SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
old_salt_gw

Ductless Mini-split air conditioning

old_salt
15 years ago

Newbie here: Just read 3 years of this thread ..! Good exchanges; last was March.'08. My question: Can anyone support me in my plan to use a dual split unit for just the front two BR's? Spouse want's to go triple and also cool the larger of the two rear BR's ... resale value of 'fully' AC'd in the listing...

I am providing gory detail, as I hope to provoke various short comments on specific areas. Please don't think I expect any one person to do anything beyond sharing some specific applicable experience ..!

Not new to MrSlim; have 1-year old unit on rear wall, above 'shed' roof, between 2nd/3rd floors of 3 story 1930's vintage home. Evap is 18K and lives near top of dormer, 10 inches below peak of sloping-wall finished attic. We now enjoy two 'attic' guest bedrooms with double beds and common sitting area. Highest electric bill this summer was $250, even though our average settings were below 74 degrees with normal Hampton Road 90-90 temp-humid ... We cool the whole 2600 sq ft house with MrSlim in attic (stairway open), a single 6K window unit in our MBR (spouse loves it COOL & I hate the noise) and a custom-ducted 1978 30K btu retrofit on 1st floor. I still can't believe how much of that heat-dumping must be due to the efficient new unit in the attic. As 1930's houses here were not insulated, this one had cellulose blown in thru holes in the cedar shingles back in the '50's or so, probably when the two long-gone Whispairs were installed ... go figure!

We just bought a $115 Lowes special 6K btu for temporary use in the front guest BR window. Spouse did heat-loss calc's and came up with 4 to 5.5 Kbtu per room. Heat loss I did for for furnace installed in 1980 was 48K to 55K btu's for a 50 degree heating day for the entire house. 65K burner nozzles have worked well for typical mild winters. We light off a 65K btu sealed wood stove, especially on those extremely rare nights when it goes below 20 degrees out! ... but, I digress, except that the second heat loss value is just as relevant to whole house cooling as it is to heating.

I note well the recommendation for professional charging and implementation testing. I hired an acquaintance who owns a small gas furnace and AC service company, both to replace the 25 year old compressor on the first floor (successful) and later to install the MrSlim unit 2 1/2 stories up (well done except for the dressing and covering of the high exterior lines... ). I think I hurt his feelings, when I noted how sloppy his crew was on the outside work. His crew had never dealt with removing an old Whispair from the 2.5 story level. One fellow cut his hands up pretty bad when it got away from the two man crew. My spouse used to manage build-outs of shopping centers. She has long handled emergencies and did a super job of patching him up and providing gloves ... after the fact, ugh! They managed to steer it into a metal roof 'alley-way', so all I had to do was patch sheet metal, not replace slate! It may have weighed only 200 lbs, but it JUMPED as they popped it free from its sealed duct frame. CRASH ! They called in a purpose-made lift-boom to finish the job! I trust my friend's company, especially for repair and replacement. I hung and wired the compressor. HVAC Co. crew did the evaporator and tube-set.

Hint: Don't ever do high work on a compressor without such a lift! Not certain he still wants to do my installs. I'll never do one up that high again either! Fortunately there is a full width front porch roof to walk on like we did in the back, and the compressor will be near the ground. There are lots of bullets to dodge in the HVAC business.

I have the new electric line run. It is in the same hole as was the first floor Whispair, replaced 25 years ago, I plan to purchase the wall bracket to hang the compressor at about 4 or 5 feet up. Nothing goes on the ground if I can help it. Hurricane flooding is real when your foundation meets grass at 12 feet above MSL. It is plumb silly to 'dare' Mother Nature with an expensive compressor and electronics on the ground !?!

I then plan to purchase and install the units, stopping at putting the tube-sets into my PVC hurricane 'chases', lag-bolted to the exterior. I will design the chases; I can cut 3 inch holes; and, I can bolt things up plumb and level!

All this is pretty detailed; I hope the moderator is generous. However, I know I qualify only as a homeowner with some applicable skills. I lack on-the-job experience out in the market!

At a heat loss of 6K btu per room, I would rather put in 2x12K btu than go for overkill at 3x9Kbtu. The third tube run would have to go around a really 'lumpy' brick chimney! Comments ..? Suggestions ..!

OBTW - - I will surely purchase another MrSlim, if I can find a outlet that will sell to me. I've seen several split units in commercial service, and mine is superior to those other brands.

Comments (2)