SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Alzheimers - Ideas Needed from Experience

User
10 years ago

One of my sorority sisters has Alzheimers and it's gotten bad enough that 3 other sisters met with her husband about how we can continue to include M in our outings and vacations away from home.

Background: I've only known M since 2008. Others in the chapter have known her for 30+ years. M is 65 and was diagnosed about 3 years ago. She has 2 married children (neither live in the same town) and 5 grandchildren. She was a very devoted mother and wife. Husband S was and is very involved in Masons. M now has zero interests and her interest in sorority appears to be waning. S is either completely clueless or fooling himself about what to expect of M. She was given mental exercises he has never helped her with. She says she needs x. He gives her the telephone number to call for it and is surprised she doesn't call. He gets up before her, has breakfast and leaves to exercise then go about his Masonic activities. When he returns he's shocked she has done nothing. He complained he has to do the housework and cooking. He makes no effort to engage her in anything. They built a pool last year and complains she doesn't use it, but he makes no effort to lead her in using it. In other words, he's still expecting the same old M to see to his every need.

At our meeting S was grateful for our support. We will have a trip captain contact him before our outings to get updates on her abilities, medicines and other needs. The trip captain will be glued to her side, call S daily and make sure M talks to S daily. The 12 sisters will also rotate spending some time with her once a week either lunching, going for a walk, using the pool with her, whatever.

Here's where I could benefit from your personal experience dealing with a friend or relative with Alzheimers. As I said, I've only known M about 5 years during which she was already declining and not very engaged so I only know her from asking others for info about her background. If you ask her now about her grandchildren she cannot answer most questions including names or ages or current stories about them. She remembers her growing up years, meeting her husband and her deceased in-laws -- all to a limited degree (ex: one story about each subject played on a continuing loop). So, how do I keep her engaged for 3-4 hours? Just talk to her and not expect any conversation? Try to get her to walk at a mall (I do not enjoy walking at all and refuse to do it outside in summer without a golf club in hand)? Go to her house and cook something together? Look at photo albums with her (her family albums or sorority albums)? WWYD?

I am so lucky that I have never had to deal with this before. I am also so sad that her husband is not trying to make changes to his life to accommodate M's shrinking world.

Thank you for suggestions.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH