SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Improving soup broth

rivkadr
14 years ago

I've recently discovered cooking (after years of take out and microwave meals), and I've learned that I really enjoy making soup. It's easy to make, relatively cheap, and best of all -- usually lasts for at least a few days. I don't love cooking enough to want to do it every day, LOL ;)

I prefer to use canned (chicken) broth, because I frankly don't have the time or the inclination to make my own. The problem I'm finding though is that often the broth is kind of weak or tasteless in soups, and the soup recipes themselves don't address that issue, perhaps because they're assuming you're using homemade broth. It's a bit like eating vegetables in water with a hint of chicken. I've tried several different brands of broth, and haven't found one yet that is very exciting. I'm sticking to the low-sodium broth, which may be my issue perhaps?

How come canned soup is thicker and tastier (broth-wise) than my home made soup? Is there something I can do to jazz up the broth before using it in my soups? Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (20)