SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kremerica

A/C stopped working at some point today

Kremerica
11 years ago

Hey All,

I had problems with my A/C unit on a 1500 sq ft house in Houston Texas last year and ended up having to get a new compressor. It was under warranty so I only paid about $100 bucks for the service guy. He said it was knocked out due to a bunch of rolling black out/brown outs during some thunderstorms last year.

anyways, its been running fine until today. I get home around 6pm and my wife says the house has been hot all day. The thermostat reads 82 when I look at it and its noticeably hot in the house compare to normal. I usually leave the A/C thermostat settings at 75 to 76 all day long.

The thermostat appears to be working, I don't hear the A/C fan blowing air from the air ducts and I don't hear air being sucked into the air return filter area. I can hear a fan spinning at low speed.

I went outside to look at the compressor and one of the lines is frozen with ice built up all over it. I go to the other side of the house and the drain from the A/C unit pan is slightly dripping water out of it, but not gushing or anything out of the ordinary.

I was told that I have a sealed unit last year and I can't inspect the coils without tearing open the A/C & heater box up in the attic and then having it taped or sealed back up, so I can't see if something inside the unit in the attic is frozen as well.

Pictures from outside compressor:

{{gwi:1583296}}

{{gwi:1583297}}

{{gwi:1583298}}

{{gwi:1583299}}

So I took the hose and cleaned out the box around the A/C compressor outside and melted all the ice that I could see off the lines. Turned off the A/C inside the house at the thermostat, just turned the whole unit to "off".

What causes this? I noticed that I haven't changed my filter in 3 months and it looks pretty dirty at the return air filter intake area. I ran to home depot and bought a new filter and installed it.

Can I run the heat to melt all the ice out of the system? I live in Houston and normally it is blistering hot, but this week it has been raining most days so the temperatures have been slightly lower than normal.

what should I do next?

Do you need more information?

thanks,

Teague

Comments (5)