SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Salt! and Grease! They're not just for fast food any more!

plllog
14 years ago

I've been horrified for awhile now by the judges on Top Chef (which is generally fun to watch) because of their insistence on "seasoning" beyond that which younger chefs with less jaded taste buds think is appropriate.

Tonight, as I was eating a very good meal in a fine dining restaurant near Los Angeles, I was noticing that I was drinking a lot of water. I often do, but I'd had plenty during the day, and the weather was chilly. The first course had goat cheese in it so I wasn't thinking about salt, until one of my companions said she couldn't eat her vegetables because they were too oily and too salty. Then the main came with salty, olive oily vegetables, and salty meat. Not bad salty and greasy. Tom C. would probably think they were seasoned just right. They didn't taste bad. It was actually a really lovely meal. But for salt and grease could have rivaled a Big Mac.

Sigh. That whole salt ban thing we were talking about is starting to make more sense!!

And here I was proud of myself for figuring out that the improvisational barbecue sauce I made yesterday needed salt. I'm not anti-salt. But even with drinking all that water my hands are puffed up.

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH