SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
two25acres

For those of you dealing with dimentia/alzheimers friends/family.

two25acres
12 years ago

My mom's husband has vascular dimentia. It has progressed rapidly within the last 6 months and I am trying to help her find things to occupy him. He is bored and as a result he wanders, he hoards food and eats it when he shouldn't ( he's diabetic and his sugar levels are all over the place). He sleeps allot during the day which makes it dangerous for her at night as he got out of the house and was missing for 10 hours recently. We have alarms on the doors now but it still concerns us how much he gets up during the night. Mom is 75 and has her own physical limits but she understands his need to be stimulated. He used to read a great deal, history was his favorite but she has found that he doesn't seem to enjoy it as much anymore. It's winter in Wisconsin so going outside often isn't really an option. Not to mention that it's allot of work for mom to take him anywhere as he wanders and she can't keep up with him. Can anyone make any suggestions as to things to keep him occupied. I've suggested games, tic tac toe, checkers etc. and even thought about flash cards with his favorite sports teams, bible stories etc. I think we'll look to buy or make something for that. He doesn't have any hobbies. We are checking into day care and other social service programs that are available to help them, just working on getting the paperwork together to see what they qualify for. Just got word from the VA that he doesn't qualify for anything with them. I think repetition is important and have suggested to mom that once or twice a day set time aside for an activity but so much of that hinges on his attitude, his sugar levels (when they are off his behavior can fluctuate making some things impossible). Any suggestions? I am going to check the Alzheimers website for games/activities but I'm wondering what other people do. Thank you in advance.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm