SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrmichaeljmoore

Tips on how to clean moldy F&P washer (PICS attached)

mrmichaeljmoore
14 years ago

Well, with assistance from the always helpful Dadoes, I took apart my musty smelling F&P GWL11 washer tonight.....

WOW. Wow. Wow.....and gross.

Well, I found the cause of the musty smelling clothes (especially towels).

Now, I really have to clean this thing.

I figured to clean the the washing tub, I will bring it into the bath tub and wash it with a solution of Dawn and bleach and hot water....and scrub the heck out of it....sound good for that?

But what is the best way to clean the inside of the washer? Am I gonna have to Shop Vac out the water as I clean it? Or is there a way to use the drain function of the washer to suck out the water as I clean it?

Or should I drag the thing out side tomorrow and wash it with a hose and Dawn/bleach solution?

Any tips on getting this thing back to tip top shape would be great.

A few things about our washing habits:

1. This washer is about 4 years old.

2. Our water is well water. I have a sediment filter and carbon filter and water softener on the system. Water quality should be good.

3. We DO NOT use softener.

4. We wash primarily in cold water. Occasionally we wash in warm or hot.

5. We use liquid detergent

To be honest, I am disappointed with this situation. We wash our clothes in cold because it is the "green" thing to do they say (even though I am not a green fanatic, I try to do my part). We are not heavy users; just me, my wife, and my toddler daughter. Shouldn't the machine drain itself to prevent this mold buildup? Is this a design flaw or are other top-loading machines susceptible to this situation?

Thanks for the help....

mm

Here are the pics:

Comments (20)