SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
razl62_gw

Need a new washer/dryer VERY soon r/o

razl62
15 years ago

I purchased a F&P Intuitive Washer and a Top loading dryer about 4 years ago. At first everything went fine and as of now I have had to replace the lint screen twice because it has ripped along the sides and the sensor area fills up with lint(and I need to remove the bucket and unscrew that part and clean out the lint often)- oh, and the temperature only works on "regular now - the others don't heat at all. Of course this all happened when it was out of warranty. Just this week I noticed that two of the "fins" in the washer are split and one broke off today. One is now repaired with duct tape and the other one is off but covered with duct tape so it won't damage any more clothes.

Needless to say, I now need to make a purchase quickly. My husband says we are putting no more $$ into those money pits, and I agree.

So now I am debating whether to go back to GE profile top loader and regular dryer or with the newer GE front loader (not the really new one, the one with the round window) or perhaps the Maytag Bravo. No matter what I purchase I am getting the extended warranty this time around (knowing that anything isn't as reliable these days).

I do a LOT of towels because I volunteer with an animal rescue group, so I am always doing laundry - at least two loads a day), so I need something that will hold up to heavier loads.

Do you have any suggestions? I have done some searching through the threads and the various ratings on consumer reports, sears, etc. and every time I think I find the "right" pair, there is some type of comment that makes me re-think it. I'm a bit hesitant re: the front loader because of the whole "mold" and smell issues and then I hear from someone else that I should NOT buy a maytag no matter what. I wish 4 years ago I had just kept my 16+ year old GE set....sigh.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Comments (5)