SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Easter

annie1992
14 years ago

This year Easter had fewer people at the table than usual. Ashley and Elery both had 12 hour shifts to work on Easter, which kind of sucked, but Amanda, Dave, the kids, cousin Tommy and my Mother all came for dinner.

The Princess and Bruvver started Easter early, last weekend, with a visit to the local nursing home to have an egg hunt with the senior residents. Bruvver hugged everyone and The Princess charmed them all:

We ran into my nephew's wife, Rachel, and their son Jourdon:

along with my sister's twins, Autumn and Summer, also known to the family as the Terrible Twosome:

After visiting the "Grandmas and Grandpas", we visited with the Easter Bunny!

I haven't figured out how they got so cute, when their mother has that big blue balloon for a head, though...

We went back to Amanda's house and made The Princess's favorite, Frisian Bread, but we filled it with cinnamon sugar and made a braid to hold Easter Eggs:

Easter morning at my house brought more egg hunts for The Princess and Bruvver, along with Dave's cousin Tommy, who suddenly sprouted ears, courtesy of The Princess:

The kids brought me Easter eggs that they had colored and decorated just for me. It appears that this year's Easter theme was Halloween, LOL, and Bruvver's was a bit the worse for wear, but it's the thought that counts:

Cooper looked and looked, but didn't manage to find any eggs:

The kids made him feel better by feeding him bites all the way through dinner because they were full of chocolate bunnies and so weren't very hungry.

Dinner? Oh yeah, we did have dinner. Here is our very abbreviated table. The Diet Coke is mine, the red pop belongs to The Princess, the Heinz catsup is for Dave's ham and Mother had a glass of red wine, I think in self defense, LOL:

I made Ruthanna's parmesan crusted fish, I used cod. We also had a glazed ham, but I'm not wild about ham and I'm tired of it but the kids love it, so Dave and the kids ate ham and Mother, Amanda and I ate fish, and we were all happy:

Fish must have been a theme, because I had some smoked salmon left from the batch Elery smoked and I made smoked fish spread. It was good enough that my Mother simply announced "I'll be taking the rest of that home with me". (grin)

I had to make Dave a cheeseball with beef, green onions and cream cheese, he doesn't eat fish, so he got rabbit!

I roasted some fingerling potatoes using SharonCB parmesan potato recipe, to use up the rest of the parmesan. I got a picture before but not after, go figure. I really liked the three colored fingerlings:

I made sweet potatoes just because I love 'em, and I made a wonderful silky orange and butter sauce for them, recipe courtesy of Readinglady:

Woodie's layered salad, with our home smoked bacon on top:

sol's honey rolls:

Dessert was a flock of Peeps who had taken up nesting residence on a batch of buttermilk chocolate cupcakes with fudge frosting:

Dessert was Grandma's blueberry crisp along with homemade vanilla ice cream, which I did not get a picture of. I did get a picture of my very first batch of homemade tiramisu, which was so good I sent all the leftovers home with Amanda, I didn't dare keep it in the house:

Oh yeah, I'll made that again. What could be bad about a dessert that starts with cookies and espresso, has a filling that requires 6 egg yolks and ends with a topping made with a pint and a half of heavy cream!

I sent all the leftovers home with Amanda and Mother and finished up the last of the dishes, while Cooper had a well deserved rest. He'd spent all day hunting eggs and playing with the kids, now he knows how I feel after a day with Bruvver, LOL.

Happy Easter, I hope everyone had a holiday as good as mine.

Annie

Comments (30)

• lutus
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, looks funny. I like it and I love cooking.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

What an amazing spread and lovely kids, your family days are always a pleasure to view !!! you really got busy with the desserts, love the peeps perching on the cupcakes !!

• Related Discussions

Inside Easter Cabinets and Outside Easter Decorations

Q

Comments (10)
    Marlene the large bunnies on the buffet are a couple I picked up while out ys. I didn't have many before coming to Holidays. Now I don't pass them up! Karen, I knew you had something to do with Jas signing my book, "The Energizer Bunny". His book sits in our LR and I tell all what an amazing, inspiring guy he is! Love the part he wrote "Never Give UP" too. There is times that I to think I should open a store instead of donating so much.haha However, I would share with anyone who wants to come visit! Creek, decorating the outside was pretty easy. Alot of the eggs have wires so all I did was hang them up! So quick compared to tying the string ones. I'm thinkingif I go shopping after Easter, I will pick up more for next year. I know I have more out in the shed tho.LOL I will always Treasure my book "Burning Shield" signed by Jas. Nana, not a clue how many Bunnies I have! Looking forward to seeing your new one that hopped in this year! Always wonderful to know the decor brightens someones day. Did you see this Jelly Bean tree someone decorated? I Love It! So simple and just darling I think. Thanks so much ladies for all the Sweet comments. I've been so busy, I forgot I posted these and didn't respond. Good thing Nana was gone playing with Felicity and brought them back up. Now I'm behind but will catch up! Punk
    ...See More

For those with little ones…..Easter edition

Q

Comments (2)
    Love the tulips
    ...See More

Easter: Hat or No Hat?

Q

Comments (39)
    Nini yes, it was and I bought it on clearance (must have been left over from last summer?) along with the tiered dress from a company in Stone Mountain called Mudpie. I had previously bought their branded baskets and napkins and didn’t even realize they also sold clothing until I saw it in a local shop. The quality varies wildly and none of the clothing is truly well made, but the price def reflects that! If these dresses last one summer season I will have gotten good value from them. The pink one is a rayon linen blend and hangs very nicely. It’s a final sale but quite honestly at $35 if it doesn’t fit you can donate it with a happy heart — that was my intention, but I ordered both in size M and they both fit well. https://www.mudpie.com/product/85000174-nicolette-dress??filter=color:16472
    ...See More

Happy Easter to Our GW Friends!

Q

Comments (25)
    Thanks and happy easter again to all! I hope the bunny visited each of your houses and brought you lots of treats <3
    ...See More
  • pat_t
    14 years ago

Annie, as usual, thanks for sharing your family with us. I almost feel like I was there.

One question: Do you have any relatives in that nursing home? Just wondering.

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Annie, you always make every holiday very special!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pat, the girls' great-grandmother, Hazel, was there for about three years, until she passed away last spring. She was my ex-husband's grandmother, but I was married to him for 30 years, so I visited, the kids visited and they made a lot of friends there, so they had to go "help" them celebrate.

It's definitely a tradition in our family, one that I think we'll keep, even without family members there.

Lutus, my holidays are always kind of unique, LOL, welcome to the Cooking Forum!

Mitch, what is Easter without a Peep or two?

Thanks, Nancy, I try to keep the kids occupied after feeding them all that sugar. I wonder how they slept? (grin)

Annie

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Annie, you have such a nice family and I always enjoy reading "The Adventures of Bruvver and The Princess".

Twins named Autumn and Summer?? Ahem. Do they have a sib named Spring? I wonder why three seasons are used as names but Winter is not.

The trip to the nursing home was lovely and thoughtful.

Did you have enough food??

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

NCE! Annie! Thanks for sharing those wonderful & delicious pictures. I could almost taste some of them... felt like I was there! ;-)

We didn't do much for Easter. My in-laws didn't come so just the three of us. The entire Easter weekend was fish and more fish. Last night I made Italians: Calamari, marinara on pasta, & a bread basket. Little man managed to take part of the dough for my bread basket to make himself a bread bunny. And this is the best picture we have for Easter! LOL

Al

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dedtired, they didn't ask me before they named them, LOL, and their siblings are named Ricky, Christa and Phillip, who are all in their 20s. The twins just are spoiled freakin' rotten, with no manners and no discipline, the "babies" of the family. Mother first called them the Twin Terrors...

Al, I like the bunny, and I love calamari, yum.
    Annie

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

Working a 12 hour shift of Easter? Sounds like my bad habits. I went to shoot pool and drink beer. Dinner was a burger and fried... great greasy bar food that is so good after a couple three beers.

Thanks for sharing your holiday Annie! Cooper is a very handsome dog.... Dolly would instantly fall in love.

: )
    lyra

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

What fun Annie, can't believe how big the kids are getting. As an aside, is their still a wedding planned in the Fall for Amanda and David...or did I dream that?
    Which reminds me...how's it going for the May wedding!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Michael, I think that's what Ashley had for Easter dinner, a burger, fries and a beer! Cooper is growing to be a handsome boy, isn't it? A little fatter, because he's eating my cooking and Elery takes him to McDonald's for McDoubles for $1, LOL.

Yes, Sharon, there is the traditional "pig roast and a keg of beer" wedding planned for October, Amanda and I have been working on invitations and everyone is invited, of course!

My job is going to be baking the wedding cake and dessert table items, keeping everyone organized and watching the grandkids if Dave and Amanda decide to go somewhere for a short "honeymoon".

As for that May wedding reception, Elery just bought a freezer for his house, and I've finished 20 dozen appetizer quiches, 20 dozen more to go before I start on the habanero cheesecakes. I've done spinach and swiss and ham/cheddar/broccoli, now I'm leaning toward a crab/asparagus/parmesan choice.

I'm going to Elery's this weekend, we are either making meatballs or wontons. I'm lobbying for Gordon Food Service meatballs and making the wontons.

Annie

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Wow, great pix, Annie! It certainly looks like a good time! Thanks for sharing!

• adriennecooks
    14 years ago

Hi, I've enjoyed viewing the pictures and recipes posted on this site, I've never posted here but wanted to come out from looking/reading at this forum and finally say hello to all.

Hope it isn't too late to join in.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

adrienne, it's never too late to join, just jump right in!

Welcome to the Cooking Forum, where we discuss everything, PLUS cooking, LOL.

Annie

• adriennecooks
    14 years ago

Annie, Thank you for the welcome here. I can definitely feel pretty comfortable discussing (everything) including cooking and will jump right in. Nice to meet you.

• triciae
    14 years ago

Annie, I enjoy your family get-to-gether pictures. They make me wish I had a large extended family. Even with minor chaos it looks like fun! The g-kids are sure growing. Is the Princess in school this year, or next?

/tricia

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tricia, the Princess is in first grade, Bruvver will start kindergarten in the fall.

That sure happened fast.

Oh, and there is always at least minor chaos at our family get togethers, somehow. LOL

Annie

• trixietx
    14 years ago

Annie, I always enjoy your pictures. Your posts make me feel like I was almost there with you! LOL

• stacy3
    14 years ago

annie, I love your pics but your commentary just makes it all worth reading....:-) FUN!

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Great pics Annie! Very nice of y'all to go to the nursing home too. I'm still laughing about your comment about Amanda and the balloon.

All that plus you had time to work on all of those mini appetizers too.

I just hope the DJ survives the wedding...LOL!

David

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

David, we're still taking applications for someone to pee on the DJ, are you interested? (grin)

Hey, I fixed fence on Friday and did most of the baking on Saturday, so cooking Easter dinner was a piece of cake...er.....cupcake!

Annie

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

Late to the party but it looks like it was a wonderful time as always! Princess and Bruvver are darling. The twins look like a handful and a half for sure.

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

Annie, every one looks so good and the food looks fantastic. Kids are getting big and Cooper is flourishing with you. I knew he would stay. Mickey D's? Bad Elery!

We were 26 for dinner but all I did was a cheesecake and the strawberry almond cream tart for dessert and a deviled egg spread appitizer.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Peppi, Ashley still claims that she plans to get an apartment or house when she graduates and gets a job, and that she'll be taking Cooper to live with her at that point.

