SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Foods You Like But Kids/Familiy/Others Hate?

John Liu
14 years ago

What foods do you find ''yummy tasty'', that make your kids, significant other, or friends go ''eww yuck gag''? How do you deal with this dissonance?

We have a lot of this in my house. Some is due to the kids' having not yet developed their taste for foods that many people do learn to like - cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, finfish, crabs and other shellfish, sashimi, snails. Over time, they seem to come around - Spawn1 now loves creamy French cheeses and actually took a bite of fish last month, and Spawn2 will eat a piece of tomato if there is a taco wrapped around it.

I also am a fan of some Western foods that neither SWMBO or Spawn1/Spawn2 (otherwise known as DD and DS) will eat - raw beef is the main one.

I've also been trying to recapture some Chinese tastes from my youth - Thousand-Year eggs, cartilage, necks, miscellaneous organs - that neither family nor our Anglo friends will touch.

How to cope? Around here, we frequently end up cooking alternative dishes. It is easier than dealing with the drama and potentially turning the kid off chicken livers for life. When I was little, I sometimes had to do the eat-your-food-or-sit-at-the-table-all-evening thing. Finally a spectacular fit of regurgitation cured my dad of that particular philosophy.

Just from occasional comments on threads, I gather that some others have similar conflicts at the dinner table.

Comments (21)