SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
halfdecaf_gw

Tangent of 'mojo' thread-how do you avoid 'retiring?'

halfdecaf
17 years ago

My question comes not because I'm of official retirement age, but because my heart goes out to some recent posters who have indicated that the empty-nest / retirement phase of life has left them feeling isolated and "blah." So, up front, I admit that I'm asking this question from a perspective with which I'm not yet acquainted, so forgive me if my question seems inappropriate in any way.

But still, I'll be there some day, and I'm wondering if others in this phase of life have found ways to avoid some of the "blahs" that seem to come with children leaving home and dealing with what society tells us is "retirement age?"

I've been recently inspired by a 75-year old woman I know who just returned from a week-long trip helping build homes for victims of Hurricane Katrina. She can't stop smiling when she talks about her experience. I tell myself that some day I want to be like her. But I also know that age can bring physical limitations as well, and this kind of thing may not be a fit for everyone.

So, I'd love to hear from any of you who are in the "retirment" or "empty nest" phase of life and have found ways to avoid the "blahs" that sometimes accompany it. Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting