SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
masdel

skin tags

masdel
16 years ago

Hi,could someone tell me how you use the liquid bandage for skin tags?I must not be using it right because all it did for me was make my tags red and sore.I still have them.Do you use this till they fall off? or just once or twice?

thanks

Comments (27)

• angelaid
    16 years ago

I tried every home remedy I read about trying to get rid of those darn things. Finally ended up going in and having them frozen off. Didn't hurt at all, wasn't that expensive and they haven't come back. That was years ago.

• good36
    16 years ago

I know this is going to sound awful but, I have cut my own off. Really does not hurt, honestly. Some of the bigger ones can bleed a little but not much. I always put triple antibiotic ointment on afterwards. Never had a problem. They have never returned either. Just pull and snip! Try a little one first.
    Judy

• Related Discussions

Skin tags

Q

Comments (5)
    our dermatologist said just to 'snip them' off & apply iodine! Said insurance wouldn't pay to have skin tags removed. Well, I had one removed by my regular Dr. & it bled so profusely that they had a difficult time to stop the bleeding so I doubt I would snip them off myself but a neighbor does it all the time & uses iodine & no problems.
    ...See More

Skin tags

Q

Comments (2)
    I did enquire about them at the drug store. My pharmacist said if they are small and the hanging kind the kits work good. She also said they don't work on big ones or ones close to the body. Since mine are like bubbles on the skin, not hanging and don;t bother me, I never tried the kits
    ...See More

Age spots on hands and my idea for preventing them

Q

Comments (7)
    My dermatologist took some brown spots off my face awhile back using this method, and it worked exactly like said. First they looked worse, then they looked scabby, then the scab came off and there was nice pink skin under it! I would never recommend trying do-it-yourself om your face, but you can remove brown spots elsewhere by applying dry ice. I did it on my arms and it worked. It doesn't take much time, so be very careful! It's also good to do these procedures in the winter so the tender new skin is not exposed to the sun, presuming your winters are cold and gray like mine.
    ...See More

skin tags

Q

Comments (2)
    You can apply tag away which i used on my lab which i've also used on myself. It's a natural remedy for skin tags and it worked. It's main ingrdient is thuja occidentalis. You can wikipedia to learn more about it. Here is a link that might be useful: Tag Away Skin Tag Removal
    ...See More
  • angela_nor_calif
    16 years ago

Ewwww Judy. You are brave! lol I've heard people say they've done that but there is NO WAY I could bring myself to do that. I have a few and they don't bother me so I'll live with them.

• petaloid
    16 years ago

I have a few but they are near my eyes so the Dr. thought it wouldn't be safe to freeze them. She gave me Tretinoin ointment the other day, but I haven't used it yet because the package directions say it should be kept away from the eyes. (Sigh!)

I did have one on my neck burned off by a Dr. in the past and it did not return.

• sandy_in_ia
    16 years ago

I have ALOT of skin tags...as my mother did. I have had at least 50 of them cut off one time by the Dr. He then told me that if I was able to get to them, I could cut them off myself. He said to make sure that you clean the manicure scissors and area, and then put bacitracin (sp?) on and a little bandaid if they bled. So, for years I have done just that. I will probably have my Dr. cut a bunch off again in the near future....that I can't get to by myself. If your scissors is good and sharp, it just hurts for a moment. I have even put that tooth ache medicine that makes it numb on some of the larger ones...that seems to help too.

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

I'd be interested to know how to remove them using Liquid Bandage, too. I either cut them off or tie them off and let them "die" and fall off.

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I always wondered if that wart medicine would work that you see in the TV commercials. I have had them removed by the doctor in the past, but have too many so would like to do them myself too.
    Clare

• anettemartinrn
    16 years ago

you can buy the freeze stuff over the counter now also

• foggyj
    16 years ago

What in the world causes them, in the first place? Obviously it has something to do with middle age, and gender. Don't see many males with the problem.

• patches_02
    16 years ago

i put a piece of ice on them for a couple of minutes then cut them off myself. Went to doc once to see about them he reached down and picked up a pair of scissors and charged me $75 so from now on i do it myself. Put peroxide on it afterwords.

• enjoyingspring
    16 years ago

I have put nail polish on them, they dry up and fall off.

