the nice lady who works there. She really is so sweet and told us to pick all we wanted as that would make less mess on the ground to clean up.

So we ate some and brought one home for the seeds to grow for the SAPS. Changsha comes true from seeds, totally freeze tolerant, sweet and easy to peel, and fruits at 7 years old. Seems like a long time, but time flies I have just 4 more years to go before mine has fruit.

Mrs. Dudly Cross is not only beautiful, but healthy and thornless. One of the best of the old roses IMHO.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

LOL, yep, you have to specify "bought" plants around this gang.

Changsha sounds like a great citrus choice for this area. It is also deer resistant.

Here's the latest from my "garden." This guy showed up for breakfast on Monday. Anyone want to guess how I came up with my username?

{{gwi:576604}}

Shirley

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness Shirley, he is one handsome guy. I use to get so frustrated with them, but I really miss them
    That is a great pic

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Well, first off, until I read through this thread I didn't know what a den of unabashed thieves I'd fallen in with by hanging out on this board.... So, now it seems the only right thing to to is promise not to squeal to the cops on ya if ya'll will share some of your ill-gotten booty with me. I take donations by mail. But, remember it needs to be stuff that'll survive blizzards up here. ;)

And, Jolana, when you say: "Oh my goodness Shirley, he is one handsome guy. I use to get so frustrated with them, but I really miss them" are you talking about deer or guys? (We're never frustrating so it couldn't be us guys, right?)

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

And, wouldn't you know it, science proves females succeed by starving out the males... at least if you are a marsh grass. ha ha.

Of course, they do it by asking for help from others. You know us guys, we'd rather starve than do that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Battle of the sexes

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Right! LOL That is a very interesting article and no worries that will happen with humans, lol

RC, again, I am joining in with you, we want our share,SEEEE
    LOL

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hahaha! RC and Jolana, okay -- I can be bought. It's worth it for all the fun we had and will have in the future -- if we stay out of the clinker.

How about some amaranth seeds? Changsha seeds? My first born Agave vilmoriniana?

BTW, nobody said anything about the plant I'm so proud of getting 'at last'; the one that's featured in the beginning of this thread - the amaranth! Just for that you have to look at another picture of it. And I have more pix if you don't like this one ... (giggling)

You have to admit it is a great plant for the 'back of the border' as they say in the gardening magazine. Anyone know its name?

{{gwi:375823}}

Shirley, I knew exactly why your screen name from first hand experience :-) but I love the photo of that beautiful buck. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Interesting article, RC! Who'd a thunk that a battle of the sexes goes on among the plant world.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You can ask Tammy and she can tell you exactly how loud the burglar alarm is at the San Antonio Art Museum, and I'm not kidding!

There happens to be a thick forty foot row of cannas along the back wall of the museum of a variety has the prettiest bright striped foliage I've ever seen in my rear view mirror.

(Plant collectors no matter where we go, and we DO have so much fun :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Canna Pink Sunburst

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Uh,oh! Anyone who hangs out with you may need bail money.

Those are beautiful cannas, love the foliage. I had been thinking of Canna Tropicana for next year, but that might even be prettier foliage.

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

Wow, pink sunburst. Very nice. I have a bunch of cannas, so I know they'll survive up here... if I send you a little shovel think you can "rustle" me up some rhizomes?

PS I know you can so its only a matter of if you will. ;) And, hey, if worse comes to worse, I'll promise to bail you and your cohorts out.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"if I send you a little shovel think you can "rustle" me up some rhizomes?"

For a little shovel like I hear Jolana keeps in her purse I would do about anything! We could have used something when we were scratching around in the dirt with our fingernails trying to find seeds to Black brush Acacia at ARE. It had such pretty thick, almost curly dense foliage, it didn't even look like an acacia. We found four seeds.

"And, hey, if worse comes to worse, I'll promise to bail you and your cohorts out."

You got a deal!

But since I didn't have that 'said' shovel I was reduced to searching for ripe seeds of which I found plenty. Someone on here told me they will bloom their first season (not like Jim's amarilis that took three years) and they were right. So I'm eager to see what these seeds produce when I plant them in the spring. Pink sunburst were the only variety in the group so they won't be mixed.

Shirley, the foliage on Tropicana is wonderful. You need both.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black brush acacia

• trsinc
    14 years ago

It's loud. It's very, very loud.

We DO always have fun. We'd probably have a good time in jail, lol, but I really don't want to find out.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

I can imagine it was quite loud. Yikes, that was close, huh? Of course, I would never pinch seeds or cuttings during my walks....

We have quite the battle of the sexes going on in our yard. Two bucks fighting yesterday and today an oblivious doe being stalked. We are staying on the deck a lot because it gets crazy out there.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Roselee, what conditions is your amaranth growing in? It actually looks like several varieties, most likely one of the many, many hybrids. How come when you were on the ground kicking and screaming, you didn't beg for the name, lol would that have been pushing it? LMAO
    Those Black Brush Acacias are so pretty. I am supposed to meet a guy next week to look at several varieties of Acacia

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jolana, if she said I didn't hear through my sobs that had turned to those of gratitude. Hahaha!

But I think you are right. It's probably something that reverted back to a more common variety, but it's pretty, grows in pretty much full sun, is very heat tolerant and whatever it is -- it is coming true from seed.

I was searching around the internet and came upon this GW thread. Scroll down and see pictures of giant amaranths Brian grows for a hobby. Talk about Jack and the bean stalk! Keep scrolling after the first picture. Do I need to be afraid, or very VERY afraid??? LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazing amaranth - Vegetable Forum ....

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shirley, bucks fighting in your front yard sounds pretty scary!

Yep, 'rock-oak-deer'. They are all in your picture and that says it all.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHA, I think very, very

Decades ago, I used to grow it for the seed, my cockatiels loved it and we ate the leaves.
    The last time I grew it, I had Hopi Red and Love Lies Bleeding
    the latter grew to be 13' I had never seen that, but it was beautiful. Some people call the same plant both names from above. I love amaranth but the gophers do too, lol
    Which is strange because when pigweed starts growing by the south fence (from wild pasture next to us) they never eat that, lol

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

That amaranth is amazingly tall. That would scare the neighbors.

Wish the deer would eat pigweed and that green weed with yellow flowers that looks similar to lantana.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Roselee, I need to ask a question about a cutting you gave me last summer. Night Blooming Jasmine. It is in a pot and a really good root system now. Should I keep it in a pot inside or plant it. I assume yours comes back every year? I have gotten mixed info online
    Thank you

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jolana, and anyone else who is interested, in years past night blooming jasmine has not been reliably hardy outside; although with these warm winters lately we might have to revise that idea. So just to be sure it lives you probably want to take it in for the winter.

I keep my 15 year old root bound plant in a 10 gallon pot with big holes in the bottom. As the first freeze approaches I cut it back, cut off the roots that have emerged from the holes and take it into the overwintering house.

When I put it out in the spring the roots again go through the bottom of the pot into the soil underneath. It grows very fast and starts to bloom fairly quickly. I give it a couple of Agriform fertizer tablets and water frequently. It takes a lot of shade with just a little filtered sun.

BTW, I'm rooting a bunch of them for the SAPS next spring :-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting