SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

finally, curry success!

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

I've missed this place! I've been taking a quilting class for the last month and it's been consuming my life. That combined with things being crazy at work has left me with no time or energy to cook, much less clean. I did clean the 'fridge before starting to cook... I found the Thanksgiving turkey from last year way in the back (it was green in case you are wondering) along with a few other "science experiments". I haven't even turned the stove on in a month... all of my meals have been from freezer to microwave. Today was my first real day to myself, so I figured it was time to get back in the kitchen and see if the stove still worked. It did!

Hitherto, I've not had much success with curry. All the recipes I've tried have turned out terribly. Today, I found a simple recipe for coconut curry chicken that I thought looked good. I already had some coconut milk and chicken broth. (I found a can coconut milk that was old and the date said September 2009... should I toss it?)

It was easy to make and turned out really well. A little spicy and a little sweet. Of course the chicken skin was the best part. I've seen some recipes that call for boneless skinless chicken breasts, but I didn't want my first trip back in the kitchen to produce bland, dry cardboard. I used thighs. The only mishap was that the box of salt fell into the sauce! I decided to just mix everything up right in the baking pan which I did on the stove. When I was digging around for the curry above the stove, the salt fell down and into the sauce. It splashed all over... ran down the wall, cupboards, microwave, and mixer. What a mess! I hope there weren't any bad germs on the box of salt, because I didn't start over. Hopefully, an hour at 375 would have killed any bad stuff! I guess that's another reason to do as Lindac told me years ago and move all my spices from above the stove! I made the rice a little mushy because that's how I like it. I'll store the rice and sauce together, so that by tomorrow the rice will pick up more of the curry flavor.

Anyway, I will certainly make this again and would encourage anyone who is timid with curry or just wants to try a great recipe to give it a shot. I'll link the recipe below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The recipe

Comments (9)