SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

do you make powdered sugar in the blender?

vacuumfreak
13 years ago

I just ruined my heretofore beloved Breville Ikon Hemisphere blender on some powdered sugar and I was wondering if any of you use a blender for powdered sugar or if a food processor is the preferred method? My food processor will not get the powdered sugar fine enough, so I figured the blender would be up to the task. I was making frosting for cupcakes that I'm taking a friend's 80 year old aunt who just broke her arm.... I put in a cup of sugar, and a tablespoon of cornstarch and turned it on the highest speed. It ran for a minute and then turned itself off (it only runs for a minute at a time). I waited about five minutes to let it cool down and then ran it again to get the sugar a little finer, it was still too grainy. To my horror, I heard screeching and stopped the machine immediately. When I looked inside, I discovered the blender had ground plastic into the jar... the blade assembly was ruined. I called Breville and they told me that I should not have been doing dry ingredients in it so it was my fault and they would be happy to sell me another blade assembly. My problem with that is that the manual does not forbid making of powdered sugar and give specific directions for use when doing dry ingredients or spices... which I followed by the way. I've had it for just under or just over a year now and I did not expect to be replacing it so soon... it was 150 dollars. I could buy a new blade assembly, but if it's just going to break again in another year, there is really no point.

So, I bought a Kitchen Aid at Lowes.... sleek and black. It doesn't have the auto smoothie feature like the Breville did and doesn't have a glass jar.... BUT one thing I like already is that it doesn't have a multi-part blade assembly that has to be disassembled and an annoying gasket to clean.... I love that! I don't know if it will run for more than a minute at a time or not (a feature that always annoyed me about the Breville), but I will have fun exploring..... it's not quite as pretty as the Breville since there is no stainless steel on it, but it is actually heavier. I'm sure it's louder too.

So anyway, my question is, what appliance do you use to do powdered sugar? I don't want to risk ruining the new blender, I don't want to keep buying them every year! Maybe I could get a coffee grinder just for sugar?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES