SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irislover7b

why doesn't this strawberry pie set up?

irislover7b
15 years ago

I've made this recipe three times. The first time, it came out perfectly. The last two times, it tasted fine, but it was very runny. The first time I made a graham crust, the second time I bought a graham crust and the third time I made a crust from oatmeal, flour, coconut, oil and ice water. I don't think the crust would make any difference in how it turns out, though. I don't remember doing anything differently with the first one. After the second one didn't set up, I thought maybe I should cook it longer, so I tried that. I think I "stirred constantly" for 20-25 minutes, at least. My stove is electric, so takes a while to get to a boil. It seemed to be thickened up nicely when I took it off the heat. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I made sure it was completely cool before adding the berries. Does cornstarch need to be very fresh?

Fresh Strawberry Pie

1 1/2 quart strawberries

1 heaping cup sugar

3 Tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 cup water

pie shell

Crush berries to make 1 cup in blender (I used a stick blender each time). In pan combine sugar and cornstarch, add crushed berries and water. Cook on medium til it boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Cool. Add remaining berries to glaze and toss to coat. Pour into shell. Chill and add whipped topping.

Comments (15)