• justlinda
    16 years ago

I'm not sure if the "tags" I have are the same kind. Mine are brown, and are on the neckline where a chain necklace would lie. They hurt like heck when they get stuck in the chain.

I had the doctor cut 2 off, but seems like they multiply, because now I have like 10-15 of those beggers.

My question ~ are they the same as you peeps have?

• donner
    16 years ago

Anyone have things that are round and slightly raised, some are around 1/4 inch? Don't know what they are called. I have a few around the bra band area.
    Donna

• good36
    16 years ago

Correct me if I am wrong but, I believe skin tags are formed around area's that are rubbed often. Like necklace's, seat belt, bra's, underarms ect...
    Judy

• whidbeykathy
    16 years ago

I put liquid bandage on mine, I do it a couple times a day. So far it has worked, probably the same as the nail polish thing. They are just extra cells, but I want then off of me!! Kathy

• liz
    16 years ago

i had one form where I wore a necklace...had it frozen off...never came back...i'd be to skeer'd to do it myself!

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Skin tags are mainly in older women and are also linked to weight gain but men get them as well.

Jodi-

• bettyswwa
    16 years ago

I haven't tried nail polish or liquid bandage. Not brave enough to cut them off. LOL! I just tie some dental floss around them tight, knot it and cut the floss fairly short. They just dry up and the tag and floss fall off in a few days.

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

They are caused by a virus, is what my dr. told me. My dad and I both get them.

Donner, I have three of those. I don't remember what the dermotologist called them, but she told me they would look worse if she cut them out. The one on my arm is still raised, one on one leg, I've cut so many times shaving, it's flat. The third, on the other leg, is under my ankle brace and seems to getting flat, also. I am wondering if lack of air is helping that one. I may try putting nail polish on them to see if that makes them go away.

I have cut some of the small ones off myself. That's all the dermotologist does to them, even if they are big. She just numbed them with a shot and cut them off.

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

Justlinda, yep, that's the same as mine, except for the ones donner mentioned. I was told they are caused by a virus.

Donner, I'm getting another one of those things about 3 inches from the other one on my leg, opposite leg the ankle brace is on.

Tami

• kacram
    16 years ago

i have a ton of them, and always have. when I was young too! ( not that I'm OLD now or anything but... lol) My MOm always had them.

hoe long does it take with the liquid bandage??

i did one with tread dental floss was too fat... and it took over a week.

• donner
    16 years ago

Tami, are yours a brown color? some of mine are. I know they should be checked and DH is starting to ask when i'm going to make an appt. i just hate going to drs.
    Donna

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I have to have some taken off almost every summer.Mine tend to collect around my bra band,and the bra irritates them so much they bleed.I also tend to get a yeast infection under my bra as well.This past summer,instead of paying 14.00 for a tube of medicine,i did as my sister told me to do,just used cornstarch under them and it worked better than the cream and was a whole lot cheaper.
    kathi

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

I had a teeny tiny tag just under my eye. I didn't know what it was. I was visiting a cousin that is a couple years older than me, and I asked her what it was. She said "Oh its a skin tag...just cut it off". I was horrified that she would do that herself.

One day when I was looking in my triple magnifying mirror.....(great investment, I might add) I realized it was so teeny tiny it couldn't possible hurt to cut it off. How much blood could that little ole thing put out. So, I sterilized my cuticle scissors and whacked that little sucker off.

Now I have one on my chest...it's not teeny tiny and much flatter. Guess, I'll wait til it raises its ugly head.

Gayle

• orie
    16 years ago

I have a mess of these ugly suckers. Almost all around my neck, a couple around the bra line. I've always gone in to get them cut off. My derm. says she cuts her own off but I couldn't do it. She laughed saying that I should see her scissors, they are dull and she still does it. Can you imagine.... I have a lot of them and recently they were irritated by a blouse collar and within a couple of days they were larger and I had even more! I once pinched one off not realizing that I was doing a skin tag. Didn't hurt much and hardly bled.

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

Yes, Donna, mine are a brown color. The newest one, if it is one, is still just mostly a skin color. My derm said it wasn't anything to worry about, but it would scar and look worse after she cut it out, than it would look to just leave them. So I am leaving them. It is not a skin tag, but I can't remember what she called it. I also have a number of skin tags.

Tami

• jannie
    16 years ago

I have occasionally found skin tags in my armpits. I shave them off with my razor.