Of course, by that time she'll have learned to cook so he won't starve, LOL.

Annie

• compumom
    14 years ago

It all looks like so much fun, but I have no idea how you do it all! It's sweet that you visit the "home". The old folks love seeing the little ones and your two are super cute!

• craftyrn
    14 years ago

Looks like a fine time was had by all, Annie. Thx for sharing.

This was the first Holiday in ages that we didn't have a family gathering-- half the group was down with various viruses, flu etc so Doc & I spent the day doing yard work after planting the new tree-- my Easter gift from Hubby was a Weeping Cherry.

• sissyz
    14 years ago

Annie,
    Thank you for sharing your Easter with us. I wonder, those dishes you named and showed us photos of-are the recipes on this site?
    I was specifically wondering about the rolls? I am looking for a good roll recipe and yours looks amazing!
    Thanks again,
    Sissy

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sissy, any of the recipes that I mentioned came from someone specific are posted here somewhere. I have to tell you, though, that the search is impossible. It's easier to just ask for specific recipes and most of us don't mind posting them again.

So, here is the recipe for Sol's honey rolls, they are sweet and light and yeasty and the grandkids eat them without anything on them at all, not even butter. Yes, they are that good.

Honey Rolls
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup butter [1 stick]
    2 teaspoos salt
    1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar*
    2 pkges. dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water [110º-115ºF]
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    6 - 6 1/2 cups AP flour

Heat the milk, add butter and salt. Set aside while butter melts. Stir in the honey.
    In another bowl, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Let it sit until yeast is completely dissolved, about 6-7 minutes.

Combine milk mixture with yeast mixture. And stir in the beaten eggs. Beat in 4 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft, but not sticky dough.

Place dough in greased bowl, turning to coat both sides. Cover and allow dough to rise 1 hour. Punch dough down, and allow to rise another hour.

Punch down again, and shape dough into rolls. Let it rise again 45 minutes to an hour or until doubled in volume. Preheat your oven to 375ºF and bake rolls for 25 minutes or until a deep golden brown. For a very soft crust, brush rolls with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven.

Note: You could omit the sugar from this recipe altogether. I sometimes use about a teaspoon of the honey called for in the recipe to feed the yeast instead of the sugar.

I also have to admit that I don't follow the directions exactly, I put all the wet stuff into my bread machine, add the dry stuff and let it finish on the "dough" setting. Then I roll it out, cut it into rolls and let rise, then bake.

I've done it both ways and they both turn out about the same, so choose your technique, they both work!

Annie

• sissyz
    14 years ago

Thank you so much! I have tried the search many times but never get what i"m looking for!
    I must admit I'm new at yeast dough. I've never used a recipe that calls for eggs!
    Wish me luck!

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Hi Annie:
    A little late, been busy getting ready for Monday 4/12.

Had a nice Easter. Only 8 for Dinner this year.
    I brought a Smoked Ham down to my Daughters .
    Made a Rigotta Easter Cheese Cake.

They put me in charge of the Ham , Pineapple Sauce and the Candied Sweet Potatoes.
    - - - - - - - - - - - -

We had the Annual Easter Egg Hunt, with the two- 24 and 25 year old Kiddies.
    The tradition has been ongoing for 22 years.

My youngest Daughter; Ginny, is in the center.
    Jason; on the right, was just discharged from the Submarine Service.
    Dana, my Grand Daughter; on the left, is expecting next week.
    She was mad, because she can't bend down too easily.

We hid about 50 eggs . All had money in them.
    That's my oldest Daughter, in the back.

Dana was the winner!!! Jason conceded.

Dana's saying:
    " Hey Pop ! I got the Kilroy egg, you owe me 20 Bucks "

We had a very nice Easter, Hope everyone else did too.

LOU

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH