SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schmidt_gw

New FL coming tomorrow! Got some questions...

Schmidt
17 years ago

After reading this forum off and on for some time, I finally decided to get a FL washer and dryer set. I got the Bosch 500 series from Lowe's, and I'm really excited (I feel like a geek saying that, but it's true!)

Anyway, I want to impress upon my wife that this was a wise purchase, so I want out first few loads to come out as perfect as possible. I went to Wild Oats and bought some Bi-O-Kleen (both the detergent and the stain/odor remover), and then to Sears for some of their Ultra HE detergent with Oxi-Clean, based on frequent recommendations I read here. So I'm ready for my machines tomorrow!

However, I've got a few questions, even after reading a lot of your helpful comments. (I apologize if I'm just inept with the search feature here, and should have found these on my own. I also apologize for the incredible ignorance that I am shamelessly displaying here...)

1) I found out I have ridiculously hard water here in KY (161 mg/L of CaCO3), along with a pH of 8.2. I understand vinegar will help me. Should I add this along with the detergent, or should I put it in the bleach dispenser?

2) My laundry room is on the 2nd floor, so I'm worried about vibration. I bought the pedestals to go with. Will there be a difference in how I level the units since the washer and dryer won't make direct contact with the floor?

3) When do I use permanent press? I've been looking at the tags on my clothes, and I'm just not seeing any mention of it.

4) When is it okay to use hot water? Like I said, I've been looking at the tags on a lot of stuff the last couple of days as I await my delivery. All of our tags on clothes and linens say either "machine wash warm" or "machine wash cold" (or hand wash, but that one even I can get! ;-)) Does this mean these are upper limits for the wash water temp (warm or cold)? Or is there something about the FL's and these fancy detergents that allows me to use hotter water? Or is use of hot water just a calculated risk we take when we want to remove bad stains? The profile wash seems like a really cool feature, but now I'm afraid to use it!

5) I've seen a lot of comments here that advocate against the use of fabric softener (liquid or dryer sheets.) So what do you do this time of year to avoid bad static problems?

Again, I apologize for how mind-numbingly dumb some (all?) of these questions are. But I figure this is the best place to ask. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Schmidt

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!