SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bml1414

calling all fisher & paykel w/d users

bml1414
18 years ago

I am going on week 3 without a properly functioning dryer and a washer that I have never been happy with (4 year old Maytag Neptunes) -- and trying very hard to find the right replacement. All of you who have been giving me advice on the Oasis and GE Harmony have been very helpful -- so thank you.

My latest thought on a top loader is the Fisher & Paykel washer & gas dryer -- which are shallower and should meet the depth requirements of my space (max 31 1/2"). Of course, my cabinets overhead may be a problem (55" from the floor) for the washer lid -- I have not had a chance to view them in person yet.

I would welcome info as to your experience with them, including noise (since mine are on the second floor) and availability of parts (since they are made in New Zealand, I believe).

Comments (30)

• grainlady_ks
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've had mine for around 5 years and haven't had any problems with either the F/P washer or dryer and would purchase them again.

After seeing the problems my daughter has had with her front-loading washing machine, and the accumulation of mold and gunk around the drum, and all the dripping mess - the top-loading F/P is a much better machine. It's very energy and water efficient.

The great part about the F/P is that they have so little that CAN go wrong with them, unlike standard washing machines; and a do-it-yourselfer will probably be able to make the repairs.

If I had it to do all over, I might reconsider the purchase of the dryer - but not because it has a problem.... Any dryer will dry clothes, especially after they have been through a high-RPM spin cycle. Unless you need/want them to be matching, any dryer will probably do - especially if $$$ is a consideration. Save the expense for the washer.

After I got my F/P set, my friend got the washer and is also thrilled with it. Her 15-year old dryer is drying the clothes much quicker than when she had her old washer.

Even with the high-speed spin - you won't feel any vibration/shaking from the washer.

Grainlady

• whirlpool_trainee
    18 years ago

According to the manual, the Fisher & Paykel (washer) measurements are:

Depth: 25 1/2" (650mm)
    Width: 25 1/2" (650mm)
    Height to top of console: 40"- 41 3/4" (1020-1060mm)
    Height lid open: 55"- 56 3/4" (1400-1440mm)
    Suggested clearance on both sides (left & right): 1" (25mm)

It depends on how you adjust the feet.

You can find a lot of info on this site if you do a search on "Fisher Paykel". You can also find a lot of info and pictures / video if you go to "automaticwasher.org". Go to the "Forum Archives" -> "Deluxe". Id suggest you use something like the Google Toolbar, which can search sites for specific keywords Âcause there are a lot of threads about their products.

Hope this helps,
    Alex

• Related Discussions

Keep FisherPaykel or go for Front Loader?

Q

Comments (4)
    F&P toploaders have ATC for ALL temperatures (they have five water temps), and the machine will beep an error if it doesn't sense a hot water flow coming in. It'll keep filling far as I know, but the beeping would be irritating. MomOf3Boys -- options for you in handling the dirtier loads: use the Perm Press workaround (it's not difficult to do), increase wash time to maximum, add the soak option, and there's also the Heavy cycle for stronger agitation. You could also stop and restart the cycle to repeat the wash agitation phase (it won't repeat the EcoActive wash if the tub is already filled). Of course some of these are manual workaround that require attention/interaction, which you may not have time to deal with it. If you're still interested in F&P, consider trading up to the IWL16 Intuitive Eco model. It has a lot more cycle options, including a separate setting to do a traditional deep-fill wash at the selected temperature (does NOT require the Perm Press workaround). Depends on what is the price difference compared to your alternate choice of a Frigidaire FL.
    ...See More

