SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Lovely unexpected gift.

joyfulguy
16 years ago

Several years ago my son went to Toronto, 120 miles away, just after Christmas to help a friend move, and I helped, as well. This guy had a huge amount of stuff, and the place into which they were moving had 19 steps. When carrying a banana box full of heavy stuff, when you arrived near the top of that stairway ... you'd swear that someone was taking steps off of the bottom of the stair and adding them to the top!

For several years I've said that I wanted to make a charitable contribution or so every month, throughout the year ... but that year had not done so.

So made a special trip back to London to write a bunch of those charitable cheques on December 31, for receipts to be deductible for income tax in that year - an expensive trip!

On December 31 of this year ... sorry, "last year" ... was running around town writing charitable cheques (replay of a familiar scenario) but this time I have an excuse. There's a rule recently adopted by our government that when you contribute stock certificates to a charity, you get a receipt for the full amount of the value of the stock/gift ... but you get to avoid being taxable on whatever capital gain had been developed during the time that you owned it.

I'd contributed some shares to a local charity, that was to distribute the money to several of those charities, but it wasn't sure that the transaction would be completed before year-end.

Anyway, I visited my son's apt., and he wondered whether I'd drive him to Toronto yesterday (New Year's) in the afternoon, as he wanted to visit a new acquaintance that he'd met on the internet.

As we neared Toronto on New Year's afternoon, he called the friend, to arrange the time of meeting, at a local "Chapters" (a large book store). When we arrived, an employee at the entrance told us that they were closing in a few minutes (early), and son couldn't find the person that he was to meet.

Then he said that he had found the person, so I went outside with him and ...

... it was my precious daughter!

She'd gone to AZ a few weeks ago and is moving down there.

She was to come back to prepare some things for moving, but it wasn't to be around Christmas, as far as I knew.

She flew up (cheap flight - apple didn't fall far from tree, it seems) on Christmas day, notifying son a couple of days before - but don't tell Dad.

I'd called her on the evening of Dec. 31 and we had a nice chat ... I understanding that she was in AZ, but she was in TO (has an arrangement that runs phone through computer and is toll-free across U.S. and Canada).

So we had a nice dinner, repaired back to her apt. in TO for dessert and coffee, and some shifting and sifting of goods.

Very bestest Christmas gift of all!!!

ole joyful

P.S. I'm rather sad that she's moving so far away - AZ is a long way from here.

o j

Comments (20)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus