SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

How retirement goes

Jamie
10 years ago

Dh retired 2 years and 3 months ago. We had lots of unusual circumstances for the first couple of years, including multiple family deaths, multiple rental nests, and, finally a home that needed lots of work and kept him from feeling settled until about 3 months ago. He is a homebody.

For the first year + all he ever said was something like "Retirement wasn't supposed to be like this". I found this aggravating because my husband is neither a planner nor a dreamer. For a decade I had tried to get him to envision a post-work like and the most descriptive image I could get from him was "sleeping late; no more deadlines".

He has now settled into a comfortable, total homebody state. I was away for the weekend and he chose to make ice cream and bread. I'm sure he went out to church, the store and the gym, but I know he didn't do any socializing.

I did get him to volunteer for a historic organization, but that's it.

Is this bad? Will year four or five of this be too much?
For me, not having social contacts would be very detrimental indeed. Do I have to light a fire under him? It's difficult to get a spark. He isn't showing signs of depression -- he loves books and TV and home -- but he's never had time to himself like this before either.

I work part time at home and I'm not sure what I'll do in retirement, either. Right now I cook and clean on days off, or go visit friends.

Comments (18)