SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Unexpected Christmas Shopping

amylou321
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Usually, Christmas shopping is a breeze for me. I typically only buy for SO, and as i collect things in my Amazon wish list or Ebay watch list all year, i usually just click and go. Well, this year I was left scrambling. But i think I managed it well.

First, one of my coworkers bought me something, which was surprising given his past griping about exchanging gifts at work. We all agreed to not exchange gifts. But he bought me and only me something because he doesn't really get along with anyone else, and he tends to ask a lot of favors of my throughout the year. (swapping shifts,etc.) Anyway, he got me a pink inside out umbrella thing. So, i had to scramble to find him something fast. I ended up getting him a bald eagle salt and pepper shaker holder, since he collects eagles. That crisis averted.

Next, a woman who works in another department, and sometimes comes walking with me at work or comes over just to chat got me some chocolates, twice. I know this particular woman did not get them for me expecting anything back, and i know that she would not be hurt or even disappointed if i didn't get her something, but i couldn't NOT reciprocate. She is lovely and makes my sometimes seemingly endless walks go by faster. We both have a touch of the tacky about us. The fun kind. So i got her a light up Christmas tumbler. Just useful enough to justify its delightful gaudiness.

Then, the oddest of all, one of my sisters texted me: "You're Christmas present came in today." We (my adult family members) have not exchanged gifts in YEARS. I actually don't remember if we ever have. She did get me something small last year, but i thought it was more of a thank you, as I sold a BUNCH of her homemade soap and home grown purple hull peas for her. Also, she had back surgery and was out of commission for awhile, and i often went and cooked meals for her family and helped her clean her house during her recovery. So i thought it was a one time thing. Apparently not. So, as she collects Precious Moments, and since she has to make and bring deviled eggs to every family event because her husband can't eat our family version of them (they have bacon in them, and he is allergic to beef, pork, dairy and nuts) I found the CUTEST precious moment deviled egg platter. I really think she will love it. She loves to host parties so i know a cute platter will always go down well.

Last, but not least, i was gently awoken by SO at 1pm yesterday asking me, "Are you going shopping before you go to work?" Shopping for what, I ask. "Your Christmas present."

Really? You want me to go buy my own present?

"Well, no, I am going to give you the money. I just want you to go pick it out and get it."
Sigh

Well, i got up and headed to Target, because most of my Christmas lights at work have decided to rebel against me and i need to replace them. I was after twinkling icicle lights with WHITE wire. Well, apparently they went on clearance early this year, and the lights had been picked over. There was one box of icicle lights with white wire. They don't twinkle, but i will fix that. They had 5 boxes of icicle lights with green wire. Why anyone thought that was a good idea i don't know. I ended up with the one box with the white wire, and 8 twinkling net lights. So, that trip was basically a failure. Although i did find a glittery pink reindeer thing that almost made up for the light hogs.... I ran by Michaels because i wanted some of the big fat blanket yarn. I was gonna crochet a blanket for SOs 18 wheeler tonight and tomorrow night. But of course they were sold out. BUT, bright side, they had Christmas headbands 70% off. So i got one with a little snowman, one with a tiny present, and one with a giant poinsettia, all at a jaunty angle for some festive sass. Its a bit of a joke around my workplace that i always wear different seasonal headwear. If, for some reason I am not wearing a headband or hat during December, people will call or stop by and ask if i am feeling alright.

I ended at TJ Maxx, where i picked up some small Chantal pink heart shaped ramekins, in 3 different sizes, and a pink pizza pan. Then, once i got to work, i ordered some pink masterclass cookie sheets and other bakeware off ebay, 4 pairs of pants for work from JC Penny and a pink knife set from Amazon. Oh, and a jar with a heart on it. So i guess that is my present this year. He will most likely give me some cash as well to spend on any after Christmas sales.

I am going later this morning to shop for a few provisions for the next couple days. I am working and need drinks,food, and cat food for the little fur beggars out here. Also, I am going to see if i can find a drone with a camera on it for SO. I considered buying him one, but thought he wouldn't be interested. Then yesterday he mentioned getting one. Figures he would wait for 2 days before Christmas, after I already spent close to 1400 bucks on other stuff, to finally give me a hint about something he might want. It is a risk. He may get mad at me for getting it for him, since i already got him something. But he will have to get over it.

Did anyone else have to scramble for a last minute gift?

Comments (20)