Fisher & Paykel Washer and Dryer

Q

Comments (35)
    tinatark said: You can't set a specialty wash to start later. - and - About the dryer, I think the reverse-tumble system should have a time out feature - I've left the house with stuff drying on the wrinkle free cycle - not realizing it - come home hours later and it was still tumbling! The washer's menu doesn't allow scrolling to a Lifecycle, pressing Select, then scrolling the menu back to the Delay Start option? You mean the Wrinkle Free function, not reverse tumble. Reverse tumble occurs every 4.5 minutes throughout the drying cycle, and is not directly related to the Wrinkle Free option. The Wrinkle Free function does time-out after approx 24 hrs. You do understand what the Wrinkle Free option is for, yes? It comes into play at the end of the drying cycle, when the machine would otherwise be done and shut off. If the Wrinkle Free option is enabled, the clothes will be tumbled without heat for about 30 seconds every five minutes to prevent wrinkles that would otherwise occur if the dry clothes were left crumpled and stationary in the drum for an extended period. The end-of-cycle signal beeps after each tumble, reminding the user that the load is actually done and ready to come out. Since you're out of the house and unable to unload, Wrinkle Free is doing exactly what it's supposed to do -- tumbling the clothes periodically until you return so they don't get wrinkled. Most dryers with this feature have it run a maximum of 40 mins to 2.5 hrs, depending on the brand and model. Running it for 24 hrs is one of F&P's unique features for clothes care and convenience of the user. Wrinkle Free is enabled by default on several cycles (Easy Iron, Delicate, Sheets, Shirts), but can be turned off before Starting .. or added to any cycle that doesn't include it by default.
    ...See More

Fisher & Paykel TL w & d @ Lowe's

Q

Comments (1)
    Fisher & Paykel washers and their top loading dryer are certainly highly regarded, and there are many posts here at Garden Web regarding these products. Consequently, I suggest searching the forum using the name Fisher & Paykel, or the name F&P, or something similar and you'll get lots of opinions and comments.
    ...See More

Fisher & Paykel EcoSmart - IEC 4th Addition ?'s

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm familiar with F&P washers, but not "hands-on" with that particular model. #1 - The User Guide at F&P's web site for WA42T26GW1 indicates the Allergy cycle is a hot wash with two cold agitated rinses. I assume that means hot wash for both EcoActive and the agitated wash period. For comparison, my older IWL12's Allergy cycle runs Hot water for EcoActive, Warm/Hot for the agitated wash period, two cold rinses and includes extra spray rinses during the spins. #2 - Some models in the past (such as GWL08) limited hot to 120F. However, service info I have for GWL15 (a Phase 7 production machine) indicates 140°F. My IWL12 (a Phase 6 machine) is 140°F (which is also the max my water heater can go). I don't have specific service info for WA42T26GW1, but I suspect it's also a Phase 7 machine at 140°F. As an aside, there is a way via Diagnostic Mode to run the hot water valve manually, which would be tap-hot for sure. #3 - The water temp selections on the panel are only for the wash. All rinses are cold. People are sometimes confused (and surely your salesman as well) when TWO indicator lights are on, thinking that's a reference to separate Wash & Rinse temps. It is not. Per the GWL15 info, these are the target temps: - Tap Cold = cold supply temp (if controlled cold is disabled when no hot supply is available) - [Controlled] Cold (Cold light) = minimum 68°F / 20°C - Warm/Cold (Cold + Warm lights) = 95°F / 35°C - Warm (Warm light) = 104°F / 40°C - Warm/Hot (Warm + Hot lights) = 122°F / 50°C (this does NOT mean hot wash with warm rinse!) - Hot (Hot light) = 140°F / 60°C (cold is added if the supply temp is higher, maximum recommended not to exceed 149°F) #4 - Water level is monitored by a tub pressure transducer on the controller board. The machine has two methods for setting water level. Auto-sensing, or manual. Manual setting is of course exactly that. It fills to the selected choice of five levels. Your pump-fill wouldn't cause a problem. Auto-sensing might would be confused. It sets the level in response to A) how much water is required to saturate the load and float the basket (to disengage it from the drive coupler so the agitator can oscillate separately) and B) a series of test agitation strokes determines the resistance of the load against the agitator fins. Note that auto-sense still adheres to the five levels, it's not truly variable. However, of more relevance is how your manual fill would impact the EcoActive wash process. On all cycles except Perm Press, the machine initially fills with just enough water to saturate the load, dissolve the detergent, and keep the pump primed to recirculate the concentrated wash solution over the clothes. This initial wash phase runs for about 4 mins to kick-start the cleaning process. If your manual fill is more water than is required for EcoActive, the machine will sense that it's already filled too much (the basket must not be floated for EcoActive) and skip the EcoActive wash period. That may or may not be of concern to you. Here are links to some videos I've placed on YouTube showing the operation of my IWL12. The fabric sensing process is not relevant to WA42T26GW1, it's only featured on the Intuitive series. Initial Fill & EcoActive Wash Water Level Sensing
    ...See More
  • washer_man
    18 years ago

I have a friend that has a Fisher & Paykel washer, and she loves it. She's only had it for six months or so, so she has no experience with long term relaibility. She also says that it doesn't vibrate at all.

The only negative comments that I've heard from her are that the cabinet sounds tinny, and the plastic lid and top seem cheap. She also doesn't like the controls. She's the kind that prefers buttons and knobs, and she says it sounds like a jet engine during the spin cycle.

She's very happy with it though.

• dadoes
    18 years ago

I've been using F&P laundry since 1999. My first set was a model GWL08 washer (and DE04 dryer), which is basically like the current GWL11 but without the EcoActive wash system. I had it for 5 years, at which time I 'upgraded' to the latest IWL12 and passed the GWL08 to my grandmother.

The DE08/DG08 traditional front-load dryer isn't particularly outstanding as dryers go, other than being a cosmetic match for the washer. However, the newer TOP-LOADING dryer DEGX1/DGGX1 (which I bought along with the IWL12 washer) is an entirely different creature, very nice.

• macawmom
    18 years ago

I got the IWL12 washer and top loading dryer a year ago, based mostly on the enthusiastic comments read here. I couldn't be happier with my decision. Although the tops are a heavy-duty plastic, the machines are very rugged and work very well. I love the handwash and wool features on the washer and the top-load ease of the dryer.
    Beth S. NJ

• bml1414
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beth -- Thanks for your comments. Since I see you are from NJ (as am I), where did you buy the set?

• macawmom
    18 years ago

I have seen that some Lowe's stock them, others have them on special order. I got the price at Lowe's and went to Karls' in Madison because I really liked the salesperson there who helped me when I got new appliances for the kitchen the year before. At that time, it had been called Gordon's Appliances and he was very helpful and got me a good price. Since they were taken over by the Karl's chain, it much harder for him to get me a better price but he did match the Lowe's price on sale and rebated the delivery and set up.

Hope this helps.

Also, the IWL12 has a cold plus setting that is useful here in the winter as it actually warms up the water going into the washer enough to get the detergent to work better. Our mudroom is very cold in the winter and so I thought this was a nice option when I do a cold wash.

Beth S. NJ

• dadoes
    18 years ago

I think the GWL11 has "cold+" (or controlled-cold) for the wash temp, but rinse is tap-cold. I vaguely recall a customization option mentioned in the GWL11 user guide to disable the controlled-cold feature, in cases when the machine is connected to only cold water and no hot is available for mixing.

• hrpuffnstuff
    18 years ago

I've had my f&p gwl11 since Nov 04 and I couldn't be happier with it. It's not perfect and occationally my kids will overload it and the spray will deflect off the clothes over the edge of the tub and onto the floor. As for cleaning my laundry it does the best job yet of all the washers I've used and is thrifty with the water if you leave it in auto.

• rhome410
    18 years ago

With a large family (10) and LOTS of laundry, our 6 yr old F & P washer and dryer have gotten a lot of use. We are just starting to build and living in temporary quarters that came with a brand new Whirlpool dryer and Kenmore washer. Until now I thought that the F & P dryer wasn't that necessary also...But I find that even though it's smaller in capacity, it dried much better than the Whirlpool. After seeing how much water the Kenmore used in comparison to the FP, we switched washers and even when given drier clothes, the dryer is not as good as the FP.

We had planned to put the F & P washer and dryer in our new house's upstairs laundry, and put a more compact, front-loading set on the main floor. My 18 yo daughter has BEGGED that we reconsider and put in a 2nd set of F&P instead. I think we will probably do that, even though I'd wanted to be able to put a counter over the front-loading set.

• timindy
    18 years ago

Your daughter is wise beyond her years!

• hbriggs
    18 years ago

I just replaced Neptunes with Fisher Paykel EcoSmart washer and the top loading dryer. I LOVE LOVE them. I was skeptical to change from FL to TL, but found that I really am happier. The washing machine is noisier than the Neptune, but not by much and it doesn't shake my house like the Neptune did (second floor also). The FL spins faster than the Neptune and my drying time is near cut in half. I personally think the dryer is the quietest I've heard in a long time and is quieter than my Neptune dryer. Overall I am really pleased.

On the parts, I just did have to call service and within one day had someone out here (I live ruraly) and F&P customer support was fantastic and very thorough. The problem was with the Kirkland soap I was using and he recommended to only use name brand soap.

Good luck. Hopefully you've got something by now.

• futbolmom
    18 years ago

Hello. I am also in the market for a new washer and dryer, and was just introduced to the Fisher & Paykel set. It's nice to see that everyone has very positive comments about the pair. I was really wanting a front loader, but now I'm not sure. Does anyone have any comments or comparison info between the TL and FL (with the exception of the Neptune, I have seen the many problems with that one). I'm just trying to find some direction. Thank you all for your time.

Angela

• dross
    18 years ago

comparison info between the TL and FL

In terms of what? There are many threads on this forum discussing the pros and cons of both types of machines, I'm not sure we need another - they get rather heated. If you go to the forum FAQ (see link at top of page) you might get some questions answered. - DR

• dadoes
    18 years ago

I'm thinking Angela wants a comparison between F&P's toploader specifically and frontloaders in general.

• warsher
    18 years ago

The Fisher and Paykel (is it GW11?) was the Premier Agitator (top load, VERTICAL axis) when I was considering it. Sure it still is. I would not get the bell and whistle FP if it was me.

I was wondering the same question a year ago, H or V axis? Here is why I got a HORIZONTAL axis. Firstly Consumer Reports has determined that all washers do an acceptable washing job. After that some are better. H Axis (front load) machines are generally better at washing, quite cosistantly actually, exceptions often mean very long wash cycles. Know one wants those. Gentleness? Agitators are not as gentle or efficient of available power as they rub enough on clothes to damage/break machine or sometimes tangle and even tear clothes, but only on the worse designs. When machine is packed full agitator and motor etc. is placed under stress. However, the FP is an latest generation agitator and addresses these problems effectively but not ultimately, is around 600 dollars to boot, verticals vibrate LESS, and I hear it is proving very durable. Very good on capacity also. Verticals require more water, significantly less efficient on water anyway. Water is cheap but it adds up nation wide.

Vertical axis machines without agitators have generally same characteristics as those with, but no agitator means more pounds of clothing can be accepted, a plus but ALL V Axis tubs might result in a problem with the outer tub that H Axis machines do not. They can leave residue, such as a ring of muck around outer tub like coffe in a cup. H Axis machines tend to spray and clean outer tub on spin cycle. Most machines incidently have plastic outer tub, I much prefer stainless in outer then inner tub for this reason. With the Staber, (H Axis) I can see the stainless outer tub through the big holes in the inner without a flashlight, looks new after a year. (stainless steel is also an air freshener) When shopping for an H Axis look for big holes in INNER tub so clothes get lots of water, look for stainless outer tub, such as Asko, Miele and the commercial machines. Asko and Miele for USA are not full size rated machines however, full size machines are best wether V or H Axis. Remember that the outer tub doubles as a structural member and supports the bearings etc. so stainless steel is preferable for that reason.

The H Axis will vibrate more, it vibrates into the floor as opposed paralell to it. It must be light. the Staber is 170 pounds, lightest fULL sizer I have seen, takes 18 pounds clothes. Always find out the weight of an H Axis when shopping.

An H Axis can be operated manuelly with leather gloves by spinning the tub. Try grabbing that agitator on your vertical axis with gloved hands and washing. Not easy is it? Now try it with a full load. Not as efficient as the H Axis which ofcourse functions as a wheel. Unlike any other H Axis, the Staber motor will recieve no friction when dealing with a full load as the tub does not rub against a window. An H Axis machine must deal with maximum WEIGHT for a given TUB SPACE (read as cubic feet) while dealing also with MASS as when you have to wash pillows or a comforter. Of all tub designs, the staber type (H axis without the window and TOP loading) Will generate zero friction on full or "crammed" load.

You see, when you put a big comforter in a H Axis, it does not tumble but spins in place, it is "crammed". Not jam packed mind you, just gently "crammed". This is why the small Mieles can effectively wash a comforter. In the Staber I pack in 3 pillows and a light comforter, they are reandered clean and odorless, they only weigh a few pounds and water can circulate therefore.

Since all machines must deal with the MAXIMUM WEIGHT they can accept in a tight weave fabric (t shirts) and secondly MASS ITSELF (Puffy Pillows), when comparing top versus agitator, H Axis is best. I have torn clothes from my Kenmoore agitator still. The FP design type with plastic flexible agitator is best and wo'nt tear clothes. On the Oasis, there is not much movement compared to GW11 FP, but remember the rule, all machines wash pretty good. Consider the other factors. ( once it's wet with soap and you spin it, your pretty much there) But the H Axis machines move the clothes around more, a plus. I Do'nt know how many pounds an Oasis can take, looks like a lot though, real plus. It is not as water efficient as a front load though.

The staber has the best wash action in an H Axis due to the six sided tub coupled with the 3 sided outer and has very big holes compared to what I recall seeing, any machine is MUCH more efficent if you wash full loads and in that mode Staber's wash action excells while placing no strain on motor. The efficient wash action speeds cycle times also, being 32 minutes, fast as it gets. It is a commercial machine, commercials last longer and fast cycles are one of the reasons why they do. Washing 8 versus 16 pounds per load doubles EVERY expense accociated with your washer including purchase price, most important rule with any machine, unless a big comforter breaks it which has happened with agitators, or unless machine tears comforter, which has happened with H Axis machines that load from the front. This is due to the tub not being enclosed on all sides as in the Staber, which produces the everest of gentle in a wash action, while lowering the price of manufacture significantly.

So HORIZONTAL Axis/TOP loader (not front) type machine offers the most. (So far that is) See the Staber website, only machine I recommend, in a bind I would probably be pretty happy with the FP, but for long run I think Staber is more money saving and I know it is more luxurious. In fact I sold the idea onto a couple the local mexicans here in LA area who do'nt have much money but have lots of clothes to wash, so it's an investment, but it's also about the day to day luxury.

Ball bearings. In the V axis they are more durable than the H Axis, of the 2 only Staber design supports the tub on BOTH ends, it has 2 sets of ball bearings, 4 races total. Ball bearings are important to consider, being a week link. If they go they can total machine, but in Staber they are easily replaceable by home owner and only machine I know of where they can be re-greased. Recently replaced 3 sets of ball bearings in the wheels of 2 new Honda Civc SI's. This is because now day's ball bearings are too tight and finicky. It's all ball bearings now days.

In summary.....Oh forgot to mention Warning: LONG POST

• aquarius2101
    18 years ago

Interesting that you mention that the size of the holes in the drum are an important factor in cleaning - it maybe in your Staber because it pumps water through the clothes rather than relying on tumbling, but on any other horizontal axis washer the paddles and tumbling do the cleaning. My Miele has tiny pinprick holes in it's honeycomb drum, yet can still (amazingly) manage to wash large loads and even duvets to perfection, in a quicker time than my AEG can which actually has quite large drum holes - water will always find it's own level no matter how big or small the holes are in the drum. All with much less water than a Staber shall need as there is no wasted space with the more traditional circular tubs...

FWIW, the glass window on frontload washers does not intefer with a tumbling load at all - the bowls are only there to serve a purpose so that the tumbling load doesn't intefer with the door seal. I have never heard of a frontloader having problems with tumbling the load, even a full one (bear in mind that even a crammed load, or a duvet in an H-axis washer is soon compacted down once wet) because the door glass is in the way. So, your point about the door glass intefering with the load is moot, especially seeming as the tumbling load only falls against it, in contrast to your theory that the laundry in the tub is constantly being pushed against the door glass.

But back to the F&Ps - I would definitely say that the F&P toploaders are more value for money than Staber's. Simple and reliable electronic controls (there is such a thing - consider higher end European washers for example which have used electronic controls for years without any major problems), faster spin speeds, more flexible cycle choices, not to mention that in general F&P's tend to be very reliable (I have contacts in Australia, and they always tell me that the F&P toploaders are the bestselling models out there, frankly because they're the most simply yet reliable). The only thing a Staber would have going for it would be a heater, if it had one.

Jon

• gilmoregal
    18 years ago

I looked at the F & P washers/dryers at a small, independent appliance store in my city. The salesperson said that they had received positive feedback about the washers and the front-load dryer but had experienced problems with the top-load dryers. Said that out of five of those dryers sold recently, three dryers had the drums "fall out". This is a respected dealer with its own installers and service technicians, so I have trouble believing that it was due to installation error, but I guess that's possible. Wonder if anyone else has heard about this problem or experienced it themselves? Just wanted to pass along the cautionary advice, FWIW.

• dadoes
    18 years ago

I've heard mention of a few cases of the ignitor on gas SmartLoad dryers (DGGX1) being damaged by excessively rough handling during shipping or installation. Nothing specific about the electric DEGX1 model. Mine is coming up on two years, no trouble thus far.

• warsher
    18 years ago

Aquarius, I honestly would of recommended the FP to those mexicans if I thought it would save them more money, capacity is one of the best ways to save money. In a recent test from CR 11 of 17 top loaders recieved a very good on capacity where the remaining 6 recieved a good. The 2 FP models recieved a good, so they are down on capacity. On front loaders, machines with a 18 pound capacity like Staber recieved very good. I hate having to re-drag the numbers back out on research I've already done.

Anyhow I actually recall some Kenmoores and whirpool etc. had direct drive and technology similar to FP, and according to CR more capacity, only reason I did not consider those is I found H Axis machines to be a better question for the answer. The agitator concept really bores me, but those considering FP should be aware of CR's findings! Ca'nt lie about that one, it might not be the best top loader out there. It cleans well though according to CR. Again I'm not familiar with there mechanicals.

If I start a Staber thread later on as I have been planning debate can continue regarding Staber versus Miele tub, if the accusers do'nt get me first, not expecting to get much response to a Staber thread, and then ther's the incognito business persons on this forum, I'm not here intending to make money, but to promote results. I'd go out of business before I bow to some bozo customer. It's happened before. And then extortion is very common on aaaall the forums, whether one is aware of it or not.

And then the government could sure use a break with citizens educated regarding efficientcy. What a buncho slobs. California is so much more efficient than most other states, and the small contributions of each citizen results in a much better place to live as the Gov. can afford to upgrade. When I buy something, I try to confine the purchase/taxes to the city I live in for this reason for instance. Never could figure out wasting water on ornamentals and grass.
    Should be gardens. Washing machines are a big chunk of that picture.

Looks like the line dry thread fizzled out....bad omen.

Uh oh.....some slobs are yelling at me because I do'nt have a flag hanging out front..

• dadoes
    18 years ago

Dunno how this compares to Staber.

IWL12 washer beneath basket. DEGX1 dryer to the left.

{{gwi:2001212}}

• aquarius2101
    18 years ago

Warsher,

I find yours (and Staber's) claims that their tub can be crammed even more than a frontloader untrue - you can stuff any frontloader full (provided its not so stuffed so that the door won't closed) and it runs to maximum efficiency & capacity. The Staber is no more efficient, and is actually somewhat less efficient due to higher amount of hot water used in the wash, and wasted water in the outer tub, than other front loaders.

Whether the agitator bores you or not isn't anything to do with the reliablity/performance of F&P machines. As I said, F&P's are more flexible in terms of cycle choices, are just as reliable as a Staber if not more, downright cheaper, and dare I say more attractive looking too.

I'm not surprised the line dry thread fizzled out, what with your ramblings about vegetable oil and whatever which have absolutely nothing to do with it. Maybe if you didn't ramble so much about nothing, then threads such as the line dry one will still be running. Fortunately I've tried to revive it by bringing it back to subject, but still...

Anyway if you want to create a pro-Staber thread, feel free, but don't pollute other threads that have nothing to do with Staber, as it just wastes posts that can otherwise be used more direct to the point.

As I said before, let's go back to the F&P's...

Jon

• warsher
    18 years ago

Looks pretty good. Weigh it! Subtract a pound for the basket. As I said before Staber takes 18 pounds of varied clothes with one gallon of triangular air space dry, 2 gallons without socks which are puffy so no the clothes are not jammed in. With that much clothes I find I need 4 ounces powder, or 2 liquid stead of one. I wait till the splashing drum is a bit muffled, this indicates suds. Powder must be melted first, at least with my junky detergent. I add it manuelly. Gotta get some Tide Cold, it was thee best in a recent CR shootout.

Did some reading about FP this afternoon....."Fisher and Paykel was tops in energy efficiency of all the top loaders," (CR) I'm sure Smart Fill helped with that. Staber does 5 dollars a year gas. Staber also has "Auto Fill Sensing" however, and adds water depending on the size of the load, I see no use for this frivoulous feature however. Uh-oh....here comes Dross again...

In case Angela is still wondering....According to CR "Do'nt overstuff the washer.... clothing needs enough room to move so it can be properly cleaned and rinsed, especially in a top loader. You can fill the tub of a front loader, but do'nt jam the clothes in."

In addition to the 18 pound capacity, the Staber works really well for puffy items, pillows, comforters, and such. I can wash 3 full size bed pillows and a lite twin size comforter all at the same time. They are rendered clean and odorless, pillows are always puffier afterward. The machine spins out fine in that mode, and does so on MAX spin speed as the machine washes these items without my having to set it on delicate, so the wash is more aggressive also. Really wrings em dry. That's what I mean by EVEREST of gentle.

CR 2005 observation "New survey data show that Fisher and Paykel has been among the most repair prone top-loaders"

CR observes recently that stainless steel can stand up to higher spin speeds but "has no edge over plastic". Unfortunately, in my reasoning sneeky engineers can breathe on plastic formulas in the lab in such a way as to feed mold if they elect to as can be done with paints (which contain tasty vegetable oil for mold to feed on). Plastic just scares me. It can absorb odors also depending on the plastic. Especially after 5-10 years. Stainless steel is beyond just odor-neutral, it is an air freshener. Not only that, when an inner tub is stainless both sides of it are stainless, thus protected/
    deoderized, plastic parts are often hollow and what if both sides are not glossed? Hollow parts increase surface/odor area as there are 2 sides to them. The finished glossy plastic is free of pores and stain resistant and in the same way, porcelain tubs are often finished on only one side. By pores I mean either literal or regarding retention as in odors. All this plastic jiberish is really just my own opinions/theorizing. But we have tupperware that definitly suffers from these problems, and even feel greasy and smells after hot wash or maybe because of it as these tuperwares soften with heat. On the Staber all 4 surfaces front and back of the inner and outer tubs are, well stainless, and have a natural permanent air freshening quality. One things for sure, the Staber always smells crispy fresh. Both tubs are thick as a butter knife, 18 gauge, and the frame base is stainless also on the 2404 model I went with. The outer tub can also be accesed and cleaned by hoemowner.

Long story short a friend down the street has a speed queen porcelain top loader and while it does'nt smell horrible it sure does not smell crispy fresh like the S----r does.

• timindy
    18 years ago

dadoes,

Thanks for posting the picture.

Great looking laundry area (I envy you)LOL

Your machines and the laundry area are just what I would have expected from you.

Very clean - spotless - well taken care of.

I considered the F&P for my mother's condo but in the end stuck with what I knew (and what my brother knew) since I would not be the only one doing laundry over there.

Your F&P's look great though and as you know they have great reputations for performance and reliability.

Enjoy um!

• raybeck
    18 years ago

I haven't posted in quite sometime, but wanted to add that I also have the F&P Washer and Front Load Dryer and love, love, love them!!! I think they are awesome! No problems, at all!

• dross
    18 years ago

To return to Angela's question, as clarified by Dadoes, a glance at the CEE website shows that the FLs usually considered here are more efficient than the FP (F&P is 'Tier 2', Asko 'Tier 3a', Miele/Bosch/HE*t/etc 'Tier 3B', where higher/later is better), but not by enough so that efficiency should be the deciding factor. (For reference, S****r is at 'Tier 2' with the F&P).
    I think a well-designed FL with an onboard heater gives more washing flexibility (such as profile washes), but I doubt there's a FL anywhere near the price point of the F&P that washes any better. - DR

• avantgarde35
    17 years ago

I am interested in the F&P DEGX2 toploader electric dryer. I would like some input for this product only.

• dadoes
    17 years ago

Far as I know, my DEGX1 is identical to the newer DEGX2, except for a change in the color of the control panel (blue to gray).

What exactly would you like to know?

• avantgarde35
    17 years ago

I would like to know if users are happy with the dryer, what problems they may have had and if they would purchase one again. It's a lot of money and I want to spend wisely. The salesman and Lowe's was pretty hot on this model.

• dadoes
    17 years ago

There have been several threads on this board about F&P's toploading "SmartLoad" dryer. Have you done a search either directly on the board or via Google?

A few people have reported problems. The gas model has a rather delicate ignitor assembly that sometimes is damaged if the machine is handled roughly during shipping and/or delivery. This of course doesn't apply to the electric units.

One or two people have reported clogging in the auto-scraping lint filter mechanism, but supposedly only the earlier models are affected and a redesigned part is available to deal with the problem if it tends to be recurring. I recently disassembled mine (takes only a screwdriver), and found some lint build-up but not enough to have affected the machine's operation.

There are also a few reports of trouble with the drum bearings going bad prematurely, I've believe F&P has covered the repair under warranty in all the cases.

I've not had any trouble. I'm quite happy with my dryer and would purchase it again.