SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annigold

Have A/C Furnace Estimates... Advice, please?

annigold
15 years ago

I'm planning to have my old Gaffers & Sattler furnace replaced and have A/C installed at the same time. I've attempted to do my due diligence and had four HVAC guys provide quotes for the work involved. (Despite getting a friend's referral, the first guy turned out to be a not-so-good option, so his quote is not included here.) Apologies for the length -- lots of detail.

About the house:

Located in Bay Area, CA

1500 sf, single story

Back of the house has SE exposure

Ducting runs under the house (crawlspace)

All rooms have floor registers

Existing furnace (downflow) is located in a closet in the center of the house. No plans to move it anywhere else.

I plan to be in the house for 5-7 years

Company 1

Furnace: Carrier Performance #58CVX090-1-14, 90K BTU, 2-stage, 80% AFUE

A/C: Carrier Comfort #24ABA442A003, 3.5 ton, 14 SEER

ADP Cooling Coil #HCPT6648C175

Thermostat: Pull 4(?) wires and add White Rodgers #1F80-361

Includes EZ Flex filter, A/C preformed pad, sheet-metal fabrication, flue, gas connections, electrical connections, A/C startup, check, etc.

*Does not include adding a new 40-amp circuit for A/C

Total: $7000

Estimator asked to see all floor registers, return vent, furnace, backyard for A/C location,shade trees, etc. No Manual J calculations mentioned or offered by his company. Total meeting time: 1 hour.

Company 2

(a) Furnace: Carrier Comfort 80 #58DLX090-14, 84K BTU, 80% AFUE

A/C: Carrier Base 13 Puron #24ABA342, 42K BTU, 13 SEER, "install matching cooling coil"

Thermostat: Use existing

$6785

(b)Furnace: Carrier Two-Stage #58CTX090-14, 80% AFUE, 68K BTU high, 47K BTU low

A/C: Carrier Comfort 14 Series Puron Condensing Unit #24ACA442, 42K BTU cooling capacity, 14 SEER,

$7210

(c)Same furnace as (b), but upgrade A/C to Carrier Perfomance 15 Series Puron Condensing Unit #24APA524, 42K BTU cooling, 15 SEER

Add $150 (total $7360)

For all options, includes A/C preformed pad, sheet-metal fabrication, flue, gas connections, electrical connections, A/C startup, check, etc.

Estimator asked about location of registers (didn't ask to see or walk the house), looked at the furnace, return vent, backyard for A/C location. No Manual J calculations mentioned or offered by his company. Total meeting time: 15 minutes

FYI, I had my electrician quote on the 40-amp circuit as companies 1 & 2 don't supply that directly. And Company 2 works with my electrician regularly, so that's a non-issue.

Company 3

Furnace: Trane #XL-80, TDD2B100A9451A, 100K BTU

Install 17.5" Down-flow filter box

Fabricate and install new sound-lined supply and return air plenums (for quiet system)

Gas line, shutoff valve and flexible connector from existing floor service

Add sound flex at return grill using alumna-flex ductwork with 1.5 insulation, vapor barrier, and balancing dampers.

Install one return plenum at furnace using insulated sound attentuating duct.

Thermostat: Honeywell digital with wiring

$3450

A/C: Trane #2TTR3042A1000A, 3.5 ton, on pre-formed pad

Install matching coil with TXV valve in horizontal position

Install refrigerant piping

Install low voltage control wiring, condensate drain/pump, and 40 amp circuit

$5880

The owner from Company 3 met with me and asked to "walk the house" to see all floor registers, the furnace, backyard for A/C location, shade trees, etc. He also asked about the existing ducting, assumed that there were leaks and suggested replacing ducting at a future date, as well as adding another floor register to two to handle the A/C airflow. No Manual J calculations mentioned or offered by his company.

Also, he quoted Trane specifically because I asked him to -- as an alternative to the Carrier dealers.

Total meeting time: 1 hour, but that's because I had to cut it off. The guy was willing to keep discussing options, answering questions, and complete the proposal on the spot.

1. So, are the Carrier guys quoting really base-level equipment as a starting point?

2. Guy 3 has some things in his quote that the other two don't for sound control. Is this work good, necessary, or extra?

3. Guy 3 also sells York A/C units. How do these compare to the Trane or Carrier? The only reason I ask is that he mentioned it when I asked about the size of the A/C units. I have one, very limited space in which to place the condensing unit, so the smaller, the better.

Would appreciate any and all feedback regarding the equipment, price, etc.

Comments (12)