SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

I've recovered (I think!)

neetsiepie
10 years ago

Wow-what a beautiful event. The bride could not have been more gorgeous, the weather cooperated, the food was incredible, the decor-out of this world, and the love was profound.

I don't have many photos right now-waiting for DS to get them downloaded (he said tomorrow) and for others to post them on FB already. I didn't take pics, I was far too busy but made sure lots were taken.

A few kinks-wedding started late and we didn't get the photos taken till after the ceremony, which cut the party a bit short, but over all it was great. The kids didn't learn of the difficulties I had with the proprietor of the venue, and because my DD's are not the uber-OCD planner types that their mother is, there was a lot of last minute shopping for essentials (like flowers and undergarments for the bride), and we nearly didn't have ceremony music (another task for the bride to do but she waited till literally an hour before we were scheduled to show up for photos to get it squared away and thanks to some heroics it was done). One thing that was troublesome was that there was no cell service down where we were, so if we needed something or to reach someone, it was a drive to the top of the canyon.

The venue was gorgeous-and the bride and groom were blown away by the decor. Many were dubious of my vision, and even more never thought we'd get it set up in time-but it was done in plenty of time. I only wish I had taken over more of the planning-would have been less stress for me and the timing would have been better. Fortunately, I thought to pack my iron-as groomsmen shirts needed pressing and that was done just before guests arrived!

As I noted, the major fly was the proprietor-I paid for the venue from 4:30pm Thursday to 10:00 Sat. I showed up at the venue at 5:30 with a trailer full of wedding things-and there were a dozen cars parked there. A large group of people milling around, and I wondered who they were. Turned out-they were a wedding for Saturday who were REHEARSING! I was really put out-they were in areas I needed to be, and then I realized they were there an hour into MY paid time. They finally left after about 45 mins, which was kind of ok, since none of my help showed up until after they'd left (another part of the poor planning of others).

The proprietor (Bob) then kept popping in and out and I needed to get the tables set up, so we had to wait for him to get them out there. Then there was the matter of the table covers-I was told by his employee that he'd deliver them in the morning...well, I NEEDED them when we were there to set up for the wedding! Finally convinced him to go get them for me.

We had hung lights and things, but used twine and zip ties to secure everything, and Bob kept nervously hanging about to ensure no nails or staples, I guess...

Several times Bob kept coming around, even during the reception! Finally at about 10 pm he came to me and said he needed the table linens. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? We still are having our party, the linens are under many, many decorations. People are SITTING at the tables and you NEED YOUR LINENS??? Really?? I was pretty perturbed, I mean, I was FUMING. I guess the look I gave him caused him to back off a bit and I assured him he'd get his linens that night. So as guests were thining out, my friend and I went and stripped the white linens (I also had colored toppers on all the tables that I brought in), but it meant disrupting all the centerpieces, clearing the tables, etc. I also had to get someone to open up the trailer and dig out the box they came in...in the dark. I just stuffed them in the box, didn't bother to fold or anything, I was that mad.

When he came back to pick up his freaking box, I ASSURED him we would be cleared out by 10am, no worries. I think he felt bad because he kept remarking how beautiful everything looked (no thanks to him) and I just walked away. I finally got to my hotel after 1am and passed out for a few hours-had to be back at the venue by 7 am.

So I got to the venue by 7:30 (had stopped along the way to pick up our directional signs) and a few ppl were there to help clean up. Long story short, it all got done,not a speck on the ground, and every vehicle was pulled out by 9:58. Bob had come over several times already and at 8:30 he asked me for an update-to 'remind' me we only had an hour and a half left. Again, I must be pretty good at withering looks, because he skulked off and was heard telling the groom that this was one of the most amazing looking weddings he'd had out there. (DUH! I designed it!!)

So, after that long vent, it was very lovely. The bride told me as she hugged me goodbye that it wasn't great-it exceeded her expectations and went beyond wonderful, so that made it all worth it.

Comments (22)