SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_ont

Tick identification and advice, please (Icky PIC warning!)

nicole_ont
14 years ago

I've never had a tick experience before. I've never SEEN a tick before. I didn't even know we had them around here.

Our cats, Gilbert and Sullivan, are indoor cats. The thing is, they don't know that. They're fast and sneaky, and occasionally they scurry out the door when they get a chance. Sullivan is a bit of a chicken and sticks in our yard. He's always back within a few minutes. When Gilbert gets out, though, he is usually gone for a day or two before he returns.

About two weeks ago, I first noticed this thing on Gilbert's shoulder. I inspected it closely and in my naivete I thought it was a skin tag! I looked it up online and found that yes, cats can have skin tags. I decided to leave it alone and keep an eye on it in case it was a skin cancer or something. I've checked on it several times since then. It looked like a shell-less sunflower seed sticking out of his skin.

Today when I checked on it, I was inspecting the base - it looked to be attached by a very tiny thread _ I wondered if it would just pick off. Well when I gave it a gentle pick with my fingernail, I saw legs start to wiggle! Ug! Ick! Ew! I flipped out and called Claude at work for advice. I don't know why I didn't see the legs before - I have looked very closely several times, and moved it around gently, but saw no wiggly legs.

I looked up ticks online and sure enough, found one that looked just like this thing. I gathered my courage (yes, I'm a wuss) and used tweezers, like I read I should do, and pulled it straight out and plunked it in a cup of rubbing alcohol. I cleaned the site on Gilbert's skin thorougly and inspected it before putting an antibiotic ointment on it. I couldn't see any tick bits left behind.

This little guy looks quite decapitated though, doesn't he? I took pictures so I could get a better look at it to be sure. What should I do now? I'd like to avoid a trip to the vet if possible ($85 just for the consulation!), but of course I'll bring him in if it's necessary. From everything I've read, ticks don't usually stay on an animal as long as this one did.

I'll appreciate any advice, and does anyone have any idea what type of tick it is?

Thanks!

Comments (8)