SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farm_boy

I think I've poisoned my soil and I'm desperate!

farm_boy
13 years ago

Apparently I've managed to poison my soil--organically--and I'm at my wits end.

I started gardening this plot 8 years ago. The first year I double dug and used lots of organic fertilizer, and that first year was amazing! Then each year got less and less amazing. One year I asked a friend (who is a trained expert) for advice, and I showed him the results of my soil test and he told me to sprinkle Epsom Salt on the garden to raise some mineral or other.

Well, each year is worse. I keep buying products and getting advice from the county extension, a local organic fertilizer business, and friends, but now virtually nothing will germinate in it except green beans. In some patches not even weeds will grow. I've added tons of compost. When I set in seedlings they just sit there for a few weeks, then grow only a little. I get two or three soil tests a year, and they come out fine.

I haven't seen any earthworms in the garden for years. The soil is dark, with the texture of instant coffee. Even when I water it for several hours, the next day the soil is bone dry.

Advice?

How about buying a bunch of red worms and burying them just under the surface? Or should I just give up and start a garden elsewhere, or dig out all the old soil and truck in new soil?

Thanks

Comments (15)