SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawk307

Good Baking, Cooking Tips,learned,contd.

hawk307
16 years ago

I was asked to start a new Post after 150 Messages.

Someone Posted at 151 ? It did not show.

You can enter it now in this New Continued Post.

And continue, where 150, left off.

LOU

Comments (55)

• sheesh
    16 years ago

I get out all the spices, too, Lou, but since I am ridiculously absent minded, I also recap them as I use them and turn them upside down so I know for sure (well, pretty sure, anyway) which ones I just used. Salt I keep in a covered bowl, so I'm very careful with that.

Sherry

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

I remembered another!

When you broil/roast meats in the oven, put the meat on a rack over a pan and put about a half inch of water in the pan. It makes the pan much easier to clean, and if you are going to use the drippings for gravy or a sauce, they're right there in the water...no deglazing necessary.

• Related Discussions

Rainy day baking and cooking... What are you cooking today?

Q

Comments (24)
    Although it seems like a forgiving dough - I can taste that I cheated on the overnight ferment. Sorry your casserole dishes aren't big enough. I bake in a toaster oven so when my bread rises it burns on top. Another reason P a L'A is good - it spreads out more than up. I brush the bread with some slightly salty water right before it goes in the oven. But I lose that lovely floury rustic surface. Do you have a pizza stone? That helped me get a better crust back when I last had an oven - now I use it in my grill to make pitas. Also I read somewhere or another about using a SS restaurant dish lid as a cloche though I've never seen one large enough. I am currently jealously watching a neighbor build a stone wood-fired bread oven by his pond - the ultimate bread oven. He says he will advise me when I am ready to build one - and I definitely do not lack for rocks. However right now my 'yard' is festooned with logs, brush and firewood piles. Hopefully in the near future the logs will become a woodshed and I can move the firewood inside. Then maybe a bread oven - which will entail moving rocks. I'm tired just thinking about it all. Making some tea and toast and taking a nap.
    ...See More

I've been cooking and baking with beer.

Q

Comments (15)
    I like beer by itself :-), but also use it to make beer bread and in chili and a French Dip sandwich recipe. Beer is good for you! From the link below: Over the years, scientists have uncovered a number of health benefits in beer. The beverage contains folate, for example, which helps prevent cancer and reduces the risk of birth defects. Beer can also limit kidney stones and gallstones. And it can lower the risk of late-onset diabetes. "The list," Bamforth said, "goes on and on." Scientists have long known that beer also contains silicon, which strengthens bones in animal studies and has been linked with higher bone-mineral density in people. Cheers!!! Here is a link that might be useful: Discovery.com: Beer and healthy bones
    ...See More

Pros and cons of stoneware baking and cooking?

Q

Comments (21)
    It's true that there is some insulation effect, but there also is, if not as much, with glass and pyroceram. Corningware is supposedly made of the stuff they created to cover space ship nose cones and protect them from the heat of friction with the atmosphere, or something like that. Steel is a conductor, but a relatively poor one. There shouldn't be more than a 10 minute, at the outside, difference in cook times for a lasagna in any of them, and likely less to none. Checking the oven is a great idea. Though...since stoneware works fine for bread and smaller things, it's potentially a preheating problem. Pink, how long do you preheat your oven for? It's well known that when the air at the sensor is at the correct temperature for the pre-heat signal to go off, the entirety of the oven, the walls, etc., often isn't completely hot. This is true with convection ovens as well, though not as dramatically since the convection speeds the heating time. I can see how with the mass of a big lasagna and the insulating effect that Ci_lantro pointed out, the stoneware might take relatively longer in an oven that had just barely come to heat. If you wanted to give it one last try, heat the oven for at least an hour, and set the stoneware dish by a sunny window in the morning, or put it somewhere else warm to come up to at least room temperature before building the lasagna, it might make a difference.
    ...See More

What is Cooking or Baking Lately?

Q

Comments (216)
    As soon as I get off this computer, I plan to put the ingredients for Edie's Bread into the bread machine and will let it make the dough. I need bread for tomorrow and do like to let it cool overnight. Having mostly leftover potatoes/onions/carrots left from the roast chicken (chicken in gone). Will do a hamburger patty in the air fryer and maybe a salad - haven't decided yet. You know I have been self-isolating so long that this week I had to think about what day of the week each day was. I sure hope and pray this we will be safe to go out and do things in the future. I don't want my brain to deteriorate. Have been doing crossword puzzles, sudoko, and other type of brain stimulation, but that gets old, too. Enough. Got to get in the kitchen.
    ...See More
  • hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips,

Nina: not to worry about laughing . We all did when he was explaining about the Bees.
    And got another swarm chasing him. It bee's like that.

