SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theutahn

Help with Carrier AC decision

theutahn
11 years ago

Hoping to solicit some advice from the pros here... We currently have a Carrier Infinity 96% efficiency furnace, variable speed blower, 2 stage gas valve, 80k btu furnace with the Infinity controller. The AC portion was an existing install, Kenmore 14SEEER. The compressor is making a very loud 'bang' every time it kicks off and we've had several techs from different companies give us bids to fix it. All bids have been what I consider to be too much in comparison to investing in a new system.

In any case, we are looking at the Carrier Infinity and Bryant Evolution communicating series of AC and heat pumps. I do know I'd like at least a dual stage compressor for comfort, but beyond that I don't know what to do. The sales guys are all trying to sell the highest seer available (obviously) and are pushing the heat pump as a good option saying that they'll both save us a ton of money. I'm not so sure and the information out there on money savings with a higher seer rating is mostly sales literature.

In AC, we are looking at the 24ANB6, 24ANB7, and 24ANB1 in a 3 ton with 3.5 ton coil. Manual J calculations have been performed by 2 of the bidders with the same results.

In heat pump, looking at the 25HNB6, 25HNB9, and 25VNA0 in a 3 ton with 3.5 ton coil.

Can anyone advise if there is any financial benefit to going with the higher SEER/EER rated units? I'd love to lower our utility bills but the higher units are significantly more expensive.

Live in Utah, where summers are hot 90-100*, winter is cold 10-40*, and spring and summer can be mild or any combination thereof. Rates for our power are as follows:

Summer:

1-400kw 8.6c/kw
401-1000kw 11.2c/kw
1001+kw 14c/kw

Winter:

1-400kw 8.6c/kw
400+kw 9.6c/kw

Rates for the gas as follows:

Summer:

1st 45dec 6.95/dec
45+dec 5.69

Winter:

1st 45dec 7.91/dec
45+dec 6.52/dec

Thanks for any help or advice you can give!

Comments (14)