SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

Tips/Advice for Newbie Breadmaker (machine) user?

loralee_2007
16 years ago

Hi all,

I cook and cook ALOT, but I do not bake. Never had any success because "precision" measuring I just couldn't get the hang of I guess because nothing I have ever baked has ever turned out. That has never bothered me & DH because we don't generally eats sweets or anything except on birthdays.

One thing I have always missed though is fresh baked bread. Gosh, the memories of climbing off the bus from school and mom having fresh bread waiting for us....

I work full time and go to class at nights so making bread by hand is just not possible. But I just bought a Cuisinart breadmaker and am very eager for my first fresh loaf of bread in 13 years! But I have questions and of course reservations:

- any tips you can give me to avoid "common" mistakes?

- is it possible to make Rye bread? None of the recipes in the book were for rye bread. Is it a simple matter of substituting rye flour in equal amounts?

- Can I use AP flour or does it have to be "bread" flour? I'm quite certain my mom used AP flour, but then she made bread by hand so I'm not sure if a breadmaker "requires" the bread flour indicated in the recipe book.

- How do you make bread, such as multi-grain, where the grains are on the crust of the bread?

I'm aiming to make my first loaf this weekend, please wish me luck! Any tips you have for a non-baking newbie would be so greatly appreciated!!

Lora

Comments (6)