SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cadant

Purchased new AC mini-split, but found out condenser is 4 years old

Catherine
3 years ago

We purchased and installed a brand new Carrier mini-split system with a reputable local HVAC company. We originally wanted Mitsubishi but were sold on Carrier because of their 10 year warranty. We paid full price. The wall unit had to be replaced during installation because it did not cool correctly. We did not live in the house for a while and so really just started using it this year. Barely a year after installation, it started leaking badly. Called the company and it seems it was not installed correctly where the drain meets the line. They fixed it. However, what concerns me is that the repair person thought this was an older unit. It had a lot of rust (disclaimer: I am in Florida so it does take a beating) When I called his manager to discuss pricing on the repair, I was told it was a 4 yr old unit ... I was shocked and told him it was exactly one year old, he looked something up in the system and told me it must have been a typo. That was enough to make me suspicious, so I looked up the serial number on both the inside and outside units with Carrier. The inside unit was manufactured in 2019, but my warranty was reduced to 5 year because it was a warranty replacement. It never worked, so I feel it should have just been returned at the time of installation. Instead, they treated it as a warranty replacement, which means my 10 year warranty was reduced to 5 year from day one. Most shocking to me is the outside unit ... the serial number indicates that the unit was manufactured in 2016, over 3 years prior to the installation date. Also, when I look up the serial number on the Carrier warranty website, it does not come up at all. I reached out to my salesperson and here is the answer I received First: "Thank you for reaching out to me. I remember your home and the first issues we had with the installation I did indeed sell you a new system but as I see, the serial number is from 2016. I do not understand why this is and will follow up tomorrow. It is typical that a replacement within warranty will not extend the warranty though. I completely agree that your experience has been less than great regarding this system and we stand behind our work and the products we sell. I will follow up with once I’ve had a chance to speak with Paul." ---------- Then he wrote "I have verified through Carrier that you do have a 10 year warranty from installation date. It is registered and valid. Even though the condenser was manufactured in 2016, it is still new. Air conditioners are not like cars with “model years”. Some models are around for years." ----------I am really concerned and would like to know if I am over reacting. Why was a unit over 3 year old installed? Where was it sitting for 3 years? Could the internal parts have started deteriorating/rusting early if not stored properly for 3 years? Could it be a returned/refurbished item? I don't want to be difficult or seem unreasonable, but something just does not seem right ... and I have been taken advantage of by other trades in the past so I am trying to be diligent now. I would like some opinions as to what is reasonable. Also, labor is not included in the warranty, and apparently this unit requires 2 men to be worked on (which of course increases my labor cost) so I would like to make sure I don't have to pay any more than I have to because of early deterioration. And should I trust the salesperson that it is warranted even though the Carrier website does not recognize that serial number?! Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments (3)