SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Marble: they're not kidding about the etching!

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

So our counters have been in for 5 days, the sink's been operational for 4 days, and we're not even really cooking much in the kitchen yet.... but -yes- I already have a whole bunch of spots that don't wipe away.

So this is just an FYI for those of you who are debating whether you want marble or not, and not sure what to believe about all the rumors of staining and etching:

I've even been pretty obsessive about, for instance, not setting my wine glass on the counter. (And then feeling somewhat guilty for obsessing, after all I want to LIVE in this kitchen and not worry about it!) But clearly DH has not been as careful, since the rings I can see are definitely wine-glass-sized! Lots of little spots as well. These aren't deep, just non-shiny areas. Sort of like you'd see from drips, spills, or water-glass marks on granite... but those you can wipe away, and these you can't ;)

I'm actually quite happy about it, since I feel like the sooner is gets non-perfect, the better so that I can relax about it. But I AM surprised at how quickly it happens, even when the main cook/cleanup person is being extrodinarily careful and aware of acidic food drips!!!

As everyone says, the marks are only visible when the light hits the counter at a certain angle. But then it does jump right out at you! And it doesn't wipe away, of course. I am hoping that when the counter is covered with many, many more such marks -as I assume it will be shortly if these last 4 days prove anything- that the marks won't stand out so much... that it will all sort of blend in together. Right now, 99% of it is pristine and has a soft shine, so the etch marks stand out when the light hits them just right. Marble folks.. does that become less glaring when they're used more? I hope so. I don't want to have to be the Wine Glass Police every time we have friends over!

I am still absolutely, positiviely in love with my marble.

I hope this helps anyone who's trying to figure out if marble is for them!

Comments (69)