SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom3boys_fporfl

Keep FisherPaykel or go for Front Loader?

mom3boys_fporfl
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but need some help from the FisherPaykel owners out there.

I just bought (Saturday) a FisherPaykel Ecosmart based on all the positive reviews from Epinions and here. However, I'm having some buyer remorse. I am concerned that my whites are not coming out clean.

The problem is, we had a non-auto temp control Maytag before that was just not cutting it in getting stains out. Then we decided not to do any washes until we picked up the Fisher & Paykel machine. So of course, on Saturday, I did a ton of washes, but I'm not sure that the stains in the clothes I washed were perhaps already set in from the other machine and then drying them, or if these were new stains, since it'd been awhile (about a week, which is an eternity in a house of 3 boys under 5), since I'd done a wash. So when the clothes came out less than stellar, I was disappointed, and went back to the Epinions reviews and looked at only the negative reviews. I related to them, especially the negative ones for the GWL11 machine (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is very similar to the GWL15 in mechanics), which complained that in terms of kids' clothes which can be very dirty from play/eating, the machine just doesn't cut it. Mainly because if you want to do a hot wash, the hot is actually only 4 minutes long and then the cold water comes rushing in. And then the permanent press trick you can do to get a full-fill hot wash isn't great either. But reading so many negative reviews of people with young children who said that the machine didn't cut it for them, or made them have to go through all kinds of stain removal products they never had to before, quite frankly freaked me out.

Another problem is this: my machine doesn't beep. So the bottom line is, I made a service call, and they are coming TOMORROW, and the deal is this: if I let them fix the machine, which they probably can, to get it to beep, I will no longer be able to return the machine, even if I pay a re-stocking fee, because it has been repaired. If I refuse to let them fix it, I can test it for awhile and if I want to return it, I don't have to pay the restocking fee. But if I test it and want to keep it, I can't get it fixed! And it would be nice to have some end-of-cycle beeping! (It's set to 15 beeps and I hear nothing).

So short of calling off the repair call, I'm not sure what I should do. I think my best bet is postponing the service call until I'm sure I want to keep this thing. If I want to return it, I'm willing to pay the restocking fee at this point, because I have the future (10+ years of young boys in the grass/playgound) to consider. If I end up returning the F&P, we will probably go for a Frigidaire FrontLoader, the one that Consumer Reports rated as a best buy.

Any advice out there, or testimonies that the F&P can really handle dirty loads? Of KIDS?

THANKS!

Mom of 3 boys

Comments (4)