SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Looking for Elegant Appetizers please

lowspark
16 years ago

Passover's almost over and it's time for me to start thinking about what I'm going to make for my Martini Party on May 3. I'm going to serve a few different kinds of Martinis (I've gathered serveral recipes from a couple of threads here and will go buy all the necessary booze next week).

In addition, I want to serve some elegant appetizers to go with the martinis. Instead of the usual dips & chips type of stuff, I want to try to make this more special. I'm expecting around 10 females.

In addition, I will be making chocolate martinis and wanted to make one dessert item to go with that. I was thinking of Ann's Decadent Brownies, they are oh-so-rich and oh-so-delish. Will they go well with the cocolatinis or will they be too strong?

Any ideas, recipes, suggestions are welcome. I can't wait to see everyone standing around clutching those adorable martini glasses!

Comments (19)

• lindac
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think with a chololatini I would want something sour and fruity....maybe a mini raspberry tart or rhubarb tart.
    Lessee...elegant appetiser for me means something you don't have to spread or dip...
    When planning food for a cocktail party I like to include at least one fish/sea food thing, a fowl item, a beef or lamb thing and a sausage/cured meat something and then a couple of veggie things.
    How about Belgian endive leaves stuffed with crab salad? And/or pea pods stuffed with salmon mixed with sour cream, lemon zest and dill? Cucumber sandwiches always look so "Tea Party" to me but are great with booze! LOL!
    I mix a 3 oz container of cream cheese with about 1 tablespoon of mayo and a sprinkle of onion salt and spread on a slice of light party rye and top with a slice of cucumber and a bit of dill weed.

Also a frosted sandwich loaf can be both good eating and beautiful..spread with ham salad, pimento cheese spread and chicken salad, frosted with cream cheese and decorated with beautiful flowers made from veggies and herbs.

There's always Shrimp Ono
    SHRIMP ONO (serves 10)
    5 lbs shrimp, boiled, peeled & deveined
    1 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1 1/4 cups finely chopped celery
    2 1/2 TBL minced bell pepper
    1/4 cup grated onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    5 TBL minced parsley
    3/4 cup spicy hot mustard
    1/4 cup paprika
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    Place the cooked shrimp in a large bowl. Combine the oil, vinegar, celery, bell pepper, onion, garlic, parsley, mustard, paprika, salt & pepper in a bowl & mix well. Pour over the shrimp. Marinate, covered in the refrigerator for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.~~ From Bay Tables

Cheese straws are also lively nibbles.
    CHEESE STRAWS (makes 5 dozen)
    1 scant cup flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    Dash of cayenne
    1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
    5 1/3 TBL butter
    2-3 tsp water
    Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne & cheese. Add the butter & rub in until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle in enough water to make a stiff dough. Roll out about 1/8" thick & cut in 3x1/4" strips. Bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 400 oven for 10 minutes or until slightly brown. (May make ahead & store in airtight container.~~ From Company's Coming.

And here! I just found a recipe for doing the stuffed pea pods...but I like salmon with the pea pods.
    HERBED PEA PODS (serves 12)
    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    4 tsp tarragon wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
    1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 tsp minced fresh parsley
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    1 lb pea pods
    Process the cream cheese, butter, vinegar, pepper & garlic in a blender or processor until blended. Combine the mixture w/the parsley in a mixer bowl & mix well. Add the cream, beating until creamy. Chill, covered for 2 hours. Steam the pea pods for 3-5 minutes. Drain & pat dry. Make a slit in the top of each pea pod. Fill each pod with 1 tsp of the cheese mixture using a pastry tube. Arrange on a serving platter. Chill, covered for up to 8 hours before serving.~~

Lots more ideas where these came from!
    Enjoy!
    Linda C

• whenicit
    16 years ago

Here is something easy & pretty:

Roll out crescent rolls on a jelly roll pan for the crust.
    Put some prepared pesto (I used 1/2 of a green/basil pesto & 1/2 of a sundried tomato pesto just for kicks). Put red and yellow tomato slices on top (I could not find yellow yet.) Sprinkle feta cheese over this. If desired, chop some fresh basil for the top (I didn't have any on hand so used basil from my spice jar.) Bake according to crescent roll package.

The original recipe called for phyllo dough but I didn't have time for that...

• Related Discussions

Elegant bath concept- please help w paint

Q

Comments (3)
    A guy with strong decorating opinions could be a blessing or a curse, lol. I get frustrated at times when my dh does not seem to care enough, yet may not like it if his design did not mesh with mine ;) I know for sure our budget would be higher if he cared more about what we put in. I manage to work my champagne tastes down to screw top prices (often for the same stuff by bargain shopping) and also like some simpler choices for aesthetic reasons, but sometimes, a splurge is almost a necessity if I can't get the price any lower. He has a tough time not going with what he wants and when he wants it. I am more patient/realistic. It might be fun though to have someone be enthusiastic alongside me. I almost fell in love with the tile store guy yesterday, but he plays for the other team quite obviously, lol. He and I were on the same page with being giddy about getting just the right look for several rooms(or he is a master at faking it!).
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Phyllo cup appetizer

Q

Comments (30)
    Strawberry Tartlets The wonton "cups" can be made in advance. Serves 12 and can easily be doubled. 12 wonton wrappers 3 tbsp butter, melted 1/3 cup packed brown sugar ¾ cup Mascarpone cheese 2 tbsp honey 2 tsp orange juice 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced Whipped cream and fresh mint, optional Brush one side of each wonton wrapper with butter. Place brown sugar in a shallow bowl; press buttered side of wontons into sugar to coat. Press wontons sugared-side-up into greased muffin cups. Bake at 325° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool. In a bowl, combine the cheese, honey and orange juice. Spoon about 1 tablespoon into each wonton cup. Top with strawberries. Garnish with whipped cream and mint if desired. ******************************** My niece once made this concoction in phyllo bundles and I'm sure it would work in wonton cups too. It was rich but very, very good... and I'm not a cheese lover but really loved this. She made a dark nut brittle ahead of time. She put some cranberry sauce in a saucepan with a little butter and some red cabernet sauvignoc, and reduced it a little bit. For the assembly, she place a piece of brittle in center of cut phyllo strip, then placed a piece of brie on top of the brittle, then poured a little bit of cranberry sauce mixture on the brie. Bring up the ends of the phyllo to form a "bundle" and sprayed it with PAM. Place on cookie sheet and put in the oven for a number of minutes to crisp up the phyllo. She then placed it in the microwave for a few seconds to make sure the brie melted or whatever (I think she did this cuz it wasn't in oven long enough..not sure). It was rich but the taste and texture was awesome! You had the crispiness of the phyllo, the crunchiness of the nut brittle, the creaminess of the cheese, and the savoury taste of the cranberry/wine sauce.
    ...See More

Elegant Candy looks more like Peach Candy, no?

Q

Comments (5)
    I contacted the seller to identify and received this reply, "This is elegant candy. if the buds were already formed in the crown when the plant was moved this spring, then the first flowers out may be affected and are not quite perfect. it may also be a function of ambient temperature. please give it some time in your garden." I must learn patience, but I am so excited to begin my daylily journey!
    ...See More

Help Please!!! Looking for elegant, yet comfortable & transitional

Q

Comments (28)
    This heating/cooling unit (convector) is what you see when you walk into my living room. So even though I thought i was going to do a 88 inch sofa and two chairs (see above, groveraxle was kind enough to put in two chairs facing my sofa), perhaps I should do a 80" sofa and put a 6O" loveseat in front of this convector to hide it, and a chair across the room. I covered my dining room chairs (which is a little higher than the sofa would be) to make it look like a love seat. Does this look crowded? I have two versions one with the sofa in front of the convector and one with the chairs, same idea. The sofa I want is by Hallagan ( it supports my head and no tea cushions and slim arms, love it, see above) and I was going to do beige, ( see above with the nail heads) because I am not nuts about most grays. Thank Goodness I took Sabrina Alfin Interiors advise and looked for a rug first, could not find anything that complimented my fabric! I don't like Oriental rugs, too busy. It seems like any rugs with design has gold/ yellow and it looks terrible with my potential fabric (see above). I really wanted to do a creamy white, unfortunately Hallagan has limited fabrics and the two white fabrics I don't like. This is so hard!!! Final question, if I use nail heads can I use nail heads on both sofas. The chair will be in a different fabric. I am giving away what is left in my living and starting from scratch. Again thanks for all the useful advise!!!
    ...See More
  • User
    16 years ago

One of my favourites and can be made in advance and frozen is the Spanish Tapa Mushroom and Pimento in puff pastry.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Mushrooms And Pimientos In Puff Pastry
    ======================================
    The Foods and Wines of Spain

1 package puff pastry
    1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1 Tablespoon minced onion
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 Tablespoons minced pimiento
    preferably homemade
    1/4 pound mushrooms, chopped fine
    1/2 dried red chili crumbled or 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 Teaspoons grated parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onion and garlic until onion is
    wilted. Add the pimiento and cook for a minute, then the mushrooms,
    chili pepper, salt, and pepper and saute until mushrooms are softened.
    Remove from the heat and stir in cheese.

Roll the puff pastry to 1/8 inch. You can cut Cut into 1 3/4 inch
    circles and place 1 teaspoon of filling on half of the circles. Moisten
    the edges with water, cover with the remaining pastry circles, and
    press with the tines of a fork to seal.

I prefer to make them triangle shape,by cutting the pastry into 2 1/2
    inches squares, add filling on one half and then folding over corner to
    form a triangle.

(May be prepared ahead and refrigerated) Place on a dampened cookie
    sheet and bake at 425 F on the upper rack of the oven for 7 to 10
    minutes or until golden.

( To cut down on work you could make this appetizer in a larger size
    and Bake for about 20 minutes.) Then cut into wedges.

• bri29
    16 years ago

I watched Giada's wine tasting episode yesterday and she had some interesting looking appetizers. One was a lightly marinated swordfish wrapped in a thin slice of pancetta and grilled. Looked pretty darned good!

Our local martini bar serves things like crostini topped with very thinly sliced serrano ham and manchego cheese, these lovely sweet pickled cipollini onions with a little drizzle of olive oil and a little bit of chopped basil. To die for. They go nicely with almost any martini in the bar, and are easily managed as finger food. A beautiful cheese platter with olives, almonds etc and dressed up with some nice greens can also be an elegant accompaniment to a martini.

As for the chocolatinis, I find that if you pair them with anything chocolate it's just too much (even for people who love chocolate). You may try a fruit or custard based dessert. Linda's suggestion of a tart is a great one! My first inclination was creme brulee, but it may be too much richness. How about something like a poached pear with mascarpone and a little bit of caramel sauce?

Bri

• User
    16 years ago

These always get rave reviews. I always have a bunch in the freezer for those time a want a special appetizer.

Spanikopita

16 oz Phyllo Dough,thawed in the fridge for 24 hours
    10 oz Frozen Spinach,thawed and drained of all liquid
    3/4 lb Feta Cheese, 375 Grams
    1/2 lb Cottage Cheese,pressed and drained about 1 cup
    1/4 lb Cream Cheese,softened
    3 Eggs
    1/4 cup Fresh Dill,Chopped Fine
    Salt
    Pepper
    Nutmeg
    3/4 cup Butter,melted

In large bowl combine all ingredients except phyllo and butter. Working with one sheet of phylo at a time, brush with melted butter and cut in 5 strips lengthwise. Place 1 spoonful of mixture at the bottom of each strip about 1 inch from the bottom, fold the bottom piece up over the filling and then fold up in a triangle shape. Fold like you fold a flag, to the left, up , to the right ,up etc.

Brush tops with more melted butter.

Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm

NOTE: To freeze, place the uncooked spanikopita on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer. Once frozen place in bags or containers. When ready to serve place frozen spanikopita on a cookie sheet and bake.

Here is another recipe that is always well received.

Stuffed Mushrooms

20 large white mushrooms
    1/3 Cup butter (maybe a bit more)
    4 or 5 green onions chopped fine
    2- 2 1/2 cups grated medium cheddar
    1/3 Cup bread crumbs
    salt

Clean mushrooms and carefully remove stems. Chop stems finely (I use the food processor).

Melt butter in a saute pan. Saute mushroom stems and onions over medium heat until soft but not browned and the stems have given up their juices. Mixture should be quite moist. A

Add the bread crumbs, only enough to absorb the liquid. Add the grated cheese and stir just until it has melted. Don't worry if the oil separates from the cheese. Stuff the mixture into the caps. Can be prepared well ahead

Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until the caps are nice and soft. Sprinkle with a bit of salt when you take them from the oven. Serve warm.

Ann T's Gougere would be very good too. I use her recipe but I make bite size ones instead of the large ring.

here is a pic of the Gougere and the Stuffed Mushrooms

• spacific
    16 years ago

For my SIL's wedding reception, we made California Rumaki.
    Three ingredients... very easy... great sweet/savory mix

Dates (the fresher the better)
    Almonds (whole blanched)
    Bacon (turkey is fine)

Remove pits from dates, and stuff one almond in each date. Wrap with 1/3 to 1/2 slice of bacon (so it wraps with some overlap, but doesn't go around 2+ times).
    Place in preheated 400 degree oven. Bake for about 15 minutes or until bacon is crisp. The prep can be done the day before.

• khandi
    16 years ago

I agree about having something "fruity" with the chocolate martini. What about a fruit flan? (I have a recipe if you're interested.)

BRUSCHETTA

Basic Bruschetta

8 large slices country-style Tuscan or French bread
    2 cloves garlic
    ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Toast, broil or grill bread. Rub grilled bread with garlic, drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serves 4.

Roasted Red Pepper, Feta & Olive Bruschetta

1 c. roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
    ½ c. crumbled feta cheese
    ¼ c. Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
    ½ tsp. crumbled dried oregano
    1 green onion, chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Basic Bruschetta

Combine all topping ingredients in a bowl. Pile onto Basic Bruschetta and bake at 425 F for about 10 minutes or until heated through and feta cheese is softened. Cut into 2-inch pieces. Serves 4.

Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Bruschetta

3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    3 onions, thinly sliced
    3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    1 tbsp. sugar
    ½ tsp. salt
    5 oz. goat cheese, with or without herbs
    2 tbsp. pine nuts
    Basic Bruschetta

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, about 30 minutes. Add vinegar, sugar, and salt and cook for 5 minutes, until liquid has almost completely evaporated. Onions can be prepared up to a day ahead and refrigerated until just before youre ready to prepare the bruschetta.

Arrange a layer of caramelized onions on Basic Bruschetta, top with crumbled goat cheese and pine nuts. Bake at 425 F for about 10 minutes, or until heated through and cheese has begun to melt. Cut into 2-inch pieces and serve. Serves 4.

Peppered Steak & Frizzled Onion with Parmesan Bruschetta

1 Tbsp cracked peppercorns
    1 Tbsp coarse salt
    8 oz. strip loin steak, trimmed of fat
    2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 large onion, sliced into rings
    ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Basic Bruschetta

In small dish, mix together pepper and salt. Coat both sides of steak with mixture, using full amount to form a heavy crust on the meat. Preheat a heavy griddle or grill pan over medium-high heat and grease it very lightly with olive oil. When pan is hot enough that a drop of water sizzles, immediately place steak on pan and cook, without disturbing, about 5 minutes on each side for medium rare. Remove steak to a cutting board and let rest.

Add onion to pan and cook, stirring, just until wilted and browned. When onion is done, slice steak very thinly against the grain. Arrange steak slices along the length of freshly toasted bruschetta, top with frizzled onion and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese. Serves 4.

Shrimp & Sausage with Asiago Cheese Bruschetta

1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    ½ medium onion, chopped
    ½ medium green pepper, chopped
    ½ lb. Italian hot or sweet sausage, casing removed
    ½ lb. raw shrimp, peeled and chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    Salt and pepper to taste
    ½ c. coarsely grated Asiago cheese
    Basic Bruschetta

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and green pepper and cook, stirring, until onion is wilted about 3 minutes. Add sausage meat and cook, stirring to break up lumps until no longer raw, about 5 minutes. Add chopped shrimp and garlic, cooking just until shrimp turns pink. Remove from heat and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.

Preheat broiler. Place Basic Bruschetta slices on a baking sheet. Top with shrimp and sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil just until cheese melts (3-4 minutes). Do not let brown. Remove from oven, cut into 2-inch pieces and serve hot. Serves 4.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Here is a thread I've saved from several years ago. Maybe some of them will fit the bill for you.....

Alexa

martini party hors doeuvre
    Posted by Tiema (My Page) on Tue, Sep 10, 02 at 15:17
    Hello,
    I volunteered to bring hors d'eouvres to a formal martini party. I was told, that something spicy or with very strong flavors would do best. I would like to use either a seafood or a vegetarian recipe.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Follow-Up Postings:
    RE: need hors d'oeuvre suggestions for a martini party
    Posted by: Ann_T (My Page) on Tue, Sep 10, 02 at 21:57
    Tiema
    I have posted this recipe often on the cooking/recipe forums. The feedback has always been good. I usually add extra broth and you can adjust the spicyness by adding more or less hot red pepper flakes.
    Ann.
    Home Cookin 4.8 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table - Appetizers
    Spanish Tapa - Garlic Shrimp
    ============================
    6 Tablespoons olive oil
    4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 pound medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    2 tablespoons of chicken broth
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    salt
    2 Tablespoons minced parsley
    Italian or French Bread cut into cubes
    Heat the oil, garlic and red pepper flakes in a large, shallow pan. When the
    garlic just begins to turn golden, add the shrimp and cook over high heat
    for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the broth and lemon juice.
    If serving in the living room, pour into a large earthenware bowl and
    sprinkle with salt and parsley. Serve immediately.
    Goes great with a nice dry white wine, dry sherry, or Martini
    Posted by: Lindac (My Page) on Wed, Sep 11, 02 at 0:33
    Oh my!! I have some dim memories of Martini parties.....very dim LOL!
    I think because of the alcoholic content of the drinks, I would look at foods with substance, stick to the ribs stuff.
    An easy way is just to set out an assortment of cheeses with crackers and maybe some bruchetta toasts.
    Linda C
    Posted by: Cindy_Mac (My Page) on Wed, Sep 11, 02 at 9:16
    Someone made these for a party this past summer. They were incredible. The recipe is on epicurious.com. It gets rave reviews.
    CHEDDAR PECAN CRISPS
    1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
    8 oz Cheddar, coarsely grated (2 cups)
    1 large egg yolk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
    PREHEAT oven to 350°.
    BEAT together butter and Cheddar in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth, then beat in remaining ingredients.
    ROLL rounded teaspoons of dough into balls and arrange 3 inches apart on buttered baking sheets. Flatten each ball into a 1 1/2-inch disk and bake in batches in middle of oven until golden, 15 to 18 minutes.
    Makes about 50 crackers -- Gourmet -- January 2002
    Here is a link that might be useful: Cheddar Pecan Crisps ( see reviews)
    Posted by: Sunny66 (My Page) on Wed, Sep 11, 02 at 12:03
    CHERRY TOMATOES WITH ROASTED GARLIC FILLING
    I had these at a party once and they are excellent! I haven't attempted to make them myself however, it looks a little time-consuming.
    Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry tomatoes w/roasted garlic filling
    Posted by: chase (My Page) on Wed, Sep 11, 02 at 17:50
    Tiema,
    I see you have volunteered to "bring" the hors d'oeuvres, so I am assuming this is not in your home. Will you have access to an oven or stove top and are OK with preparing them there or do you want them to be cold/room temp?
    Posted by: MQmoi (My Page) on Wed, Sep 11, 02 at 20:19
    Here's a bold seafood for you. I think these would be geat with martinis. They are easy to prepare yet very elegant.
    ROQUEFORT-STUFFED SHRIMP
    24 jumbo shrimp
    3 ounces cream cheese
    1 ounce Roquefort or Danish blue cheese
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon-type mustard
    1 teaspoon finely chopped scallion
    1 cup finely chopped parsley
    Cook shrimp in salted water, then drain, shell and devein. Split the shrimp down the spine about halfway through. Chill.
    Blend the cream cheese, Roquefort, mustard and scallion. Using a knife or small spatula, stuff the cheese mixture into the split backs of the shrimp. Roll the cheese side of the shrimp in chopped parsley and serve chilled.
    Posted by: cookingrvc (My Page) on Wed, Sep 11, 02 at 21:53
    Here's a nice spicy shrimp recipe that can be made ahead.
    It's great with cocktails.
    Spicy Grilled Shrimp (Adapted from How to Cook Everything)
    1 Large garlic clove
    1 t. salt
    ½ t. Cayenne pepper
    1 t. Paprika
    2 T. Olive oil
    2 t. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
    1.5 2 pounds of shrimp (20-30 count per pound), peeled, rinsed, and dried.
    Preheat grill or broiler to very hot.
    Mince the garlic with the salt; mix it with the cayenne and paprika, then make a paste with the olive oil and lemon juice.
    Smear the paste all over the shrimp.
    Grill or broil 2-3 minutes per side, turning once.
    Serve immediately or at room temperature with lemon wedges.
    Posted by: MQmoi (My Page) on Wed, Sep 11, 02 at 23:34
    Here are two, make-ahead brie recipes:
    PESTO-FILLED BRIE
    This is best as a make-ahead dish.
    1 Baby Brie (1.1 pounds)
    1 small clove garlic
    1 bunch fresh basil (1 ½ t. dried)
    4 T. unsalted, softened butter
    Squeeze fresh lemon juice
    Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
    1 T. pine nuts or walnuts
    Chopped parsley
    Split brie horizontally into two layers and set aside.
    In a blender, chop garlic finely. Add enough basil leaveswashed and driedto make about ½ cup. Add half of the butter, lemon juice and pepper. Process until smooth. Remove and stir in nuts.
    Spread filling evenly onto one layer of cheese, then top with second layer, cut side down.
    Spread remaining butter around edge of cheese and sprinkle with parsley.
    To serve, cut into wedges. Make 24 hours before serving so all flavors meld. Serves 8-12.
    1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 8-inch-diameter 32- to 36-ounce
    French Brie, packed in wooden box (reserve box)
    2 French bread baguettes, sliced
    Melt butter in heavy very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until just tender, about 6 minutes. Add minced thyme, reduce heat to medium and cook until onions are golden, stirring often, about 25 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup wine; stir until almost all liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over onions and sauté until soft and brown, about 10 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup wine; stir just until liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool. (Can be prepare 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Unwrap Brie, reserving bottom of wooden box. Cut away only top rind of cheese, leaving rind on sides and bottom intact. Return Brie to box, rind side down. Place box on baking sheet. Top Brie evenly with onion mixture. Bake until cheese just melts, about 30 minutes. Transfer Brie in box in platter. Surround with baguette slices.
    Serves 8 to 10.

Bon Appétit
    Posted by: shmaco (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 2:16
    A really simple but elegant, make-ahead hors d'oeuvres I have made:
    Pipe some cream cheese into large pimento stuffed green olives then wrap some very finely sliced salami or pepperoni (depending on the size of the olives, the salami should not be too large, you should still be able to see the olive on one side) around and secure with a toothpick.
    Posted by: Tiema (My Page) on Mon, Sep 16, 02 at 0:24
    Hi and thank you all for sharing your recipes. These recipes look so good, I'm planning on trying most of them in the near future. I think the baked brie with caramelized onion sounds like it would go well with the martinis. I also found that there's a whole section on cocktail parties in the October 2001 issue of Bon Appetit. One of the recipes is one I'm still considering for the martini party as well. If anyone is interested take a look at these reipes on epicurious.com:
    Mango-Curry Shrimp Salad in Wonton Cups
    New Potatoes with three-cheese fondue
    http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=106295

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Throwing a party for 15-20 people, I'm helping with the food. Hostess wants to do finger food/hors d'oeuvres but make it substantial enough in case people are coming hungry. We've decided for sure on bruchetta (any good recipes?), a spinach artichoke dip, veggie tray, fruit skewars---nothing too substantial yet.
    What are your favorite party finger foods?
    Follow-Up Postings:
    RE: Favorite party hors d'oeuvres?
    Posted by: ReneeKY (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 14:40
    This is a little work, but worth it. I don't bother with the bit about pulling the tail through the body of the shrimp anymore. It's just too much trouble for the effect and we found most people prefer the texture of keeping the shrimp whole. Green mango means just that -- an unripe mango. If you can't find one that is unripe, use the least ripe on you can find and add a 1/2 teaspoon of cidar vinegar to the sauce.
    Sesame Prawns with Sour Green Mango Salad
    by Mark Read
    adapted from Lemongrass and Lime
    (Ten Speed Press, 2001)
    Serve as a starter dish. Two pounds should allow for about 16 prawns, enough for a starter portion. Panko breadcrumbs are dried white breadcrumbs that originate from Asia. They add extra crispiness to this dish.
    Ingredients
    16 raw prawns
    1 sour green mango, available from Asian stores
    1 cucumber
    4 tablespoons flour
    2 egg whites
    2 tablespoons light soy sauce
    3 tablespoons white sesame seeds
    2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
    3 tablespoons Japanese panko breadcrumbs
    Sunflower or vegetable oil for deep frying
    1 bunch of mizuna (or young, tender arugula leaves), picked, washed, and drained
    3 tablespoons Nuoc Cham (below), plus extra for serving, if desired
    1 large red chile pepper, cut in half lengthwise, deseeded, and finely sliced
    Method
    1. Peel the prawns, leaving on the tail shells for garnish. Cut a lengthwise slit through the center, keeping the prawns attached at the tops and bottoms. Devein, then gently pull the tails through the slits creating a twisted appearance. Refrigerate, covered, until needed.
    2. Peel and shred the mango into long, thin strips. Then peel and cut the cucumber into strips. Combine the two in a large bowl. Set aside.
    3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, egg whites, and soy sauce. Combine the sesame seeds and panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
    6. Toss the prawns in the flour-egg mixture. Then toss them in the breadcrumb mixture to coat completely.
    7. Heat the oil and, when hot, deep-fry the prawns, about 1 minute; drain on paper towels.
    8. To serve, arrange the mizuna leaves around a serving dish. In a bowl, combine the mango and cucumber with the Nuoc Cham and chile pepper, then arrange in a pile on top of the leaves. Place the prawns around the garnish, tails facing outward, which to makes them easier to pick up and adds to the presentation. Serve with extra Nuoc Cham in dipping bowls, if desired.
    The sauce will keep for at least one week, covered, in the refrigerator. For best results, it should be made at least one day in advance to allow the flavors of the chiles and garlic to infuse the liquid.
    Nuoc Cham (Dipping Sauce)
    1/4 cup fish sauce
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup rice vinegar
    2 ounces superfine sugar
    5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    5 large red chile peppers, cut in half, deseeded, and finely chopped
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about one large lemon)
    1. In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, warm (do not boil) the fish sauce, water, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and chiles. When the sauce becomes moderately hot, about 140°F (60°C), remove from the heat and cool completely. Stir in the lemon juice.
    Posted by: chase (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 15:21
    Here are two. The first one Ginger gave me last winter. They were a huge hit. The second one is one I get requests for. A little fiddly but well worth it. Both recipes freeze well.
    Title: Virgin Islands Spicy Meat Pates (Ginger)
    Categories: Appetizer
    Yield: 16-20 Servings
    2 c flour
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 c butter,chilled
    1 t pepper
    5 T cold water
    1 lb extra-lean ground beef
    1 large yellow onion,minced
    2 ea garlic,minced
    1 large green bell pepper-minced
    1/2-1 habanero pepper,seeded-& minced
    1/2 c unseasoned breadcrumbs
    1/4 c pimento-stuffed olives-minced
    6 oz canned tomatoes,drained & chopped
    4 T apple cider vinegar
    1 t crushed oregano
    1/2 t allspice
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1 c sharp grated Cheddar
    Sift the flour, salt & pepper into a large bowl. Using 2 knives or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until coarse crumbs form.
    Work in the water & chill in the refrigerator 1 hour.
    In a large skillet, cook the met, onions, garlic & peppers. Drain & rinse the meat in a colander using hot water. Stir in the breadcrumbs, olives, tomatoes, vinegar, herbs & spices.
    Preheat oven to 425. On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough & cut into 4" circles. Spoon filling into the centers, top w/cheese & pinch shut with wet fingers. Bake on lightly greased baking sheet until golden, about 15 minutes.
    ---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06 by AccuChef (tm) www.AccuChef.com
    Title: Spanikopita
    Yield: 48 Pieces
    16 oz Phyllo Dough,thawed in the fridge For 24 hours
    10 oz Frozen Spinach,thawed and drained
    3/4 lb Feta Cheese,375 Grams
    1/2 lb Cottage Cheese,Pressed and drained (about 1 cup)
    1/4 lb Cream Cheese,Softened
    3 Eggs
    1/4 c Fresh Dill,Chopped fine
    Salt
    Pepper
    Nutmeg
    3/4 c Butter,melted
    In large bowl combine all ingredients except phylo and butter. Working with one sheet of phylo at a time, brush with melted butter and cut in 5 strips lengthwise. Place 1 spoonful of mixture at the bottom of each strip about 1 inch from the bottom, fold the bottom pieece up over the filling and then fold up into triangles. Fold like you fold a flag, to the left, up , to the right ,up etc.
    Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm
    Enjoy,
    Sharon
    Posted by: Anita9 (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 15:36
    Cut jalapenos in half and remove pith and seeds but leave on stems. Stuff with cream cheese and sharp cheddar cheese (cheddar is optional). Wrap each stuffed jalapeno with a half slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick, then cook, cheese side up, on a rack set on a baking sheet at ~400 F until the bacon is cooked. You can prepare them the day before and then cook right before serving.
    Posted by: ReneeKY (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 15:42
    Anita - do I understand correctly that after you stuff them, you put "the top" back on so each one is a whole jalapeno?
    Thanks
    Posted by: ArabellaMiller (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 15:58
    Slice Cherry Tomatoes in half and scoop out the insides. Using a pastry bag with a star tip, pipe in either Boursin cheese or Guacamole. Top with a small piece of scallion. Simple, and very pretty.
    Posted by: glenda_al (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 16:02
    This has always been a pleaser!!
    Bacon wrapped water chestnuts
    1 lb bacon cut in half
    1 can whole water chestnuts, you might buy 2 cans just to be safe.
    wrap each water chestnut with bacon half, secure with toothpick. Place on broiler pan in preheated over at 450, and let cook 10-20 minutes until bacon becomes crisp.
    In the meantime, heat 1 small jar grape jelly, and a small bottle bbq sauce.
    Put sauce in serving dish, add water chestnuts. You can also have french bread cubes with toothpcks around the dish for dipping into the leftover sauce.
    You won't have any left!!
    Posted by: annie1992 (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 16:15
    A steamed but still firm spear of asparagus, wrapped in a very thin slice of turkey breast which has been spread with vegetable cream cheese (I sometimes cheat and buy the Philadelphia brand already mixed, sometimes make my own). Chill.
    Posted by: chase (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 16:22
    A twist on Annies (which sounds delish!) is to wrap in proscuitto, splash with lemon and sprinkle with kosher salt.
    Also if you do want to do Arabellas cherry tomatoes I have a Homemade Boursin recipe that will save you $$$'s and is excellent.
    Posted by: CampbellUT (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 16:39
    What great recipes! Thanks everyone! Keep them comin'!
    Chase-I would LOVE the boursin recipe, we love that stuff but hardly ever buy it because of the expense. I would appreciate it, thanks much!
    Homemade Boursin
    Posted by: chase (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 16:47
    Here you go. Enjoy! Sharon
    ---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06 by AccuChef (tm) www.AccuChef.com
    Title: Homemade Boursin With Fresh Herbs

1 lb farmers cheese,or 1/2 lb cottage cheese and 1/2lb Ricotta
    8 oz cream cheese
    1/2 c butter,softened
    4 large garlic cloves,minced
    2 medium shallots,minced
    1/2 c fresh parsley,chopped finely and packed tight
    1/2 c chopped fresh thyme OR 2/3cup fresh dill chopped finely
    1/3 c chives,chopped finely
    1 t pepper,freshly ground
    1/4 t cayenne
    Blend the cheeses and butter, add the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Store in small crocks or ramekins in the fridge until well chilled.
    Posted by: Ruthanna (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 17:07
    PARTY SHRIMP SPREAD
    2 (8 oz.) pkg. softened cream cheese
    1 cup cocktail sauce
    1 1/2 cups cooked baby shrimp
    1/3 cup chopped green onions
    1/3 cup chopped green pepper
    1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
    1/3 cup diced fresh tomatoes, drained
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    On a pizza pan or large, flat round tray, spread the cream cheese evenly. Spread the cocktail sauce on top. Sprinkle the shrimp, green onions, green pepper, olives and tomatoes onto the cocktail sauce. Distribute the Parmesan cheese evenly over all the other ingredients so it looks like a pizza. Cover and chill until serving time. Serve as a spread with crackers.
    Posted by: PKguy (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 19:54
    I gravitate towards the deviled eggs and cheese/pickle plates myself..bruschetta, that sounds good, along with sweet and sour meatballs.
    Posted by: Dragonfly2 (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 20:43
    A big favorite is jumbo steamed shrimp tray with a good hot cocktail sauce, they are always a hit and never any left over,, also a sushi tray is a nice touch too.
    Posted by: bumblebeez (My Page) on Tue, Oct 8, 02 at 7:52
    I have been cooking most of the previous for years and they are all hits.
    Another favorite is hot crab dip and the spanpkipita's freeze great.
    Just go straight from freezer to oven.
    I also love and is always a big hit, a brie wrapped in puff pastry and baked and served with good preserves on the side.
    Posted by: LisaZone6_MA (My Page) on Tue, Oct 8, 02 at 11:56
    bumblebeez - I LOVE that baked brie!! Could eat the whole thing myself!! Actually I love appetizers in general. I've made those bacon wrapped water chestnuts before too. They're great. The recipe I had said to dip them in a bit of brown sugar before you broil/microwave them. The brown sugar carmelizes over the bacon and adds a nice touch.
    How about a really nice tray of cheeses and crackers? Pretty basic, I know, but if you have a nice variety of cheeses and crackers besides the regular cheddar and Ritz combo, it's always a hit. Not alot of work either, and pretty filling for people so they don't mind not having a regular "meal". Then again, I eat cheese and crackers instead of a meal sometimes, so maybe I'm partial LOL!!
    Posted by: ArabellaMiller (My Page) on Tue, Oct 8, 02 at 12:08
    I can vouch for Sharon's Boursin recipe. I used it a few months ago and it was wonderful.
    Posted by: MQmoi (My Page) on Tue, Oct 8, 02 at 12:55
    These aren't my favorite, but they are the easiest!
    These disappear as soon as they are out of the oven. Careful not to burn your tongue. LOL. I experimented with additions--only one of each, not all--sliced green olive, fresh oregano, paprika, cayenne. I like the oregano or the paprika best.
    Onion toasts
    3/4 cup chopped sweet onion such as Vidalia or Walla Walla
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    14 slices party (cocktail) rye or pumpernickel bread
    1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
    Preheat broiler.
    Stir together onion and mayonnaise. Arrange bread slices in 1 layer on a baking sheet and broil 6 inches from heat until lightly toasted (watch carefully). Remove from oven and turn toasts over. Spread evenly with onion mixture and sprinkle with cheese and freshly ground pepper.
    3Broil hors doeuvres until topping is bubbling and lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes (watch carefully to prevent burning).
    Serve warm.
    Gourmet magazine.
    Posted by: cookingrvc (My Page) on Tue, Oct 8, 02 at 13:24
    Had a party recently for 20+ and made the following which were easy to do ahead and heat/serve at the last minute:
    Mini crab cakes with Chardonnay Cream and Mustard Sauces
    Greek Meatballs (adapted from Ann T's recipe)with Lemon Sauce
    Open Faced chinese dumplings (similar to Shu Mai) with dipping sauce
    Grilled mushroom and bacon quesadillas
    Grilled spicy shrimp
    Chicken kabobs with Greek Yogurt Sauce (Tzi Tziki)
    Fresh bruchetta
    Blanched crudite with Ceasar Dip
    Goat Cheese/Sundried tomato spread with toasted garlic crostini
    Other ideas equally easy to make and bake at serving time:
    Ham and cheese scrolls (uses puff pastry sheets)
    Hot artichoke dip
    Hot bean dip
    Mini quiches
    Pigs in blankets
    Roasted vegetable and Fontina terrine
    I also put out:
    pretzels and hot/sweet mustard for dipping
    roasted salted nuts and raisins. The flavors and textures make this simple snack quite nice.
    If anything sounds interesting, I'll gladly post the recipe(s)
    Sue
    Posted by: Ann_T (My Page) on Tue, Oct 8, 02 at 14:16
    Here are a few favourite Hor d'oeuvres that I serve that can be eaten with the fingers.
    Ann.
    marinated mussels
    Crab stuffed Endive Spears
    Grilled Pesto Lemon Shrimp
    Tomato Oregano Tarts
    Escargot in cream in Toast cups
    smoked salmon
    Spanish Shrimp Tapas
    Focaccia with Goat Cheese, roasted peppers or tapanade
    La Gougere
    Posted by: ColleenOZ (My Page) on Tue, Oct 8, 02 at 21:24
    I like to make sausage rolls and curry puffs as they are reasonably substantial and can be made ahead and frozen. The link for the recipes I posted earlier is no longer available but if you're interested I'll retype them.
    Posted by: ReneeKY (My Page) on Tue, Oct 8, 02 at 22:31
    Colleen - I'd love to have the curry puff recipe. If you could please include the instructions for how best to freeze and reheat, that would be most welcome. I need a few "do ahead" finger foods for the end of the month.
    Posted by: caliloo (My Page) on Thu, Oct 10, 02 at 7:31
    Oh Colleen - could you post both please? I lost them during the hard drive crash of '02.
    Thanks!
    Alexa
    Posted by: Lindac (My Page) on Thu, Oct 10, 02 at 10:03
    If I am trying to make a meal out of cocktail snackies, I add some little homemade buns about 3 inches across, and make sandwiches with a very nice lean ham shaved. I find it's sort of like deviled eggs.....simple food that everyone loves.
    Anotherw ay to make a meal is with a whole cold poached salmon with a variety of sauces....caper sauce, cucumber/dill, lots of lemon wedges and maybe a sour cream with chutney thing. Serve with crackers or pita crisps.
    I find I like to serve several things that are a bit diet friendly, lower fat than most of the cocktail snackies, so I always include a veggie tray with yogurt dip, as well as the bacon wrapped, puff pastry shrouded, double cream brie etc.
    Linda C
    Posted by: ArabellaMiller (My Page) on Thu, Oct 10, 02 at 10:35
    Oh, right! Cold poached salmon. So delicious!
    Here's another nice one that I like:
    Asparagus Chicken
    3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 inch strips
    1 pound thin asparagus spears
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    Preheat oven to 350
    Blanch asparagus, drain and cool slightly. Cut into 5 inch pieces, discard bottoms.
    Spiral chicken strips around asparagus, secure with toothpicks and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
    Combine mustard, oil and lemon joice, stir until blended and brush on chicken.
    Bake 20 - 25 minutes until chicken is done. Do not overbake or asparagus will wilt. Remove toothpicks before serving.
    Posted by: Anita9 (My Page) on Fri, Oct 11, 02 at 16:19
    Sorry Renee you asked a question and I don't have time to really keep up with this forum so I didn't respond sooner. With the bacon-jalapeno recipe I posted, you don't re-assemble the jalapenos, just leave them in halves, open side up. You probably could reassemble them if you wanted to though, but it would be more work.
    This is a good thread, I will be saving it.
    Posted by: Roselin32 (My Page) on Sat, Oct 12, 02 at 15:13
    Although these all sound excellent, am I the only one that thinks many are cost prohibitive? Much as I love seafood, to use it for a party would take care of the whole food budget.
    Posted by: ReneeKY (My Page) on Sat, Oct 12, 02 at 15:32
    Roselin - I think the idea is to use one of the more expensive dishes and then augment it with the less expensive but more filling ones. :) We just all get so excited about throwing out ideas that when you see them all together like this it sure does looke expensive!
    Sue - you mention the mushroom and bacon quesadillas as a "make ahead." Would you please post that recipe? I've always shied away from doing them for a buffet because I think of them as needing to be assemebled same day.
    Posted by: chase (My Page) on Sat, Oct 12, 02 at 15:49
    but wouldn't ya just love to be at the party that served all of them! Great thread, great ideas.....
    Posted by: cookingrvc (My Page) on Sat, Oct 12, 02 at 15:57
    Renee,
    I grate the cheese and fry the bacon the day before, then store tightly wrapped in the refrigerator.
    The day of the party I slice the mushrooms and assemble them, with a piece of wax paper between them.
    Right before serving, I give them a quick fry in non-stick pan to which I've added a touch of oil. Then I let cool for a few minutes, slice into wedges, then garnish.
    I suppose you could baked them making it a bit easier at the last minute. Have to try that next time.
    No real recipe, I just throw it together depending on how many I make. (I'm taking a guess at the cheese measurement).
    6 large flour tortillas (not the huge ones that are used for wraps)
    8 oz. Monteray jack cheese - grated
    10 stips of bacon - cooked crisp, chopped coarsely
    8 white mushrooms - sliced or chopped
    Fresh ground pepper
    Layer the cheese, bacon, and mushrooms on a flour tortilla, then season with fresh ground pepper.
    Cover with another tortilla.
    Repeat, making 3 quesadillas.
    Heat fry pan over medium heat, add 1-2 teaspoons oil, and saute quesadille until cheese has started to melt and bottom is golden. Turn carefully, and cook the other side until cheese is melted.
    Total cooking time is less than 4 mintues for each quesadilla.
    Let sit for 2-3 minutes, then cut into wedges (I use a pizza cutter wheely thing) and serve with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa in crocks on the side.
    Or, mix some ground chipotles with sour cream and, using a squirt bottle, dribble the sauce over the quesadilla. Finish with a sprinkle of finely chopped cilantro.
    Hope this helps,
    Sue
    Posted by: cookingrvc (My Page) on Sat, Oct 12, 02 at 16:11
    I just made some hors d'oevres for a party at my Dad's tonight using 2 recipes I got from Ann T. They are wonderful.
    I am being a bit descriptive here to show how these can be made ahead for minimum last-minute finishing.
    The first is a camelized onion tart which I made as individual mini tarts using white bread slices that I pressed with a rolling pin and placed in a 24-count mini-muffin pan. The filling is awesome and they are delicious.
    I will give them a quick reheat right before serving, or may even just serve at room temp.
    The second is Ann's tomato tart which uses puff pastry sheets as the base. I cut out 2-inch circles from the puff pastry and pricked them with a fork to make mini tarts. They are baked and cooled and just waiting for transport.
    The topping is simple but delicious. I will assemble them and finish cooking them when I get there.
    The third, was a recipe I got off the net for frico: Italian-grating cheese wafers. These were tough to do and I had a lot of breakage from experimenting with oven heat and cooking time.
    I shaped the warm fricos into small cornucopias and will pipe in basil pesto/goat cheese mousse and separately, sundried-tomato/goat cheese mousse, then garnish with pine nuts and flayed basil. I'll do the final piping right before I leave for the party.
    Hope this helps,
    Sue
    Posted by: ReneeKY (My Page) on Sat, Oct 12, 02 at 16:20
    Why don't I ever think of wax paper as a kitchen toool? (Probably because we never had it in the house when I was growing up.) Reading your description, it's so obvious, yet my first thought is always "gee, this takes so much counter space to do at the last minute, I'll skip it." Now I read you process and it's clear that the step I never thought of it how to stack them assembled without them sticking together!
    Funny how one simple thing makes the difference in efficiency. :)
    The chipotle sour cream on them sounds wonderful.
    Mmmm...and the appetizers for your Dad's party sound delicious and very pretty. (After all, we eat with the eyes first, right?)
    Posted by: Anita9 (My Page) on Sat, Oct 12, 02 at 19:18
    Tyropitas and almost everything I can think of made with phyllo dough can be assembled and then frozen for weeks and put strait into the oven without defrosting. You can't get much more convenient than that, if you have the oven space available anyway.
    Posted by: Lindac (My Page) on Sat, Oct 12, 02 at 19:40
    I also have served all manner of different quiche ( is quiche like hippotamus?....do I add an es......or is the noun plural? Oh Well.....suspect that's another forum!) made in tart tins and served just warm and slices skinny. Everything from pesto Swiss cheese to Broccoli chedder and blue cheese wirth pecans and parsley.
    Again well recieved....but not make ahead.
    Linda C

• stacy3
    16 years ago

These would be great for a martini party - I made them and they are good! They looked good in martini glasses. (in the foreground is bar nuts which are also great)

{{gwi:1512792}}

as well as IMO other martini glasses filled with various types of olives from the deli...garlic stuffed, kalamata, cheese stuffed, hot olives, etc...

Michael Chiarello's Crispy Sausage-Stuffed Olives

This appetizer packs a lot of southern Italian attitude into every bite. I love to catch my guests off-guard with a flavor they don't expect. The idea is to wake up their palates with some big tastes and textures. This dish does just that. - Michael Chiarello
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 sweet fresh Italian sausage, about 1/4 pound, casing removed
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
    1 can or jar (12 ounces) large pitted green olives
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup fine dried bread crumbs
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    peanut oil for deep-frying
    PREPARATION:
    In a bowl, combine the sausage meat, garlic, and red pepper flakes, if using, and mix to distribute the ingredients evenly. Drain the olives and rinse them under running cold water. Stuff each of the olives with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of the sausage mixture.
    Spread the flour of a dinner plate.
    Break the egg into a shallow bowl and beat lightly. Spread the bread crumbs on another dinner plate. Moisten the bread crumbs with the olive oil, and stir to distribute the oil evenly. One at a time, roll the olives in the flour, coating them evenly and shaking off the excess. Then dip them in the egg, letting any excess drip back into the bowl. Finally, coat the olives evenly with the bread crumbs. As each olive is finished, place it on a tray. Cover and refigerate the olives for at least 10 minutes or up to 2 hours before frying.
    Pour the peanut oil to a depth of at least 3 inches into a deep fryer or a heavy, 8-inch-deep stockpot and heat to 375 degrees. Working in batches, add the olives to the hot oil and fry until golden brown and the sausage stuffing is cooked through, about 3 minutes. The olives will bubble vigorously until they are nearly done, so be careful to avoid splatters. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
    Arrange the olives in a ceramic dish. Serve warm or at room temperature.
    Makes about 35 olives; Serves 6 to 8

COOKING NOTES: Look for large, pitted green Sicilian-style olives for this dish. They come packed in cans and jars, or buy them loose from a local deli. If you can only find already-stuffed olives - with pimientos, onions, anchovies, almonds - you can just remove the stuffing.

Bar Nuts
    From The Union Square Cafe Cookbook, HarperCollins, 1994

These nuts won The New York Press award for "best bar nuts in New York." Every afternoon at about 4:45, a piping hot batch emerges from our ovens and is sent out to the bar, where the sweet rosemary fragrance wafts throughout the restaurant. Though they don't have a television set at they're bar, these nuts would probably be a hit in your living room accompanied by a football game and some ice-cold beer.
    Yields 5 cups

Ingredients
    1/4 pound each peeled peanuts, cashews, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, and whole unpeeled almonds or 1 pounds unsalted, assorted nuts.
    2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. Toss the nuts in a large bowl to combine and spread them out on a cookie sheet. Toast in the oven until they become light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
    3. In the large bowl, combine the rosemary, cayenne, brown sugar, salt, and melted butter.
    4. Thoroughly toss the warm toasted nuts with the spiced butter and serve warm.
    From the The Union Square Cafe Cookbook, ©1994

• stacy3
    16 years ago

these are really good too May.

I'm leaning towards warm or at room temp things to help you avoid last minute work.

Palmiers With Honey Mustard And Prosciutto (Craftyrn)
    ==========================================
    1 sheet puff pastry -- 18 x 11"
    3 Tablespoons honey mustard
    4 Ounces prosciutto -- thinly sliced
    1 Cup Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
    1 egg
    2 Teaspoons water
    . Place the puff pastry on a work surface and spread the mustard over the top.
    Arrange the prosciutto evenly over the mustard to cover all the pastry, and
    then sprinkle with the Parmesan. Lightly press the cheese into the
    prosciutto with a rolling pin.
    starting at one long edge, roll up the puff pastry like a jelly roll just to
    the middle of the dough; then roll up the other side in the same fashion,
    making two rolls that meet in the center. Using a serrated knife, cut the
    rolls crosswise into 1/2" slices. Place the slices on cookie sheets lined
    with parchment paper and press lightly with your hands to flatten.
    Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Beat the egg and water together in a small bowl. Brush the top of each
    palmier with the egg wash. Bake until puffed and lightly golden, about 10
    minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
    Servings: 20

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

May, what time should we arrive? LOL

Salmon Balls in Dill Sauce

Oil
    2 scallions, minced
    1 15-1/2 oz can salmon, drained and flaked
    1 c dried bread crumbs
    1 T lemon juice
    1 egg
    8 oz sour cream
    Pepper
    Dill weed
    1 c chicken broth
    Parsley for garnish

Heat 1T oil in skillet over medium heat, add scallions and cook until tender. Remove to large bowl, add salmon, bread crumbs, lemon juice, egg, 1/4c sour cream, 1/4tsp pepper and 1/4tsp dill weed. Mix well, shape into 2 inch balls.

Heat 2T oil in same skillet, over medium heat. Brown salmon balls, transfer to plate. Pour oil from skillet, add chicken broth, bring to boil, lower heat, stir in remaining sour cream, remaining dill weed and pepper. Return salmon balls to sauce and heat through. Serve hot.

Makes 5 main dish servings or make balls one inch diameter for a wonderful appetizer!

Balsamic Mushrooms 1/4 c olive oil 12 oz button mushrooms 3 T balsamic vinegar 1 tsp coarse salt 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes fresh ground pepper Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes, season with pepper. Cook one minute more. Transfer to serving dish, serve hot or at room temperature.

BLOODY MARY SHRIMP
    Servings: Makes about 50 hors d'oeuvres

For shrimp
    1 pound medium shrimp in shell, peeled and deveined
    1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery (3 to 4 ribs)
    1 cup thinly sliced scallions (about 6)

For sauce
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup vodka (preferably Absolut Peppar)
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons bottled horseradish (not drained), or to taste
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon Tabasco

Prepare shrimp:
    Bring a large saucepan of salted water (2 tablespoons salt for 2 quarts water) to a boil. Add shrimp, then remove from heat and let stand in water until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Cut shrimp into thirds and transfer to a large bowl with celery and scallions.

Make sauce:
    Whisk together all sauce ingredients, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste.
    Just before serving, stir sauce into shrimp mixture. Spoon 2 shrimp pieces with vegetables and sauce into individual Chinese soup spoons and arrange spoons on a platter.

Cooks' notes:
    Shrimp can be cooked and tossed with vegetables 4 hours ahead, then chilled in a sealed bag. Bring to room temperature, about 30 minutes, before tossing with sauce.
    Sauce can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.

Fruited Shortbread Bites Source BH&G Appetizers 4 oz cream cheese 2 T sour cream 1 T powdered sugar 1/2 tsp grated orange peel 24 2\-inch square shortbread cookies Assorted fruits : sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, sliced & quartered kiwi, grapes, mandarin oranges, etc. Stir together cream cheese, sour cream, powdered sugar and orange peel until combined. Spread 1 T of cheese mixture on each cookie. Arrange fruit on top of cheese mixture. Chill and serve. Linda
  • sigh
    16 years ago

How funny, I'm planning a Tapas & Tinis party for May as well! I'm just dying for an old fashioned cocktail party.

One of the items on my make ahead list is Vietnamese spring rolls (they just have to be reheated).

Also very simple & very good are my version of Black Rock's skirt steak nachos:

1-2 lbs skirt steak, cut into 8" pieces and marinated in orange juice, lime juice, oil, soy sauce & garlic (garlic powder and/or hot pepper flakes to taste). Broil until just charred on both sides, then remove from oven & wrap with foil. Allow to rest 10-15 minutes.

While steak rests toast flour tortillas in a cast iron pan until crisp then cut each tortilla into 6 triangles.
    Mash 2 ripe advocados. You can add sour cream if desired.

Unwrap skirt steak & slice thinly, cutting slices into bite sized pieces if necessary.

place 1 tsp of advocado on each tortilla triangle & top with a piece of skirt steak.

That's it.

Nina

• happygram
    16 years ago

This might sound absolutely heretical on a thread with such elegant and delicious appetizer suggestions, but at the fancy cocktail parties I've attended, the first thing that disappears are the plain large beautiful shrimp. They could be creatively arranged in a large martini glass like the one in a picture above.

Just a simple thought from simple me...

• caliloo
    16 years ago

I've made those Olives Stacy, and they were good but real pain! At least I thought they were - stuffing 1/4 tsp sausage into that little tiny olive space made for a real mess for me. Maybe I am just inept at that though...

If you aren't going to make the ones Stacy is talking about - what about Weed's Olives?

Olive Surprise Cheese Balls

2 cups grated sharp cheddar
    1 stick butter, softened
    1 cup flour
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1 small jar pimento stuffed olives.

Sift dry ingredients together. Add softened butter and cheese. (use hands to mix)
    Take about 1 tsp of dough and flatten. Put an olive in the middle and wrap dough around it, then roll to make a ball.
    Put tray of olives in freezer until firm.
    Bake 15 minutes in 400 degree oven.
    Sprinkle with paprika while still warm.

• lowspark
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wowee kazowee! Excellent!! What a lovely array to choose from. I hope to finalize my menu this weekend. Thanks all, and if you have more, please keep 'em coming!

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

I don't fuss much, but when I want elegant I buy those mini phyllo cups and fill them with all kinds of stuff. Always easy and very popular. Not make ahead though, because they get soggy.

The minute you said "Chocolate Martini" (which I have now officially had, thanks to the corrupting influence of Woodie and Caliloo at a forum get-together), I thought "fruit pizza." You know, sugar cookie dough spread with sweetened cream cheese and topped with gorgeous fruit and a shiny glaze. The cookie part could be cut and shaped a myriad of ways, even made into little tarts. I'd do strawberry blackberry banana kiwi with an orange marmelade or apricot jam glaze. Garnish the plate with fresh mint from the garden.

• san_
    16 years ago

that sounds like fun to me! and i may be the odd man out here but if you were serving me a chocolate martini, i think i'd be very happy to have something very plain and simple like a batch of roasted and perhaps spicey nuts...but i know lots of people like chocolate with fruit and these are easy and good.

Filled Strawberries (debbie 814)
    6 ounces room-temperature cream cheese
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (I used a bit more)
    12 strawberries
    Whip 6 ounces room-temperature cream cheese on medium speed until slightly fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and 1 1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar. Trim tops and bottoms of 12 strawberries to level. Use a small melon baller to scoop out tops. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip with cream cheese mixture; pipe into berries until it brims over tops. Toast 1/4 cup sliced almonds in a 350°oven until golden-brown, 3 to 6 minutes; arrange slices over filling.
    (recipe from Martha Stewart)

cream puffs can be filled with just about anything you like and i prefer savory things to sweet but again, thinking of your martinis, a batch of these with a little whipped cream flavored with a bit of almond extract might work:
    Cream Puffs/Profiteroles (cindy)

Makes 12 large cream puffs or 36 miniature cream puffs (profiteroles)

1 cup water
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup flour
    4 eggs

Heat water, butter, sugar & salt to a full rolling boil in a large saucepan.
    Add flour all at once. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a thick smooth ball that leaves sides of pan clean (about 1 minute). Remove from heat; cool slightly.
    Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until paste is shiny-smooth.
    Drop by Tablespoonfuls, or desired size onto ungreased cookie sheets.
    Bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes, cool.
    Cut off tops, spoon in filling. Replace tops.

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Where to begin? Well, I think with stuff that can be made almost totally in advance. Here's a lovely recipe from a lovely cookbook -- "Stop and Smell the Rosemary", from the Jr. League of Houston.

ARTICHOKE CHEESECAKE

4 tsp. unsalted butter
    8 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
    1 (6-oz.) container marinated artichoke hearts (original recipe calls for only half this amount, but I disagree!)
    3 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1-1/4 c. (about 5 oz.) crumbled feta cheese
    1-1/2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano (do NOT sub dried in this!)
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    3 large eggs
    1/4 c. chopped green onion

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush bottom and sides of springform pan with melted butter. Place one sheet phyllo in bottom of pan. (It will extend up over sides.) Brush with butter. Repeat with remaining sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter. With a sharp knife, cut several slits in dough to allow steam to escape. Bake until lightly browned (8-10 min.) Cool on a wire rack.

Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.

Drain artichoke hearts, RESERVING 2 tablespoons of marinade. Chop artichokes.

With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, feta, oregano and garlic powder until combined. Add eggs, beating just until blended, being careful not to overbeat.

Stir in green onions, artichokes and reserved marinade, mixing well. Pour into crust. Cover loosely with foil and bake 40-50 minutes, until sides are firm but center is still soft.

Allow to cool. Cover and chill for 24 hours. Garnish with sprigs of fresh oregano. Serve partially-chilled or at room temp. (Can't be too cold or it's hard to spread.)

Many of you are probably already familiar with the website www.finedining.com. (If you're not, you need to check it out!!!) Actually, you could plan your whole party just using her recipes. Here's one I especially love.

STUFFED NEW POTATOES

1-1/2 lbs. small red potatoes (about 20)
    1 c. sour cream
    4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
    1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
    1/4 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
    2 tsp. fresh chives, minced
    1/2 cup shredded cheese (she suggests either Cheddar or Parmesan -- I've only tried the latter)
    fresh Italian parsley, minced, for garnish

Cook potatoes (scrubbed, but unpeeled) in boiling water until just fork-tender. Put in cold water to stop cooking process.

When cool enough to handle, cut each potato in half crosswise. Carefully scoop out the centers, leaving a 1/4-inch shell of pulp in the skins.

In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, bacon bits, seasoned salt, pepper and chives. (I actually also add the scooped-out potato, turning it into a mini 'twice-baked'.)

Arrange potato halves on a cookie sheet, sprinkling with cheese. (At this point, you may cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.)

When ready to serve, preheat broiler. Broil until cheese melts. Sprinkle with parsley for garnish.

Well, I'm all typed out for tonight. But if you want a salad 'finger food', let me know and I'll add that tomorrow.

sm