SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Carrier unit condenser out - ac co. trying to sell svce contract

rockybird
9 years ago

I have two Carrier units that are 5 ton 15 seer. I think they are 2010 units and were installed around dec 2010 or early 2011. I had a lot of issues with the co. installing them. Anyway, 3-4 yrs later, the compressor is out on one of them. Of course, as always, it happens on a holiday. And I live in AZ. The ac co. has been out a couple times to fix things on the units. Now they are trying to sell me a 14005 yr service contract. I told them that was ridiculous. They said my warranty covers the parts, labor, etc. for 10 yrs but since I have had no maintenance records on the units, carrier wont replace anything under the warranty. If I buy this contract, they will tell Carrier I have a maintenance contract. This all sounds VERY fishy to me.

I called another ac co. who said this is not true and that carrier will cover their warranty obligation regardless. The only question is whether the labor is covered by carrier or the ac co. I do not remember and my receipts are all buried somewhere in boxes. The ac co cant access the records until monday, but they said I do have 10/10/10 coverage, they just dont know if it's from them or Carrier.

Does anyone know if Carrier offers warranty coverage for labor? Is this true about the maintenance issues? What this ac co is doing sounds underhanded to me.

This post was edited by rockybird on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 18:49

Comments (5)