SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annigold

New Furnace & A/C -- Really need feedback!

annigold
15 years ago

Hi all,

After obtaining estimates from 5 different companies, I've narrowed it down to two Carrier dealers, who are offering me almost the same products and similar pricing. Both companies are reputable, check out ok on the BBB, and were recommended by my utility company. (And FYI, not one estimator provided a Manual J. I've been told by the HVAC companies and a utility company rep that it's just not done out here, unless the house is large or has vaulted ceilings, multiple levels, etc.) I'd like to make my decision this week and get the work started to coincide with my vacation time in August, but I could *really* use your help. Details first, questions below.

House summary:

Located in Bay Area, CA

1500 sf, single story, long and narrow

Back of the house has SE exposure

Ducting runs under the house (crawlspace)

All rooms have floor registers

Existing furnace (downflow) is located in a closet in the center of the house. No plans to move it anywhere else.

Air return is in the ceiling at one end of the hallway (no registers nearby), the thermostat is at the other end of the hallway.

I plan to be in the house for 5-7 years

Both companies will

* Remove and dispose of the old furnace

* Include an EZ Flex filter, A/C preformed pad, sheet-metal fabrication, flue, gas connections, electrical connections, A/C startup, check, refrigerant piping, etc.

* Relocate water lines and hose bibb on exterior of house for placement of A/C condensor unit.

Installing a new 40-amp circuit for A/C is separate and has been quoted by my electrician.

Company 1

Furnace: Carrier Performance #58CTX090-1-14, 90K BTU, 2-stage, 80% AFUE

A/C: Carrier Comfort #24ACA442A003, 3.5 ton, 14 SEER

ADP Cooling Coil #HCPT9648C175

Thermostat: Pull 4(?) wires and add White Rodgers #1F80-361

Total: $7250

Company 2

(Option 1)

Furnace: Carrier Two-Stage #58CTX090-14, 80% AFUE, 68K BTU high, 47K BTU low

A/C: Carrier Comfort 14 Series Puron Condensing Unit #24ACA442, 42K BTU cooling capacity, 14 SEER,

ADP Cooling Coil #HCPT9648C175

Thermostat: Pull 4 wires and add White Rodgers #1F80-361

$7615 - $325 rebate = $7290

(Option 2)

Same furnace, cooling coil and thermostat as (b), but upgrade A/C to Carrier Perfomance 15 Series Puron Condensing Unit #24APA524, 42K BTU cooling, 15 SEER

Add $150 (total $7440)

So here are my questions:

1. Upgrading A/C condenser unit -- big, red flag

When I asked Company 1 to provide the pricing for upgrading to the Performance A/C condenser, I was told that the only way to do that is to upgrade to the Infinity furnace and change the coil (add $750 for the furnace to start, plus $$ for condenser and coil). They wouldn't offer the option to get the Performance A/C with the Performance furnace because it didn't gain me anything in terms of efficiency or performance. Thoughts? True or false? BTW, Company 2 told me that upgrading to the Infinity furnace would not gain me much in the way efficiency for the Comfort or Performance A/C unit. So, who's right here?

2. Infinity Furnace upgrade

This is Carrier's two-stage, variable speed furnace. I know there are lots of recommendations on this board for going high-end on the furnace for efficiency, etc. If I end up staying in my house for less than 7 years, is it really worth the extra $$? Also, does having the variable speed furnace give the optimal SEER for the A/C unit? (E.g., if the Performance unit can get up to 15 SEER, under what conditions does that occur?)

3. Thermostats

Both companies are recommending the same thermostat, but based on forum recommendations, I'm interested in the Honeywell (probably VisionPro or FocusPro... not IAQ). Company 1 didn't think much of my Honeywell idea, saying instead that they find the White-Rodgers easiest for customers to program. Company 2 is willing to install any thermostat I like, if I want to change or get my own. They just happen to stock White-Rodgers. Why would a company care what thermostat I use? Do the Honeywell products I mentioned work well with the Carrier products?

4. Thermostat wires

I've had companies tell me they're going to pull 4, 5, or even 6 wires for the thermostat. What's the difference? If I want to add a humidifier later, does it matter how many wires and the type of thermostat? Will the White-Rodgers support that?

5. Carrier Infinity Thermostat

Is this a good product?

6. Other thoughts, concerns, considerations?

This forum has been such a great source of information! So glad I found it.

Thanks!

Comments (12)