SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edeevee

Pulled Pork to Carnitas

edeevee
11 years ago

I'm mostly a lurker on this forum but I'm offering a recipe in exchange for some advice. My husband is from coastal North Carolina so I've tried a bunch of recipes over the years in an attempt to recreate authentic tasting vinegar based pulled pork. I came across a new one recently and gave it a try yesterday. It was not only the easiest method I've used so far but the end result was also deemed "very close" to the pork my hubby and bil grew up with. Here goes:

Slow Cooker Carolina Pulled Pork

Pork Shoulder
2 Smoked Pork Chops
1 1/2 c Cider Vinegar
3T Brown Sugar
2t Cayenne Pepper
2t Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper

Season the shoulder roast with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker. Pour cider vinegar around roast. Cook on low 12 hours. Remove roast from cooker and shred meat. Strain liquid from cooker, reserving 2 cups. Add brown sugar, cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to liquid, whisk to blend. Place shredded meat back in cooker. Chop smoked chops, add to shredded pork. (Recipe calls for smoked ham but my butcher always has great smoked chops available, so that's what I used.) Pour liquid mixture over meat and stir. Hold meat in cooker on low until ready to serve.

Like I said, this was super easy and really tasty too ... but it's a lot of meat for just four people and I have leftovers. Lots of leftovers. I also have some leftover tortilla soup in the freezer (from another meal) and I thought it would be good with pork carnitas. Any idea how to reheat/reseason the pulled pork to make it less North Carolina and more south of the border?

Comments (13)