Trudy good idea ! and I just threw one away ???

Sherry:
    I'm the same. I'll think of something I need in another room, walk in the room,
    stop to pick up something off the floor and go to where I was to get " WHAT ".
    What the hell did I come in here for??? Go back and start over to remember " WHAT "

See that, don't get old !!! you forget things !! What were we talking about !!!!!!!!!

Oh! The Spices. That's why I move them to another part of the worktop as I use them.

Jessy:
    That was Diverticulites giving me problems yesterday.

I just got back from the VA Hospital a little while ago.
    They gave me some Pills and Antibiotics.
    Eased up a lot.

Have to go now. Be back with a Fly Trap diagram.

LOU

• Virginia7074
    16 years ago

I have always thought that the tall spindles that hold CD's and DVD's would make excellent doughnut-keepers. You could stack 2 doughnuts - maybe even 3 - on one, twist the top back on and bam! Your doughnuts stay fresh when you need them to stay fresh.

Of course, the plastic probably leaches BPA ...

OK, it's a little bit lame, but it's the only new tip I have for right now.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Virginia:
    At first, I didn't know you were talking about the Plastic CD case. Then I remembered !
    I said , Well I don't have any. And here is one sitting on the shelf looking at me.
    Good One !!!

Here is the Green Head Fly Trap sketch I made.

The Box can be as small as 12 X 12 X 14 high. It can be mounted on a Tree or Fence.

It has to be at least 2 feet off the ground. They cruise along the ground looking for Prey.

The flat black painted Box and the Ball attracts them and they fly up into the box.
    Then up thru the funnel into the plastic container.

A clear plastic funnel can be used on top, instead of the screen funnel.

I don't know if this will work for Bees.
    You can try putting some bait on the bottom of the funnel.

That's my tip for this Morning.
    Lou

{{gwi:1516659}}

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hate to keep putting Threads in here. Someone will think I'm trying to to Bump it.

Peeling Potatoes:
    Here is a tip for those who have a problem with your hands, or even if you don't.

Stick a Fork in one end and set the Potatoe down on a cutting board.
    Run the peeler down fast as you can, at 200 miles an hour instead of 25 MPH.
    Then pull the fork out and stick it in the peeled side and continue peeling.
    And you won't have to worry about slicing your fingers.
    Bye for now, LOU

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tip for the day:

Pizzelles and Biscotti

I usually make about 45 Pizzelles at one time.

If I want to make some of both, I do about 15 Pizzelles.
    Then add enough flour to make a small ball of soft dough.
    Roll it out into a log, flatten slighty and bake till light gold color.

Makes a nice pile of Biscotti Dunkers.

If you need a Pizzelle Recipe. I can put it in here.
    LOU

• kandm
    16 years ago

The best way I have ever seen to peel a kiwi:

Cut both ends, insert a spoon, and turn it around the fruit. The spoon easily slides under the peel and keeps the fruit whole.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

You make lemon twists for cocktails in a similar way.

Cut the ends off a lemon...a big enough cut to make a barrel shape out of the natural oval.

Insert a metal skewer or ice pick in between the lemon rind and the lemon, right into the pith, and turn the lemon, pushing and sawing the skewer or pick with the intention of separating the whole lemon fruit from it's peel.

Repeat on the other end, until the whole lemon fruit is loose in the peel, and then push the fruit of the lemon out.

Cut the peel in one spot from one end to the other, and use spoon to scrape out any excess pith or bits of fruit that you accidentally left behind.

Then slice the peel from one end of the cut to the other, in long, 1/8 inch strips. These are tied into knots and dropped into cocktails requiring a "twist".

If those directions aren't clear, I will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do so.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Ladies:

Kandm:
    I never had to peel a Kiwi but it sounds good to me. Hope it will help someone.

Rachel:
    You talked me into it.I'm gonna get a drink.
    Thanks Lou

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tip for the day:

Someone asked," why do you rinse the dishes,before putting them in the dishwasher?"
    The dishwasher will clean them !!!

Answer!!!
    If only 1 or 2 people live here, the dishes may sit in there for a week.
    I don't want the dishwasher smelling like a Garbage can.

I may run it thru a quick Rinse Cycle; also, after 2 days, to Rinse them again, Before washing.

Lou

• kandm
    16 years ago

I use peeled kiwi when I make fruit tarts. If you want to go overboard you can cut slices then use a small star shaped cookie cutter on em.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

A tip I wish I had known about years ago:

Spoon dollops of tomato paste on a plastic lined small baking sheet. Freeze until solid. Transfer frozen tomato paste dollops to a rigid freezer container, label and date. Now you have paste ready to add to sauces, soups, and recipes calling for 1 TB tomato paste, and no more wasted opened, half used cans of paste going bad in the fridge.

This one I learned as a young bride:

When you juice a lemon, orange, or lime, toss the fruit half into a plastic bag and freeze. Then when a recipe calls for grated citrus zest, you just grate the zest from the frozen fruit half.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Everytime I think the Post is Fini, someone else comes in with a good one.

Kandm:
    You were holding out on us !
    I'll have to try the Kiwi spoon thing on a hard boiled egg, somehow. Maybe not a good idea ?

Teresa:
    Well!!! Bless Your Heart girl , I knew you had another good one stashed away.
    I did that with Tomato Sauce in small plastic bags. Now I have a new way to do it.

And the Orange zest. I use it in my Cheese Cake

I thought you were still a Young Bride !!! Did I make any Points ?

Hope somebody is reading these tips !
    Lou

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Say,that tomato paste on is a good one. I usually spoon leftover tomato paste into a zip lock bag, push out the air and pat the paste into a thin sheet so I can break pieces off...but then I have to smash them into a spoon if I want to measure it...premeasured would be easier for sure.

However, the zip lock trick also works for grated ginger, pesto and grated horseradish, items that I use often but don't generally measure. Usually, I have fresh ginger around, but one can't always buy horseradish root here, and the pesto keeps better in the freezer.

During citrus season, everyone around here has too many lemons, so I juice a lot and freeze the juice in ice cube trays, putting the cubes in a bag, but I never thought to freeze the peels,though I do dehydrate some, that's a good idea too!

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

I freeze tomato paste in the can. Take top and bottom off, push the bottom up and cut off the amount needed, put the top back on and place in freezer bag. When needed, hold can in your hand for a few seconds and push out what you need. Place back in freezer. Tomato paste cans are one of the few canned items left, where the bottom can be removed with an opener.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shirley :
    Another good Tomato Paste tip.

Teresa:
    I'm going to use the Tablespoon and freeze method for some Spaghetti Sauce, when I make it.
    Because, I always use a little Sauce added to Soups , etc.
    Lou

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Shirley - I always open the top and bottom off the tomato paste to push it out cleanly, but never thought to freeze it that way. Hmmm. Gonna have to try it.

Speaking of cans that can be opened on both sides: Unlike tuna cans, the short, stout cans of water chestnuts and similar products in the Goya section still can be opened from both sides. I've got a couple saved to use as pastry rings.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Transpoting hot food and keeping it hot.

Here is my tip for the day!!!

If you want to take hot food to someone and don't have a container to transport,

Use a clean cardboard box that you're oven baking stone,
    will fit into.
    Heat the Stone a little, put it in the box and put the food on top.
    Cover with a towel or newspaper, close the box. It will stay hot for a long while.
    Lou, Said that !!!

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

When pounding chicken breasts - put chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap sprinkled with water on the sides facing the chicken, this will keep the chicken from sticking to the plastic wrap. Finally, I had a tip to share - hope it wasn't already suggested - lots to read - little time to read.
    I also remove the top & bottom lids of jellied cranberry sauce & slice - pushing thru from the bottom to get even slices.
    Fun thread - this is a great group!

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Here's a couple of "non-traditional" uses for canning jar rings:
    Emergency trivets: slide a few together to fit under your hot pot
    Pastry or egg rings
    Use as a lid on bug jar (place some cheesecloth, netting or fabric over the jar and screw on the ring to hold it.
    To store them, bend a wire hanger into a round ring and make a hook out of the "straight" end. Slide rings onto your new "wreath" and fasten the hook. Hang wherever!
    *** I'm going to try using them for english muffin rings (concept stage!)

Deanna

• triciae
    16 years ago

If you don't have a thermometer & want to fry something...put the handle end of a wooden spoon into the oil. If little bubbles appear around the spoon handle...the oil's hot enough. (Rachael Ray) It was a neat demo. I didn't know that would work & I still don't know why?

/tricia

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just popped in for a minute.
    Thanks for the tips. Yau'll
    LOU

• kandm
    16 years ago

I use baby food jars to poach eggs. Add a bit of butter, some salt, pepper and thyme, yum! Sometimes I disgust those around me by dumping this cooked concoction onto ripped pieces of buttered wheat toast. :)

Also, scope is great for getting the smell of garlic off your hands. Quicker than running water and stainless steel.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kandm:
    I don't know why that would disgust anyone, sounds good to me. I eat eggs anyway at all.

I'm still recouping from a bout of diviticulites. Didn't think of a tip for the day, yet.
    Later , LOU

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tip for the day - - night.
    If you have to take a thin slice off something , like a steak, etc.
    Try using a Plastic Spatula to hold it , instead of your hand.
    Meat is easier to slice if it is semi - frozen.
    Lou

• minsue67
    16 years ago

Here's one that will make you look dorky but it works..

Have a slice of bread or a spoon in your mouth when you chop onions and you won't cry.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Minisue:
    Do you think I should try this, when some is present ? lol
    Lou

• minsue67
    15 years ago

Hey, we did it as a group when we needed to make piles of potatoe salad for a community dinner. There's no shame at all especially when someone starts to drool cuz there's something hanging in there mouth for so long.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Minsue:
    I could picture that. Especially if someone walked in and saw a bunch of people,
    chopping Onions with a piece of Bread or a spoon in their mouth.
    I would do an about face. LOL
    That's on the " will try " list.

You better not put "APRIL FOOL"; in there, if it don't work.

Because, I'll get you !!!

Don't have a tip right now, maybe later.
    LOU

• mandogirl
    15 years ago

Tomato sauce tip:
    I like to "layer" seasonings when I make tomato sauce or any sauce, really. Whenever you're making a recipe that requires sauteing onions in butter or oil first, add some of whatever seasonings you'll be using later to the onion/butter mixture as the onions are sauteing. The smell will be heavenly. Then after you add your crushed tomatoes or puree, add more seasonings, including salt & pepper. This layering technique gives your sauce a fuller flavor.

My other tip might be obvious, but here goes:
    If you make something in any kind of butter or cream sauce and you have sauce left over, the next night dump a can of crab meat into the extra sauce and reheat on the stove. Serve over pasta. You won't be disappointed, and the sauce won't go to waste!
    For example, I made a chicken recipe that had a sauce made with butter, italian dressing mix, condensed golden mushroom soup, cream cheese, and white wine. There was way too much sauce to eat in one night. Crab in it the next night was lovely. There were no calories in this, by the way ;-)
    - mando

• hawk307
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mando:
    Whooee! That sounds good !!! I try things like that all the time.And I'm not obvious.

Thank's for the tips.
    Anybody have a Tip for my ailing stomach ?????

I have a Quickey, for chopping a lot of Onions.
    If you are using a Chefs knife to chop Onions and the pieces are flying off the worktop,
    Try tilting the blade slightly,
    or put the cutting board on a piece of plastic wrap and place something under each end,
    Like a cereal box, to stop the pieces from flying.

LOU

• hawk307
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tip for the day:
    When Roasting a large Turkey with Stuffing, I make a Butchers String Cradle,
    to lift it out Safely, from the Roasting Pan.

LOU

• mandogirl
    15 years ago

That is one fantastic idea, Lou. Even with smaller chickens I worry I'm gonna drop the dang thing and splat muck about the kitchen and on myself. Never ever would have thought of doing this.
    It would probably take me as long to make the cradle as it does to wash & prep the bird. Crafty I am not. But the security seems worth the time & effort.

• fenworth
    15 years ago

Tip of the Day: Don't make Lou's cradle if you don't know how to tie a knot that won't slip! LOL

(I like the cradle, too.)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

mando? too much sauce?! I don't think so. I usually double recipes. That'll work for someone else. :)

Tip: If you have trouble picking up random items at the grocery store, splurge on a special treat and eat before you go. It'll cost less than the extra items!!!

• hawk307
    Original Author
    15 years ago

James: Thanks I should have mentioned that.

Mando:
    It is easy, to make the Cradle. Lay the 2 long strings out to size.
    Lay the 3 strings across. Leave extra string !
    Start with the middle string, wrap it around the long one and tie a knot.
    Then take the long one and tie a knot around the knot, you just made .
    Now do the other side the same way. Now, do the two other strings.
    Work your way out. Tie the ends of the long strings together.
    You have made a Cradle.
    Make a few different sizes and put them away for later.

I usually have a little water in the Roasting Pan anyway, so the string never burns.

Use Cotton String. I hope you can under stand all this.
    Thanks Again,
    LOU

• denise8101214
    15 years ago

Lou,

I would like your pizzelle recipe and any pizzelle tips that you would like to share!

Hope you are starting to feel better.

Denise

• hawk307
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Denise: Here is the Pizzelle Recipe.

You can use this to make Biscotti ( dunkers ).
    Just add more flour , to make a soft Dough. Roll into a Log, if dough has cracks,
    push the ends together , to shorten and roll again. Do this until the cracks dissappear.

Good , Light, Crispy, Delicious, Mouth Watering, To kill for,
    Lou's Pizzelles
    3-X large eggs
    1/2 cup (1 stick )of melted butter ( not hot )
    2 tablespoons of oil
    1 cup of Sugar + 3 Tablespoons
    6 Teasps of Anise Extract or 1 1/4 Teasp.Anise Oil
    1 3/4 cups of flour. Add more if needed.
    4 level, teaspoons of Baking Powder

Mix well, All the ingredients, except the Flour & Baking powder
    Then add them and mix well. If you think the dough is
    too soft add a little more flour.
    I add until the batter peaks , while mixing , then add more
    And mix with a Tablespn, to make a soft dough.
    I use a Mellon Scoop to measure the dough. Like an ice cream scoop with a trigger release
    I, always brush the Pizzelle iron lightly with Pam when hot,
    before starting to cook them, and take them out; carefully, with a wooden Spatula

When baking the Pizzelles pile them far away from
    where you are baking.
    Because they are soooo Gooood you will be eating them as you go.

This will make about 40 Pizzelles, unless didn't listen and piled
    them too close. Then you will have about 3 left and gained 2 lb.
    Save one for me.

Place on an oiled Cookie tin, flatten (Biscotti Shaped)and bake at 325 for 20 to 30 minutes,
    Or a light gold color, whichever comes first.

Lately, I've been making about 15 Pizzelles, then add more flour, to make some Biscotti.

Have fun. Let us know how they turned out. Questions ask.
    Lou

• pecanpie
    15 years ago

When I'm doubling/tripling recipes and counting out cups of flour, for instance, I set out the same number of raisins as cups of flour I need. As I dump in a cup of flour, I eat a raisin. If the phone rings or I need to run someone to the ER (not so often anymore), I'll know where I left off.

This is one of those tricks we ADD folks use.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pecanpie:
    You have to make sure no one is around to eat the Raisens,

or else you will be in deep trouble !!! LOL
    Lou

• pecanpie
    15 years ago

Ah, Lou, they're rarely around for the cooking anymore-- always for the eating, though!

• hawk307
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tip for the day:
    Here is a Fly Trap you can make with a 2 liter soda bottle.

Cut the top off, at the straight part, not on the curve.
    Invert the top into the bottom of the bottle.
    Turn it over onto the 2 sticks and Bait it under the opening.
    LOU

• denise8101214
    15 years ago

Thank you Lou, especially for the calorie saving tips.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Denise:
    Your Welcome!

You will have to Wing it with the amount of flour,if the dough is too thick ,
    they will be harder.If too thin they might stick?

Here is a photo of the flytrap. The Sketch might be better.

Lou

TOP CUT OFF, BELOW THE CURVE

{{gwi:1516662}}

TOP PIECE PUT INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE.
    THEN INVERTED ONTO THE STICKS.

{{gwi:1516663}}

• hawk307
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tip for the day:

When making Spaghetti Sauce, if I'm blending Whole Tomatoes,for the Sauce.

At the same time !!!

I'll do the Tomatoe Paste with a little water, to loosen it a little,because it is so thick.

Rather that adding right into the sauce pot.
    It will mix easier.

LOU

• denise8101214
    15 years ago

Wow, these are not my tips, but they are fascinating. I could (did) watch these all morning.

The Chow Tips are short (30 seconds) and sweet. How to peel ginger with a spoon, How to kill fruit flies, and on and on and on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chowhound Video Tips

• hawk307
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Denise:
    Thanks for your input. I glanced thru it but I'll need a lot of time to check it all out.
    LOU

• hawk307
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone: I think the " Good Baking , Cooking Tips " has gone Tipsy.
    Looks like there are not too many more tips left.

There were many Good Tips from ya'll.
    I hope most of them are remembered.

The total was 203 Messages, including the 150 that dropped off.
    Thanks again to all !!!
    LOU

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

It is funny to look up fly traps and end up on a cooking forum. Interesting conversation and interesting place. Here is my tip.

I keep a small pot of simmering water going for sterilizing utensils if they are going to touch both raw and cooked meat. Think batches of chicken cutlets. No germy spoon rest just clean your tongs between flips.