SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

Check out the results of some haaaard work today...

johnmari
16 years ago

I know it doesn't seem like much, but our little shed was crammed with stuff tossed willy-nilly by idiot movers. (I think they may have broken my Toto Drake. Wah.) I was in there looking for my work gloves and garden snips since I need to do some pruning at the other house tomorrow, and I got so exasperated with not being able to get around that I spent a hard hour and a half rearranging. (Ooooo, am I sore.) Didn't find the snips or the gloves, but I did end up going back into the house for some tools so I could do a little bit of harvesting to yield these beautiful pieces. The porcelain knob isn't really anything that special, that's what's in the rest of the house although it's good to have a spare, but the other parts are heavy brass Eastlake Victorian pieces. The funny-looking things propped up on the batteries are mortise locks with beautiful embossed faces.

{{gwi:1881812}}

Sorry I couldn't get any even more detailed photos but my camera is old and doesn't do closeups well. Trust me when I say that the backplates are some of the prettiest I've ever seen, although it's a shame that one is all gunked up with paint. That's easy enough to remedy though. The right-hand set of knobs, mortise lock, and backplates will go in the living room door that opens off the foyer. The left-hand pair of knobs matches the front door and I'm going to switch them out for the paint-encrusted ones that are there, clean those up and save them for the original side door when we get that one repaired and reinstalled. I need to find another set of the knobs with the five flowers like on the right, since there is an extra set of backplates and a mortise lock in that pattern; it would be awfully fun to have both doors in the living room with matching pretty hardware. EBay here I come! There are some more plain parts out there that are glued down by what seems like 100 layers of paint, and I'm going to have to let DH tackle that when he has time (which will be a while). All the doors that I stripped of hardware were punky and have to go to the dump; luckily we have lots of identical doors inside. One of the great things about finding this hardware is that it helps us understand what the house might have looked like in its younger years.

Comments (17)